Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary: osaka-kyoto-tokyo 2010/2/27 06:49
I will be traveling to Japan at the end of March! :) I am getting really excited, but as it's the first time that I'm planning a trip, I'd like to know if my itinerary is do-able.

As well, I'd like some help with transportation as I'm not sure what passes would work best (for sure we're not getting the 7-day JR pass cause I don't think we can make full use of it)

Thanks for your help/suggestions in advance!

I will be travelling with my sister and friend (all in the late 20's). We will be flying out from Toronto, Canada on Mar. 24th for a quick stopover in Hong Kong, then will join a local tour to Fukuoka for 5-6 days (currently waiting on confirmation of tour).

Assuming everything goes as planned, our tour will end in Osaka on Apr. 1st, and so our leisure travelling starts then. So far, I have the following:

day 1, Apr. 1st: Osaka
- Osaka aquarium
- tempozan market place
- namba area walking around and eat (staying at dotonburi hotel)

Question: Was thinking of getting the Osaka Kaiyu Ticket that includes admission to Aquarium & Osaka municipal transportation network (subway, New tram, City Bus). Do all subway stations in Osaka sell this ticket/pass?

day 2, Apr. 2nd: Osaka/Koyasan
- buy the Koyasan world heritage pass at Namba station and take Nankai line
- walk around Koyasan and stay overnight at temple (already made reservations)

day 3, Apr. 3rd: Koyasan/Osaka
- attend morning prayer & fire ceremony then have breakfast
- leave Koyasan in the morning/noon back to Osaka
- Osaka Castle & area
- walk around Umeda area & have dinner
- Umeda Sky Building's floating garden observatory

day 4, Apr. 4th: Osaka/Kyoto
- would like to leave Osaka between 7am-8am and head to Arashiyama
- tenryu-ji, okochi sanso, togetsukyo bridge, iwatayama monkey park and have lunch, leave Arashiyama around 1-1:30pm back to Kyoto station
- check in hotel (Tokyu hotel)
- Kyoto handicraft centre
- philosopher's path
- gion for dinner
- Maruyama Park, cherry blossom viewing at night

Questions: As each of us will have a medium sized luggage, and are planning to start our day in Arashiyama, what is our best transportation mode?

I was thinking of taking JR from Osaka to Kyoto then drop of luggages there, then take JR Sagano line to Arashiyama. But, it is better to take send our luggages from Osaka to our Kyoto hotel and take the private rails to Arashiyama?

day 5, Apr. 5th: Kyoto/Tokyo
- Fushimi Inari, hoping to reach there by 9am at the latest and walk around (will not have enough time to make it to the very top)
- then leave around 11:30am and head to Gion area for lunch
- arrive to Gion Shinti Koku Kabukai by 1pm for Miyako-odori (tea service at 1:10pm + show at 2pm), finishes at 3pm
- walk around Kyoto station
- transfer to Tokyo by Shinkansen Nozomi (hoping to catch a train between 5pm-6pm)
- head to hotel in Shinjuku

Questions: Is there dress code for Miyako-odori? Is picture taking allowed?

I also want to fit Kyomizu temple in my itinerary, but don't know where I can slot it in, any suggestions? I heard that it's walkable from Kyomizu temple to Gion. Is that true? How long will the walk take?

I know that weekend will be very busy in Kyoto...would taking the bus still be the best option (1 day bus pass for 500 yen), or should I stick with subway + walking?

Buying a ticket on the Shinkasen...able to buy upon arriving to station, or have to buy in advance?

day 6, Apr. 6th: Tokyo
- head to Tsukiji Fish Market in the morning and have early lunch
- walk to Ginza for a little shopping (sister wants to check out the area where there's Shiseido, Blue Label..etc)
- take subway from Ginza to Akihabara

Questions: I read that there are a few antenna shops in Ginza, are they worth a visit? Any other suggestions for places we could go that late afternoon/evening?

day 7, Apr. 7th: Tokyo
- Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden
- transfer to airport (arrive by 2pm I think international flights normally need 3 hrs in advance check-in?)
- return to Canada (flight around 5pm
by edith (guest)  

... 2010/2/27 08:03
The Japan Rail Pass will not pay off.

day 1, Apr. 1st: Osaka
- Osaka aquarium

Expect the aquarium to be crowded as it is school holidays.

Do all subway stations in Osaka sell this ticket/pass?

Yes.

day 4, Apr. 4th: Osaka/Kyoto

Be warned that day 4 is rather packed, but possible if you travel at a fast pace.

Questions: As each of us will have a medium sized luggage, and are planning to start our day in Arashiyama, what is our best transportation mode?

Depending on the location of your Osaka hotel, you can take Hankyu (from Umeda via Katsura to Arashiyama) or JR (JR Kyoto and Sagano Lines via Kyoto) to Arashiyama, deposit your luggage in a coin locker and pick them up again when continuing to your hotel. Be warned that it is likely to be one of the busiest days in Arashiyama (Sunday during the cherry blossom season) of the year and that coin lockers might all be taken. Maybe it is safer (although more time consuming) to deposit your luggage in your hotel first and then proceed to Arashiyama.

Sending your luggage from hotel to hotel (next day delivery) is another option, but obviously more expensive. Note that there is also a same-day luggage delivery city from Kyoto Station to hotels in Kyoto for around 700 yen per piece, but the counter might be crowded on a Sunday during the cherry blossom season.

I also want to fit Kyomizu temple in my itinerary, but don't know where I can slot it in, any suggestions?

If you travel at a quick pace, you might be able to pack in Fushimi Inari and Kiyomizudera into the morning of your second day in Kyoto.

I heard that it's walkable from Kyomizu temple to Gion. Is that true? How long will the walk take?

About 30 minutes without major breaks.

I know that weekend will be very busy in Kyoto...would taking the bus still be the best option

No, you should avoid buses whenever possible, especially in the Arashiyama area. Take rail bound traffic and walk whenever it is an option.

Buying a ticket on the Shinkasen...able to buy upon arriving to station, or have to buy in advance?

You can buy it just before departure, but if you wish to make seat reservations, there is a risk that all seats are booked out. More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2016.html

I read that there are a few antenna shops in Ginza, are they worth a visit?

Do you mean the antenna shops of Japanese prefectures? Unless you have an interest in any of these prefectures, they are probably not worth a visit.

Any other suggestions for places we could go that late afternoon/evening?

Some suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2164.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks for your advice! 2010/2/27 12:20
Thanks very much Uji for answering so many of my questions! You have certainly helped confirm a few do's and don't do's on my list!

I didn't realize Apr. 1st was a school holiday, but I guess we'll still head to the aquarium that day. If it gets too crowded, we'll just cut our touring short...as long as we see and take pictures of the whale shark we'll be happy :)

A quick question about the Koyasan World Heritage pass. Can it be bought a day in advance? If not, what time do the sales window at the station open?

Our hotel in Kyoto is like close to Karasuma Line (Subway): 10minutes walk from Gojo Station (exit 4) and from Hankyu Kyoto Line: Omiya Station City Bus (Route 28) 3 minutes from the Bus Stop ''Horikawa-Gojo''. Since avoiding all buses is the way to go, I think I will really consider your suggestion of either using a coin locker in Kyoto Station or same day luggage delivery depending on the line up and availability. Worse comes to worse, we'll drop them off at the hotel. Thanks for laying out all the options for me!

If I do try to pack Kiyomizudera into the morning of my second day in Kyoto, should I set out for Fushimi Inari earlier (arrive no later than 8am)? Then leave around 10:30am for Kiyomizudera before heading to Gion?

If that is do-able, and if I don't have enough time to walk from Kiyomizudera to Gion, what would be my next best transporation option?

As an overall question, I don't think I can make enough use of a Kansai Pass or any passes. So, in my case, would the best way for my trip be to buy the subway & JR rail tickets separately as I go?

Thanks again for your time and help! :)
by edith (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/27 13:05
A quick question about the Koyasan World Heritage pass. Can it be bought a day in advance? If not, what time do the sales window at the station open?

Ticket windows open with the first trains. No need to purchase in advance.

If I do try to pack Kiyomizudera into the morning of my second day in Kyoto, should I set out for Fushimi Inari earlier (arrive no later than 8am)?

Yes, an early start would improve your chances to see both places within the morning. And Fushimi Inari doesn't have a closing time. So, you can go there as early as you wish.

If that is do-able, and if I don't have enough time to walk from Kiyomizudera to Gion, what would be my next best transporation option?

I recommend to take the Keihan Railway from Fushimi Inari to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station and walk from there to Kiyomizudera. And afterwards walk from Kiyomizudera to Gion.

So, in my case, would the best way for my trip be to buy the subway & JR rail tickets separately as I go?

I would consider using a 3-day Kansai Thru Pass for Koyasan and one additional busy day in the Kansai region and not buy the Koyasan Heritage Ticket. And then buy single tickets on the remaining day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/2/28 02:40
thanks for your suggestions for my transportation mode and routes Uji! You've been very helpful! :)
by edith (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread