Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Izu Peninsula 2 day itinerary help 2010/1/11 12:34
Hi,
Can anyone tell me what's the best pass for a 2 day itinerary? I'll be going from Tokyo. I want to visit places like Shirahama beach, Irozaki coast, Dogashima, Jogasaki coast and the 7 waterfalls. The pass for the south area seems to be double the price for the east, and Dogashima is west so is it not covered?

Also how should I go from one place to another? Any suggestions for the order I visit these places? I'll be likely to stay near Shimoda.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!
by Aaron (guest)  

... 2010/1/12 07:30
If you want to cover so many places in two days, I recommend to rent a car (unless you travel during a busy weekend or holiday period). To avoid driving in Tokyo, you could take a train as far as Atami or Ito or even Shimoda and rent the car from there.
by Uji rate this post as useful

From a local who like to go slow 2010/1/12 09:12
If you skip Dogashima, the south Izu pass will cover everything.

If you get the south Izu pass, you get a reserved seat on limited express between Tokyo and one selected destination within the south Izu area (return trip; the trains need to be specified when you buy the pass), and you can use the local train and Tokai buses within the ''free zone.'' So once you get to Shimoda, for example, from there, you can take the local train to travel between, for example, Shimoda and Jogasaki. From Shimoda, you can take the bus to Irozaki (at no extra charge with the pass).

You can do something like: take the limited express on day 1 to Shimoda, look around the port and the beach, take a return bus trip to Irozaki (maybe you can take the sightseeing boat at Irozaki), return to Shimoda and stay for the night. Next morning take the local train to Kawadu, from there take the bus up to the seven waterfalls, walk back down. In the afternoon (if you like fast travel pace) you can go to Jogasaki coast (at least the suspension bridge) from the nearby station, then take the limited express back to Tokyo.

You will need to watch out for the train schedule, though. So if you feel OK driving in Japan, and would like to visit Dogashima, you should rent a car as suggested.

For your information, on our past three visits over the past several years to the area from Tokyo (using the train pass), we travel at a slow leisurely pace, and we covered:
(1) on day 1, Shimoda and Irozaki, and on day 2 Shimoda coast walk and aquarium (small),
(2) on day 1, Kawazu cherry blossoms (only in Feb. to Mar.), on day 2 Seven waterfalls, hiking back to Kawadu, and Shimoda bay cruise,
(3) on day 1, Kawadu cherry blossoms, on day 2, hiked the whole stretch of Jogasaki coast.
by AK rate this post as useful

thaks for the help! 2010/1/12 13:13
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll be there on April 2, would the Kawazu cherry blossoms still be there? Also, does the south pass cover transport for everything i mentioned except for Dogashima?
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/12 17:13
Kawazu cherry blossoms are really early, they bloom from early Februrary to early March, so unfortunately not :(

Shirahama beach is near Shimoda train station (bus from Shimoda station to Shirahama beach is covered), Irozaki coast you can take the Tokai bus from Shimoda (covered), Seven watefalls does have a bus service by Tokai bus (covered).

Jogasaki coast is near Izu Kogen station, but I don't remember whether the bus from Izu Kogen train station to the Jogasaki coast is covered - maybe not. The bus frequency was quite limited that in one leg of our travel we had to take a cab back to the train station.

If you are interested, the boat cruise "inside" Shimoda bay, and the boast cruise "along" Irozaki coast come at extra charges.

Oh, now that I look at the "Odoriko Minami (south) Izu Free Kippu" map, I see that Dogashima is covered by the Tokai bus line (= covered by the pass). But you will need to check the bus schedule carefully and plan well to get there - also, doing all those places you mentioned initially, including Dogashima, within two days definitely sounds like too much on public transport. You would want another day for Dogashima.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread