Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

kansai to kanto whirlwind tour 2010/3/1 14:30
hello!

i want to go to the following:
hiroshima (miyajima), osaka, nara, kyoto, himeji, takayama (shirakawa-go) (or somewhere there's snow), tokyo (akihabara), and mitaka (Ghibli museum)

can you recommend how best to go around these places? ill be comin in and goin from KIX at osaka

would it be better to go from osaka-nara-kyoto-takayama-tokyo-mitaka-tokyo-hiroshima-miyajima-hiroshima-osaka; or should i go first to miyajima from osaka then proceed northward? whats the better alternative?

would you think its possible to go through all these places in 8 days? (given that it'd be fast paced :P )

im thinking of going around march next year (too late to ready for the trip this year), and would like to see some snow (i come from a tropical country) and maybe see the sakura blossom; i was considering march 23-30 for this, thinking that there'll still be snow in Takayama/shirakawa-go around this time, and as per the average blossoming time, sakura starts to bloom in the osaka or tokyo area. do correct me if im wrong :)

i welcome any and all of your comments and suggestions

i apologize for the lengthy entry, i just figured to throw the lot in 1 swoop rather than break them into sub posts

TIA!
by amhuirnin  

... 2010/3/3 04:11
would it be better to go from osaka-nara-kyoto-takayama-tokyo-mitaka-tokyo-hiroshima-miyajima-hiroshima-osaka; or should i go first to miyajima from osaka then proceed northward? whats the better alternative?

Either way can be okay. For details, it might also depends at what time of the hour you arrive on your first day and at what time you leave on the last day.

would you think its possible to go through all these places in 8 days? (given that it'd be fast paced :P )

I recommend at least eleven days for the destinations listed for the medium-fast paced traveler. But if you travel at an extremely fast pace, you might be able to pack them into eight days (not including arrival and departure date). I certainly don't recommend it.

and would like to see some snow (i come from a tropical country) and maybe see the sakura blossom; i was considering march 23-30 for this, thinking that there'll still be snow in Takayama/shirakawa-go around this time, and as per the average blossoming time, sakura starts to bloom in the osaka or tokyo area. do correct me if im wrong

Takayama is unlikely t have snow in late March, but in Shirakawago you might still be able to see some last remaining snow (of bad quality). But there is a high risk that no snow is left even in Shirakawago.

Similarly high is the risk that late March is too early for cherry blossoms. In the average year, the trees only just start to open around the last days of March, meaning that full bloom is not usually reached until early April.

So if you are unlucky, you could miss both snow and cherry blossoms.

If you travel in the second half of April, you could see the Kurobe-Tateyama Alpen Route with some amazing snow landscapes and maybe catch the cherry blossoms in Nagano or the Tohoku Region.

About the Alpen Route:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e7550.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks! 2010/3/3 04:36
thanks uji for your answers

well, with my trend in luck i think its quite possible to miss them both like you said

wouldnt it be too crowded if i travel in april? would you know of the best possible travel dates?

btw, the usual flights from the co. im flying with has this schedule:

Arrival: 1835 H Osaka (Kansai)
Departure: 1920 H Osaka (Kansai)

again thank you very much uji

i was half afraid no one would reply :P

by amhuirnin rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/3 10:54
wouldnt it be too crowded if i travel in april?

No, April is not very crowded except the popular cherry blossom spots. To the opposite: a lot of family oriented attractions are busier in late March than in April due to spring school holidays.

would you know of the best possible travel dates?

For cherry blossoms and snow in the same trip, I recommend to travel during mid April, see cherry blossoms around Nagano or Kanazawa, depending on the flowering schedule. And end your stay with the Alpen Route on one of the first days after the opening of the route (usually opens April 17 - avoid the first day and weekends).
by Uji rate this post as useful

back to planning :) 2010/3/3 15:41
thanks uber much uji!!!

now, i think its back to the drawing board for me; time to rework my itinerary, but at least i have your answers to guide me :)

again thank you!
by amhuirnin rate this post as useful

reply to this thread