Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

takayama festival 2010/2/28 10:36
I plan go to Takayama 14 April 2010 after visit Shirakawago, probably after lunch arrive. But I can't get accomodation in takayama, there is train leaving 19.40 to Nagoya where I can stay overnight . Is it enough time to see evening festival?
what time the best to have around in takayama morning or afternoon? What time the parade is? can I leave luggage in takayama station when I do sightseeing in there?
Thank you.
by yanthi (guest)  

... 2010/3/1 03:28
Is it enough time to see evening festival?

The evening festival starts around 18:30, and you will have to leave the western end of the old town by around 19:20 in order to catch your train. That does not leave you a little bit of time to see the evening parade. Note also that bad weather can lead to cancellation of the parade.

what time the best to have around in takayama morning or afternoon?

It depends on your personal preference. If a quick look of the festival is enough to you, I recommend to arrive by the time the second puppet performance takes place at 3pm. But if you want to delve a little bit more into the festival atmosphere, the earlier will be the better. The first puppet performance startsat 11am.

can I leave luggage in takayama station when I do sightseeing in there?

I think there is a luggage storage service at the station during the festival days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

takayama festival 2010/3/2 17:57
thank you uji.. very helpful.
by yanthi (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/3 03:32
Two corrections to my previous post:

19:20 would be the very latest time to leave the western end of the old town (i.e. the area close to the station) in order to make your train, assuming that you have tickets and luggage all ready. To be safe, you might want to leave a little bit earlier than that.

And the second sentence should have been:
"That leaves you with only a little bit of time to see the evening parade."

Staying at Minoota? 2010/3/6 00:39
Hi, I will also be in Takayama on the 14th. I found out that the last train leaving Takayama to Minoota is at 9.30pm. So I booked a hotel at Minoota instead, haha. Get an extra 2 hours to spend at the festivel.

But it is gonna be tricking - I always have a phobia of taking last trains, haha.
by LuciferLight rate this post as useful

takayama festival 2010/3/8 15:33
Instead of go to Nagoya from Takayama at 19.20, I decided to take night train to Ueno via Toyama by EXP Noto, from Takayama at 20.22, at least I have another 1 hour to stay there. is it possible like that.
thank u

... 2010/3/9 07:01
Instead of go to Nagoya from Takayama at 19.20, I decided to take night train to Ueno via Toyama by EXP Noto, from Takayama at 20.22, at least I have another 1 hour to stay there. is it possible like that.

No, the Noto does not operate on April 14.

takayama festival 2010/3/9 11:22
I didn't know that on 14 April there is no night train to ueno, why? Exp Noto only running certain day? or because of there is festival? are sure uji? otherwise I have to arrange other way.
thank u

... 2010/3/9 14:02
Exp Noto only running certain day?

From March 13, the Noto stops to run every night. Instead, it will run only on selected days. April 14 is not among them.

takayama festival 2010/3/9 14:37
I checked through expedia for 31st march, (for April not available yet) the same day with 14th April (tuesday) the train from takayama at 20.22 to Inotani and Toyama with JR Takayama line then to Ueno with EXP Noto. at 23.01.
How can I find the right timetable for April, expedia not available yet? where the best place to stay after Takayama festival?
I am bit confuse now.

... 2010/3/10 07:43
How can I find the right timetable for April, expedia not available yet?

Hyperdia does still not seem to have entered the new timetables (valid from March 13) into their database. But most trains are not affected or only in a minor way. The Noto train is one of the small number of major changes.

where the best place to stay after Takayama festival?

Definitely in or around Takayama. I myself stayed in nearby Furukawa, where the ryokan offered a shuttle bus to the evening festival after an early dinner. I stayed here:
http://www.japanhotel.net/data/hotel_information.asp?HotelID=675

... 2010/3/10 08:17
The obvious problem is that most hotels in and around Takayama are booked out by now. Sometimes rooms suddenly open up a few days before the festival due to travel agencies being unable to sell all the rooms they were holding or due to other cancellations. If I remember correctly, Japanican even had a small special campaign about some rooms still being available, but I am not sure whether my memory is correct. Of course, it would be risky to wait and see because there is no guarantee that rooms are actually going to open up:
http://www.japanican.com/

Takayama Festival 2010/3/12 13:43
Thank u Uji... very helpful.

reply to this thread