Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shirakawago minshuku: recommendations? 2010/2/5 17:27
I'm planning my trip to Takayama/Shirakawago from Kyoto for April 15-16.

Initially I was to stay at Takayama Tenshoji Youth Hostel after seeing the last bits of the festival but the prospect of staying overnight in an authentic gassho-zukuri is just too tempting.

I tried to make reservations at Magoemon or Koemon via Japan Guests Houses web but was told they were fully booked. Shirakawago-Shimizu was suggested instead but I saw some unfavorable views online.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I'll only be staying one night so I'm hoping for the best experience possible!

Thank you so much in advance!
by ppppprin  

Minshuku at Shirakawago 2010/2/6 09:58
I stayed at Yokichi booked through Japanese Guest Houses. It was fine, comparable to most minshuku I have stayed at.

It was inexpensive and has to be evaluated in that light. You will not get a fullon ryokan experience. You will get clean and comfortable lodging, delicious food and friendly service (though I don't think they spoke much English)

I always take reviews in japan with a grain of salt as often they come from expectations which were not met.
by nozomi (guest) rate this post as useful

shimizu 2010/2/6 10:12
I stayed at Shimizu a few years back. The situation was, we arrived without reservations, just after a heavy snow, in late December, totally off-season. The woman at the tourist information office called several minshuku, always telling them that there were two FOREIGNERS who wanted a room - don't know if they were not interested in foreigners, not open, but nobody was full, that's for sure (and though I had asked for a room in Japanese I don't think she knew I knew what she was saying). Anyway, Shimizu took us in.
I made a point of getting a heater-operation explanation as the previous night we'd stayed in a room in Magome with a heater that turned itself off as a safety feature - which is fine, we just couldn't figure out how to turn it back on. we didn't make the same mistake twice.
We were the only guests at Shimizu. I found the room fine, the heater made it comfortable, the meal was good, and the hostess, while very quiet, was nice. Not as convivial to be the only people around the irori.
She gave us a discount card for the bath in town, which is lovely. The bathroom in the ryokan (sink & toilet) was a tiny fiberglass enclosure but hey, it worked. I have no complaint with Shimizu. Several other places in town seem fancier, but if they didn't want me on a cold winter night, phooey on them.
I have stayed in many lovely ryokans - make no mistake, this is not one. This is basic and simple. But it's fun and worth it to stay in Shirakawago. I wouldn't turn it down if it's what's available.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/6 11:13
Several other places in town seem fancier, but if they didn't want me on a cold winter night, phooey on them.

Showing up without a reservation is highly unusual in Japan. You can be glad that anybody was able to change their evening schedules for you, prepare a non planned meal and provide you with accommodation. When in Rome, do as the Romans do and make advance reservations for minshuku.
by Uji rate this post as useful

point taken 2010/2/7 01:27
And I agree with you Uji, and I say the same thing to other people, especially those who don't speak Japanese. I usually do make reservations, as it is so stressful for everyone in a small establishment to cope unexpectedly with guests who may or may not know the minshuku/ryokan 'routine'. And you can waste SO MUCH time searching for accommodation, let alone the factor that you pointed out, the meal preparation. When I show up unexpectedly I actually don't expect dinner, just a place to sleep.

Yet I have seen Japanese peple as well making use of the tourist information offices, for arrangements that very night. In Kurokawa it was practically standing room only.

And I doubt I'd have cared about the situation all that much had the person not made such a point of emphasizing first and foremost that it was two foreigners seeking accommodation, when I had asked her in japanese and understood what she was saying and was able to speak Japanese to the innkeepers as well. She never mentioned that to the places she called, and I consider that a major factor in whether or not a minshuku will accept a guest, quite frankly. I will never know if the minshuku might have happily accepted a Japanese tourist, but the unfortunate fact is I will always suspect they would have. So I retract my phooey on the minshuku and put it back on the particular individual at the tourist information office.

Things may have changed since then.
by Spendthrift (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/3/10 12:11
Thanks for all of your replies!
I've gone with Jyuemon - I saw from some reviews it was really authentic with a very colorful hostess :) [I don't think you can get more colorful than Japanese old lady with a samizen]
I'm lucky enough my sister can speak Japanese so she made the reservations...

Thanks again!
by ppppprin rate this post as useful

take a look at this site 2010/3/10 15:07
I am planning a trip to Shirakawago incl an overnight stay and the link below looked interesting specially re the lunch restaurant recommendation. Scroll to the bottom for blogs.
http://images.google.com.hk/imgres?imgurl=http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OatBCO...

Sorry about the length of the above link. I would be interested to hear about your experience in Shirakawago and whether any one understood English from the various reservation emails mentioned in the link above. Since I don't check this site so often due to my travels, you could email me at cfiltd@gmail.com

Have a great trip.
by mthk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago minshuku: recommendations? 2011/12/29 21:55
We're from Singapore and stayed at Kanja.

Two hostess attended to us perfectly inspite of just a smattering of Japanese . Meals were wonderful, especially dinnertime.

The famous Hida beef and freshly caught charcoal grilled trout was a nightly treat.
Minshiku comes with two meals provided.
by lena ng (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago minshuku: recommendations? 2011/12/30 14:17
If you like crowded streets and the usual plethora of tacky souvenir shops and food stands Shirakawago is great.
(We counted about 60 tour buses alone parked in the parking lot the day we went and virtually shoulder to shoulder with toruists in the towns streets!)

I would highly recommend travelling further up the valley to Suganuma/Gokayama but particularly Ainokura Village for a much more authentic and uncrowded feel.
We stayed at Goyomon minshiku (Gassho. style farmhouse)
which we booked through Japanese Guesthouses.
by Stewy63 (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Shirakawago minshuku: recommendations? 2011/12/30 14:25
Weekdays and seasons also make a big difference. Ogimachi can be very calm on regular weekdays and outside of the main travel seasons, as well as in the evenings and mornings (for those staying overnight). I personally never found Ainokura to be more "authentic". In fact, I found Ainokura less interesting and just as touristy as Ogimachi. But that is just my personal impression.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread