Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Geisha in Gion 2010/2/19 10:28
Can anyone tell me whether I have much chance of seeing Geisha in the evening in the streets of Gion?

Is there a day, time or location that would increase my changes, I would like to see one and perhaps take a photo if allowed.
by pacifictonz  

. 2010/2/19 12:29
i went to Gion late at night, around 9-10 pm. i found the place totally empty and i was about to go back to my hostel when some geisha suddenly came out of one house. i approached her and she was kind enough to let me take a picture of her.

later i was told that many geishas prefer to wait inside restaurants until late when the crowd has dissapeared. later they go out to catch a taxi and go home and this is when they are more accessible for the very few persons that happen to be walking around.

anyway, i recommend you to go in the afternoon to see and feel the nice atmosphere there and if you aren't lucky enough to see one, return at night.
by etoo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/2/19 13:19
Try weekends at early evening near the teahouses by the theater where the Maiko do the Miyako odori.
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/19 16:24
There is an increasing problem of tourists misbehaving towards geisha. Please behave respectfully. Don't disturb the geisha or anybody else with your photo taking and ask yourself whether you really need a photograph of her.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/2/19 16:58
The "issue" with geisha though is interesting. Although they are not celebrities known by name, they are still LIKE celebrities, so they don't really have much of a right to complain if people take pictures of them.

If you see one, there is nothing wrong with getting a picture, but don't touch them, pull at their clothes, stalk them, run them down, etc. These are the things that are causing problems. Tourists are getting TOO excited and demanding, leaving things like respect and civility behind. If she is walking somewhere and you snap a photo as she passes, there's nothing wrong with that.

I've seen geisha and got a blurry picture with one, but I asked if I could take it first. That's the best thing to do. (But they may actually say "no" if they are in a hurry or if they don't like you)

I had another encounter with a nasty maiko who gave an angry glare at my Japanese friend and walked close enough to him to force him to move as she scuttled off. Her snarl and lack of composure is probably why she is still only a maiko. lol.

I've seen others. Typically the best times to see them are when they are leaving to perform and when they are returning. They really do scuttle, walking as fast as possible to avoid being seen by tourists.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/19 17:10
I agree with Uji, and disagree with Rabbityama on some points. They are not celebrities just because they are what they are, and if they do not want to be photographed on their way to work, they have every right to say no (if asked) or look angry or annoyed.

Not doing things like touching, stalking them, or pulling at their clothes is a matter of course.

Just because they look/are special does not give all visitors the right to take any photo they want to, be it that you just snap photos of them, or that you ask. Consider yourself lucky if you "happen to" see some, simply respect them and their work, and just admire them in passing :)
by AK rate this post as useful

geisha 2010/2/19 17:22
I just want to add that you'll have a great chance that the geisha you'll see is "fake".
(esp. during day time)

Nowadays there are places where people can pay so they are dressed up like a real geisha.

I personally think this is a good thing.
Also the people at your home country will not know the geisha/maiko was not real. ;)

by Holthuijsen rate this post as useful

Geisha 2010/2/19 17:37
If it is true, I find it disturbing to hear of anyone mistreating another person. I find it very surprising to hear a tourist would 'grab and pull at the clothes' of anyone, geisha or otherwise. I can't imagine anyone doing that in my home country or overseas. If this is what Gion is like in the evening I might give it a miss anyway, it doesn't sound like a safe place to go particularly if there is an anti foreigner feeling in the area.
by Toni (guest) rate this post as useful

?? 2010/2/19 17:52
There isn't an anti-foreigner feeling in the area at all- not sire where you got that idea? It is just that the maiko and geisha are constantly pestered for photos by both Japanese and foreign tourists, and some of them are understandably tired of it. They are busy people and often have several appointments to go in one night.

While there is nothing wrong (and certainly nothing dangerous) about strolling around Gion in the hope of catching a glimpse of a geisha, I agree with Uji that it is better not to ask them for photographs.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/19 17:56
Toni,
There is no anti-foreigner atmosphere there at all - just enjoy walking around the Gion district, quietly taking in and respecting the atmosphere there, with the buildings and the streets and geisha on their way to work as well, if you happen to see them! :)

Hmm... 2010/2/19 18:13
AK:

The complaints from geisha in Japanese news when I was there were that foreigners WERE touching, pulling at their clothes, stalking and following them, etc. so whoever those people are obviously don't abide by what you and I consider to be a "matter of discourse".

And they ARE like celebrities, and they have chosen the job, knowing that people are fascinated by them and want to see them. I wasn't saying that harassment is justified, but a simple picture or a respectful inquiry to have a photo with them (providing you respect them if they refuse) should not anger them. The one I asked was very kind. She was waiting for her taxi outside of Gion. Generally, I don't think they mind, but they don't want to be surrounded by photo-takers (and the above issues).

And maiko/geisha are really not supposed to be seen looking sour or losing composure. It's unprofessional. The angry maiko I saw really didn't have a reason to be. We didn't have our cameras out or anything. We were just standing there and she emerged and scowled as she shuffled away. I suspect she may have assumed my Japanese friend was stalking her or led me to her, but that was not the case.

Not anti-foreign! 2010/2/19 18:17
Yeah Toni, it's not really a big issue.

News from geisha I think is relatively rare, so it was kind of popular when the media got the story that geisha were "upset". None of the geisha I saw were being torn apart. lol.

They avoid tourists because it's generally inconvenient for them to have people wanting photos when they are trying to get their cab or wherever. That's mostly why they do it. It's not because they hate foreigners.

... 2010/2/19 18:29
Rabbityama,

I get your point.

I guess I'm of the type who believes that even apparent celebrities (movie stars, for one) should be left alone if they are not on stage/walking the red carpet :) Movie actors dining quietly in a restaurant, for example, should not be approached even if that was just to ask quietly for an autograph, or have snap-photos taken casually, if you know what I mean.

I agree that geisha/maiko are not supposed to lose composure; all the more, the incident you've described suggests to me that they might have just one too many annoying incidents that unfortunately one could lose that graceful composure, even if that was due to an unfortunate misunderstanding on their part.

why take a chance? 2010/2/24 01:50
When I visited Gion the first time, I wandered around the backstreets for several hours, enjoying the atmosphere and the gorgeous little streets and temples. I didn't see a Geisha the entire time, EXCEPT maybe from behind getting into a taxi, but it was dark so I cannot be certain.

Several days later, I booked a walking lecture with Peter Macintosh covering the Gion area. Peter is a professional photographer and Geisha expert, and has lived in the district for many years. He also married a former Geiko, and recently completed a documentary movie about Geisha ! Within the first twenty minutes of exploring the streets with Peter, we met five Geisha, including three in full costume, who were happy to pose for a photo.

Peter was a great host, and to my mind, visitors would be best served booking a walking lecture with him. He answered all of my questions about the world of the Geisha, showed me several highlights in the district, and really provided one of the highlights of my entire trip to Japan.

I have no connection or association with Peter, other than being a satisfied customer.

More information --
http://www.petermacintosh.com/geisha.html
http://kyotosightsandnights.com/walking.html
by goldenflute rate this post as useful

Go to Kyoto Kokusai Hotel 2010/2/24 03:21
Don't stalk or even ask for a pic in the street. Put your self in their geta, being asked the same stupid questions a million times by poor foreigners.
If you want a free show and picture taking & maybe chit chat of same old same old, instead, go to Kyoto Kokusai Hotel on Fri/Sat evenings.
http://rsv.fujita-kanko.co.jp/cgi-bin/cms/kyoto/display_event.cgi?cat=...
Their English site does not show this.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

photos of geishas 2010/6/20 08:57
I was walking the streets near Gion and saw two maiko. I approached and said,"summimasen" and held out my camera. they smiled and said Hai.

I took a great photo and said "arigato gozaimasu"

It is always nice to say thank you when you impose on someones privacy.

I received more beautiful smiles
by difin (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread