Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another JR Pass Question 2010/3/2 08:10
I'm traveling to Japan on March 19th for the first time. I'll be staying for 8 days. Right now my current plan is to stay around Tokyo, although I'm open to visiting other areas that are nearby. Should I get an unlimited 7 day train pass, or should I get daily passes? If I'm mostly going to be in and around Tokyo, is it worth it to get an unlimited pass that gives me access to the entire country? It seems like I may not need the unlimited pass for $321 and could save quite a bit of money by buying daily passes. However, I'm thinking it may be easier to just avoid the headache and get the unlimited pass.

Also, will the unlimited JR Pass allow me to easily travel around Tokyo, or will I need additional passes to use things like the subway? Do I even need to use the subway, or will the JR Pass trains be sufficient?

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to visiting Japan for the first time!

- David
by Daveeyboy  

. 2010/3/2 10:47
For the Japan Rail Pass nationwide to pay off in the Tokyo area you would have to ride trains approximately 25 times per day for 7 days. I think that should put it in perspective for you.

If you are just in and out of the Tokyo area, buying a SUICA or PASMO card (they are not passes) just stored value cards and paying as you go is the best plan. Medium distances could be covered by a varitey of day passes. Day passes are not required every day.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

Use Hyperdia 2010/3/2 11:17
To see if you will get value from a JR Pass you have to think in YEN: so use Hyperdia to check out the cost of you possible trips and then see if they add up to the cost of a 7 day pass: 28300YEN: forget the exchange rate.
A return trip to Kyoto/Osaka from Tokyo will pay off
If you are going to be in and around Tokyo only, but wish to go to eg Nikko or Hakone, as day trips, then look into the individual deals for those areas on railways other than JR (see links on this forum to both areas)
Research a bit more and then decide.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread