Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 day Kyoto/Nara itinerary 2010/3/8 17:19
Hi,
I'll be in Kyoto at the end of this month for 3 days and I've tried planning my itinerary so I can visit as many places as possible. Here's what it looks like:

Day 1
Morning - Fushimi Inari Shrine
Afternoon - to Nara, Kofukji Temple, Todaji Temple, Yoshikien garden, Nara park

Day 2
Kinkakuji, Ryoanji, Arashiyama

Day 3
Ginkakuji, Path of Philosophy, Nanzenji, Heien Shrine, Koyomizudera, Maruyama park

Now I've got these questions:
1. Is it efficient to go to these places in that order?

2. How should I go from one place to another on each of these days? What method of transport is recommended?

3. I would also love to visit Sanjusangendo, where should I fit it in?

4. What places in Arashiyama is interesting? I know the Bamboos...

Sorry for all these questions. I would really appreciate any response.

Thanks!

by Aaron (guest)  

... 2010/3/9 07:38
It looks good if you like a medium to fast pace of travel. Day 1 is busy. Note that most attractions in Nara close by around 5pm. Try to arrive in Nara relatively early to be able to cover all the places in your list.

1. Is it efficient to go to these places in that order?

Day 1 is good except Nara Park. You automatically see Nara Park while walking from Kofukuji to Todaiji. If you want to explore more of it, do it between Kofukuji and Todaiji, rather then after Yoshikien.

Day 2 is good.

Day 3 should be as follows:
Ginkakuji - Philosopher's Path - Nanzenji - Heian Shrine - Maruyama Park - Kiyomizudera

You can walk the entire distance if you like walking.

How should I go from one place to another on each of these days? What method of transport is recommended?

It depends on the location of your hotel. Between Fushimi Inari Shrine and Nara, I recommend to use the JR Nara Line. Nara itself can be covered entirely on foot, but the use of buses can reduce the walking:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4107.html

I would also love to visit Sanjusangendo, where should I fit it in?

After Kiyomizudera on day 3, if there is time left.

What places in Arashiyama is interesting? I know the Bamboos...

Here you go:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

thank you Uji 2010/3/9 09:23
I'll be staying in J Hoppers, which is abit to the south of Kyoto Station. What is the main transport in Kyoto? I heard buses are better than the trains in Kyoto. How should I go to Ginkakuji and Kinkakuji from where I stay?

Also, on day 3, the reason I go to Maruyama park last is because I plan to go to Maruyama park for night blossom viewing, and Kiyomizudera close around 5pm. How long is walk from Kiyomizudera to Maruyama park?

Thanks.
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/9 14:17
What is the main transport in Kyoto?

It is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

I personally dislike Kyoto buses because they are too small, run too infrequent and get stuck in traffic jams. Therefore, I recommend to use rail bound transportation wherever possible. But it is also possible to use buses exclusively, in which case the 500 yen 1-day pass is a good offer (but it does not cover outlying areas, such as Arashiyama).

How should I go to Ginkakuji and Kinkakuji from where I stay?

To Kinkakuji I recommend to take the subway to Kitaoji and then a bus or taxi to Kinkakuji from there. But you could also take a direct bus:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3908.html

Ginkakuji is not easily reached by rail bound transportation. Therefore, taking the direct bus is probably best:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3907.html

Also, on day 3, the reason I go to Maruyama park last is because I plan to go to Maruyama park for night blossom viewing, and Kiyomizudera close around 5pm. How long is walk from Kiyomizudera to Maruyama park?

About 20 minutes without stops along the way. Note that also Kiyomizudera might have illuminations in the evening.

Also, if you skip Maruyama Park earlier during the day, it is probably best to take a bus from Heian Shrine to Kiyomizudera. Or if you want to include Sanjusangendo to travel as follows:
Kyoto Station - (bus) - Ginkakuji - (walk) - Nanzenji - (walk) - Heian Shrine - (bus) - Sanjusangendo - (walk) - Kiyomizudera - (walk) - Maruyama Park

... 2010/3/9 14:18
Also avoid using buses for access to Arashiyama during the cherry blossom season, especially on weekends, or you could be stuck in traffic jams for a long time.

thanks 2010/3/9 16:54
How far is walking from Kitaoji to Kinkakuji? And from Ryoanji to Enmachi station because I want to take the JR Sagano line to Arashiyama. Or is it better to take the Keifuku Kitano line? Also, which place is better for night viewing of the blossoms? Maruyama park or Koyomizudera?

Thanks.
by Aaron (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/10 07:51
How far is walking from Kitaoji to Kinkakuji?

Slightly under three kilometers or about 45 minutes. Daitokuji is located along the way.

And from Ryoanji to Enmachi station because I want to take the JR Sagano line to Arashiyama. Or is it better to take the Keifuku Kitano line?

Yes, it is definitely better to take Keifuku. Keifuku Ryoanji Station is much closer to Ryoanji (about 5-10 minutes) than JR Enmachi Station (about 40-50 minutes). And Keifuku Arashiyama Station is more centrally located than JR Saga-Arasjhyama Station

Also, which place is better for night viewing of the blossoms? Maruyama park or Koyomizudera?

Maruyama Park.

reply to this thread