Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trying to make the best of 9 days Tokyo 2010/2/27 05:23
I have been reading other posts and got better ideas what to do and plan but there are still some questions i have. Ok, i'll be going btw 22nd to 30th May with friends for free & easy. We plan to visit Tokyo and side tours.

I researched and concluded 2 days in Hakone to view Mount Fuji & stay a night in Ryokan, 2 days in Disneyland and Sea and rest of 5 days for rest of places of interest. I would really appreciate if guys with lots of experience help answer my questions. Also food can be a tricky part too cos outlets found online may not be as good as it says, would prefers from words of mouth recommnendation.

1. Which Ryokan offers the best view of Mount Fuji and nice and comfortable while at reasonable price, probably not more than 18k yen? The lower the better.

2. What other good food can be found in Hakone?

3. Is the romantic train worth the effort taking or can we simply take the normal train?

4. It was mentioned that no flash photography is allowed during tuna auction. Just to be clear, does it mean no using of flash but can still take photos or strictly not allowed to use camera?

5. Is it possible to buy various Sashimi, properly cut and slice, directly from the vendors or we can only buy the fish in whole?

6. There's many temples to go but don't wish to spend time going from temple to temple. What's the must-go temple if only going 1 or 2?

7. Can i find Pachinko everywhere in Tokyo or are there specific areas for it?

8. Please recommend as many super delicious eateries, restaurants, stalls, cafe, dessert house etc. I'm quite a gourmet guy & especially love Jap food! Even really nice carts for late supper like how we often seen in shows. Please really help out on food section, don't wish to waste stomach on wrong choices.

9. Major places of interest can be found throughout the net, so would like to have some recommendations on secluded or isolate yet nice places. My hobby is photographing too, so would like to take lots of nice picture with my 500D.

10. During the time i'm going to visit, is there any special event or festiveal etc that I can actually look forward to?

I know I sounded quite greedy with so many questions, please bear with me. This is my 1st time there and i want to make it a wonderful trip for my wife and i. Thanks a million!
by Elton (guest)  

... 2010/2/27 07:32
I researched and concluded 2 days in Hakone to view Mount Fuji & stay a night in Ryokan

Note that there is a high probability that you won't be able to see Mount Fuji from Hakone. If the sight of Mount Fuji is very important to you, you can increase your chances of actually seeing the mountain by visiting the Fuji Five Lake area, instead.

Is the romantic train worth the effort taking or can we simply take the normal train?

I guess you refer to the "Romance Car". A lot of people will not understand what you refer to if you say "romantic train". The main advantages of the Romance Car are reserved seating, forward facing seats and no transfer required between Shinjuku and Hakone-Yumoto. Furthermore, the first row of seats on some of the trains have a clear view onto the railway tracks. Very exciting for railway fans. But if you are on a budget, I recommend to take the regular trains.

It was mentioned that no flash photography is allowed during tuna auction. Just to be clear, does it mean no using of flash but can still take photos or strictly not allowed to use camera?

Photography is allowed, but flash photography is not allowed.

Is it possible to buy various Sashimi, properly cut and slice, directly from the vendors or we can only buy the fish in whole?

The vendors generally do not cater to tourists, but only to other businesses. It is best not to bother them. If you want to try some fish, go to the restaurants found on and around the market.

There's many temples to go but don't wish to spend time going from temple to temple. What's the must-go temple if only going 1 or 2?

Sensoji:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3001.html

Can i find Pachinko everywhere in Tokyo or are there specific areas for it?

They are distributed over most of Tokyo.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/2/27 11:05
Number 6…

Well, since the suggestion above is currently under construction and won’t be finished until late November 2010 (you can still see the grounds and I believe you can go inside, but all the outside is covered in scaffolding and tarps) I would recommend Meiji Jingu (http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3002.html). It is very nice and not as much of a tourist trap as other places. You will still see the bus loads of tour groups, but if you pay the 500 yen entrance fee, you can get into the teahouse garden and see the fishing dock and stuff, which is well worth it. None of the tourist groups go in there.

Number 8...

Go to Harajuku, to Takeshita Dori and get crepes from Angel Heart. They are to die for! Greatest thing in the world.

Also, if you are up for a fun night, there is a place in Shinjuku, just up from the main entrance to Kabukicho, called Neo Tokyo Fooding Bar Mysterious. Look for a small hole in the wall surrounded by blue lights with a small gold printed sign with the name in English. If you almost fall down some surprise stairs then you are in the right place.

It is one of those themed restaurants with separate seating booths. Great cheap food (especially if you order a few dishes and just share it around) and their cocktail list is to die for. I highly recommend the spicy sausage dish and the Mysterious Cocktail. Four of us went and stuffed ourselves silly, topping it off with two drinks and a crazy nice dessert each and it worked out to be about 3500 yen a head.

Number 9.

The Golden Gai!!!!!!! It is in Shinjuku. I am a photographer as well and honestly, that was one of the nicest places to visit. It has a real old feel to it. From what I can tell, it started out as an army barracks during the war and then turned into a hive of black market activity, especially once Kabukicho started to thrive in the mid 80’s.

Nowadays though, it is a series of small, narrow little streets housing tiny, dingy little bars, most of which only fit about 5 to 10 customers. Power lines crisscross overhead and you see washing hanging in odd places between all the bars. It is a bit of an artist’s hangout now so the entire place has a very derelict yet bohemian feel. However, they don’t normally accommodate to foreigners (or even strangers for that matter; they had lots of issues with the Yakuza back in the day and now it is more regular and select clientele) so you will pretty much be limited to just wandering around and taking photos. It is still hella worth it though.
by Minkagreen rate this post as useful

Any place of interest in Fukigoko? 2010/2/27 17:50
I did consider going to Fujigoko instead but from the guide, it seems there's nothing much to do over there. Is there any nice and reasonable Ryokan that we can stay in Fujigoko?
by Elton (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/28 02:42
but from the guide, it seems there's nothing much to do over there.

There is definitely less to do than in Hakone, but there are some museums, caves and walking trails that can be enjoyable.

Is there any nice and reasonable Ryokan that we can stay in Fujigoko?

There is a large range of places to chose from:
http://www.japanican.com/japaninfo/Mesh.aspx?Mesh=190304

There are several inexpensive options listed on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6900.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread