Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Itinerary with Infant 2010/2/27 07:46
Hi All,

We are travelling with our 8 month old for the following days.
Our main concern is simplify transport with our daughter.
This is our first visit and our interests are sightseeing and some shopping.

We are trying to minimize our subway and train time in Tokyo as much as possible so that we can walk around nearby shopping and neighbourhoods.

5-Apr Monday Narita - Tokyo (Stay @Ueno)
6-Apr Tuesday Tokyo
7-Apr Wednesday Tokyo
8-Apr Thursday Tokyo-Takayama
9-Apr Friday Takayama
10-Apr Saturday Takayama-Kyoto
11-Apr Sunday Kyoto (Stay @S. Higashiyama)
12-Apr Monday Kyoto
13-Apr Tuesday Kyoto-Nara
14-Apr Wednesday Kyoto
15-Apr Thursday Kyoto-Hiroshima
16-Apr Friday Kyoto
17-Apr Saturday Kyoto-Tokyo (Stay @Shinjuku)
18-Apr Sunday Tokyo
19-Apr Monday Tokyo-Narita

A couple of questions regarding simple travel:

- Does this itinerary make sense?
- Can we reserve all trains ahead of time at Ueno on our second day?
- If we drop Takayama is there a way to make this trip using a 7 day JR pass (+cash fare) instead of 14 day pass and same some money?
- We are planning to ship some luggage ahead to hotel in Kyoto so we don't have to carry on subway/train - can this be done at Narita?
- Can we ship our luggage direct from Kyoto to Narita?
- Hyperida recommends several routes to Ueno via Nippori or Tokyo stations. Which route/line is best for reserve seat and less busy transfer station?
- Our departure at Narita is 1130h. What is best train/subway from Shinjuku at 0730h? Or should we take airport limobus? (limobus dep Shinjuku at 0800 and arr at 0955 - is this too close to flight?)
- Is it practical go to from Kyoto to Hiroshima city for a day trip? (We are not going to Miyajima)

Thanks so much for your advice.
by maigo  

... 2010/2/27 08:13
Does this itinerary make sense?

Yes. A day trip to Hiroshima is busy, but possible.

Can we reserve all trains ahead of time at Ueno on our second day?

Yes. But if the ticket counters are crowded, you might want to split your visit to the station into two or three sessions out of consideration to the other travelers.

If we drop Takayama is there a way to make this trip using a 7 day JR pass (+cash fare) instead of 14 day pass and same some money?

Yes, of course. The itinerary can be created entirely according to your liking. You could reduce your time in Kyoto to fit it all into seven calendar days. Whether you are willing to do that or not is personal decision.

We are planning to ship some luggage ahead to hotel in Kyoto so we don't have to carry on subway/train - can this be done at Narita?

Yes:
http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/guide/service/list/svc_05_t1.html

Can we ship our luggage direct from Kyoto to Narita?

Yes, but you will have to send the luggage at least two nights before your travel day, I believe,

Hyperida recommends several routes to Ueno via Nippori or Tokyo stations. Which route/line is best for reserve seat and less busy transfer station?

From where to where do you wish to travel?

Our departure at Narita is 1130h. What is best train/subway from Shinjuku at 0730h?

I recommend to take the Narita Express or airport bus and aim for arrival about three hours before the departure of your flight.

About the Narita Express:
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/

About the airport bus:
http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/bus_services/narita/shinjuku.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Itinerary with Infant 2010/2/27 11:16
Is it practical go to from Kyoto to Hiroshima city for a day trip?

Yes it is. What train you take depends on whether or not you use your rail pass to cover the trip.

If you don't then you should take the "Nozomi" service both ways as it is easier.

If you do use your rail pass then you are restricted to using "Hikari" or "Kodama" trains. Normally you have to change trains at least once for a long journey by Hikari, such as Kyoto to Hiroshima, but luckily there are a few early-morning Hikari trains that run this route with no change of trains necessary. These trains leave Kyoto at 7:20, 8:02 and 8:20 in the morning.

On the return trip by Hikari, however, you will more than likely have to change trains at least once at some point on the route... the location where you switch will depend on the specific time that you are traveling. Or to make it simpler you could just take the Hikari to where it terminates - Shin-Osaka station - and then take the JR Kyoto Line Special Rapid train back to Kyoto.
by JRHorse rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/28 13:02
Thanks Uji & JRHorse,

To clarify:

Hyperida recommends several routes [bs from Naritia to Ueno via Nippori or Tokyo stations. Which route/line is best for reserve seat and less busy transfer station?

Limobus According to Limobus timetable the bus leaves Shinjuku at 0800 and arrives at Narita at 0955. This isn't early enough for a 1130 flight. This means we will take subway + N'Ex.

We will be with a baby and I worry about the subway rush at 0730. Can I go with my wife and baby in the special subway car for women and children?

For j-guide readers, I found the link for Yamoto with all the info for airport/hotel pickup/delivery:
http://www.kuronekoyamato.co.jp/english/services/airport.html

by maigo (guest) rate this post as useful

Early Departure 2010/2/28 14:41
I think three hours is the recommended headway for an international departure out of Narita, so I suggest you board Narita Express 9 (Shinjuku 7:06 - Narita Airport ~8:35). If you take the subway to connect to this train then it'll be before the morning rush.

Men are not permitted to ride in the women's cars during the rush.
by JRHorse rate this post as useful

A few ideas 2010/2/28 21:21
If I understand correctly you are asking about the narita to ueno train. IMHO just take the Keisei Skyliner which is direct from the airport to Ueno.JR pass not valid on this service but it is cheap(ish).
We have a 18 month old and a 4 year old and leave next Saturday. We are getting a 7 day pass and doing the following route:
Day 1- Tokyo (Rest and disney!)
Day 2- Tokyo (disney)
Day 3 -Tokyo (disney)
Day 4- Tokyo to Hiroshima maybe stop at Himeji. Early start and long day.
Day 5 Hiroshima to Kyoto
DAy 6 Kyoto
DAy 7 Kyoto
Day 8 Kyoto to Kanazawa
DAy 9 Kanazawa to Takayama
Day 10 Takayama
Day 11 Takayama to Matsumoto by bus over alps
Day 12 Matsumoto to Shinjuku
Day 14 Home via Narita Express.
Our 7 day pass starts for the trip to Hiroshima and ends in Takayama. We then bus to MAtsumoto and bus to Shinjuku (bus is actually quicker on both routes and cheaper). We obviously have to pay the transfers to and from the airport but still a big saving over pass. Again in my opinion I reckon you are overdoing Kyoto. MAybe cut a day or two and do trips from Tokyo instead not involving JR pass.
by Tim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread