Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo 8-day itinerary and some qns 2010/3/3 01:00
Hello mina-san, I'm so excited! I'll be in Tokyo next week for 8-days (my 1st trip). Please comment if my itinerary looks ok and I hope you can help me with some details.

Day 1 (sat)- Reaching in the afternoon so will explore Shinjuku area after check-in.

Day 2 (sun)- Shopping in Harajuku/Shibuya/Akihabara/Ginza/Tokyo/Ikebukuro
(Have not decided which districts to go 1st, I'll be shopping on the 7th and 8th day too)

Day 3 (mon)- Puroland

Day 4 (tues)-Mt Fuji

Day 5 (wed)- Studio Ghibli (Can I just get the tickets @ Lawson's on Day 1?)

Day 6 (thurs)- Disneyland (best way to get tickets beforehand?)

Day 7/8 (fri/sat) - Shopping in Harajuku/Shibuya/Akihabara/Ginza/Tokyo/Ikebukuro (Shop at the other districts I didn't go to on Day 2)

Questions:

Which train pass would be the best value for my travel plans?

Should I go to Mt Fuji by Q-tours Romance Car option @ 9000yen or Japanican's tour which returns via Shinkansen @ 16000yen? Which would be a more memorable experience?

Other places of interest for shopping and food or must-see cultural stuff in Tokyo (besides shrines).

Must-go places to take photos (I'm staying in Shinjuku area).

My itinerary looks abit empty on day 3 and 5. Any suggestions?

If intending to take the limo bus from the airport 2-way, what is the best way to make the arrangement? Do you need to book in advance, specific timing?

Cool souvenirs/must-buy items to bring home?
Any must-go shopping malls for interesting/affordable stuff?

Important stuff to know before going?

My apologies for this lengthy, question-filled post. Please help me, as I'm quite nervous to be traveling free & easy on my 1st trip to Tokyo.

Thank you so much!

by obliquez (guest)  

some answers 2010/3/3 14:34
Which train pass would be the best value for my travel plans?

Since you'll be sticking around Tokyo for a good part of your trip, you really don't need any sort of pass. I would suggest just using a SUICA or PASMO rechargeable smart card, and pay as you go.

Should I go to Mt Fuji by Q-tours Romance Car option @ 9000yen or Japanican's tour which returns via Shinkansen @ 16000yen? Which would be a more memorable experience?

Seeing that you don't have a bullet train trip lined up in the rest of your itinerary, then perhaps you'll want to consider taking the Japanican tour so that you can taste a slice of one of Japan's most prominent icons - if only for a short duration. But if you need to stick to a budget, the Romance Car is not bad either.

Other places of interest for shopping and food or must-see cultural stuff in Tokyo

Two things I can suggest: An afternoon or evening trip to Odaiba, and a trip to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government buildings for a ride up to the observatory (it's free).

For shopping, Shinjuku and Ikebukuro each have a cluster of department stores that are well worth checking out.

My itinerary looks abit empty on day 3 and 5. Any suggestions?
I would look at this site for information about Kamakura or Yokohama. If you are able to make a half-day trip to at least one of these places it'll be well worth it. If you per chance have a full day free, head on up to Nikko.
by JRHorse rate this post as useful

day 3 and day 5 2010/3/3 14:53
You should spend one day in Kamakura and one in Nikko.
Concerning shopping, it depends very much on what you have on your list:
- Shinjuku: lots of department stores and electronics goods but not all that cheap
- Harajuku, Shibuya: trendy and fashion gear
- Ginza: more department stores
- Akihabara: electronics goods and in the back streets you can find real discounts but have to pay cash

Enjoy Tokyo
by iwander rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/3/3 22:42
Thanks for the replies :)

Btw, does anyone know how cold it will be in the daytime next week? I've checked online but different sites give different readings. 1 site said 7-8 degrees and another said 14-16 degrees..
by obliquez (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: 2010/3/4 01:18
obliquez,

One-week Forecasts: Tokyo
http://www.jma.go.jp/en/week/319.html
by xexstyle (guest) rate this post as useful

weather 2010/3/4 02:02
xexstyle: thanks so much!

Was wondering if the hair salons in Tokyo charge an arm and a leg? Hoping to cut+colour+perm (hair length=mid back). Would anyone be able to recommend a good/affordable salon?
Preferably Shinjuku area, but anywhere in Tokyo is fine. And also the price range.

I heard of Watanabe, but it's really pricey and cater more for western hair types I think.

I'm asian, so any place which the locals recommend would be appreciated!
by obliquez (guest) rate this post as useful

disney and disney sea 2010/3/12 07:18
As for disney tickets, I wouldnt bother getting them early, unless its a holidays. Ive been twice, once during the summer holidays and it was crazy busy. We went Arpil 9th last year though, and we bought our tickets at Disney in the morning and it was fairly quiet. The park was pretty quiet all day too, if that helps
by robblps rate this post as useful

reply to this thread