Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Review + Suggestions 2010/3/10 16:12
Hi, We will be visiting Japan next week for the 2nd time - yay! We visited Tokyo and Kyoto on our 1st trip and absolutely loved both cities!

Please review our schedule and offer your suggestions for cities to visit and how many nights to stay etc. We are a couple in our early 30's and hope to travel in a moderate and relaxing pace.. no hiking on this trip but open to anything else.

big thanks,
k

--------------------------------

Sat March 20 - Arrive in Tokyo
Sun Mar 21 - Tokyo
Mon Mar 22 - Arrive in Osaka
Tues Mar 23 - Osaka
Wed Mar 24 - Osaka - Day trip to Nara
Thurs Mar 25 - Arrive in Hiroshima (stay 1 or 2 nights in Hiroshima?)
Fri Mar 26 - suggestions?!
Sat Mar 27 - Arrive in Fukuoka, spend night in Fukuoka (was recommended to us - pls share your thoughts - worth a visit?)

Sun Mar 28 - Fukuoka, spend night in Fukuoka
Mon Mar 29 - Arrive in Nagoya, spend night in Nagoya
Mar 30 - Return to Tokyo - day trip to Yokohama
Mar 31 - Tokyo
April 1 -Tokyo - visit Mount Fuji
April 2 - Tokyo
April 3 - Leave Tokyo... Return Home.

by kelli (guest)  

Not so relaxing 2010/3/10 23:28
So much traveling...I thought you want to travel in relaxing pace. And Fukuoka is so far away for a only two day stay. Kyushu should be a trip for it self. There is plenty to see. But not in this way. If you are starting from Tokyo then i suggest not going any further than Osaka. You should just stick to central Honshu. After seeing Osaka, start going slowly back to Tokyo. Nagoya - Gifu Prefecture (Gifu - Gero - Takayama )back to Nagoya, then see Fuji, and after it returning back to Tokyo just in time for your flight.That's the way i would do it. :)
Have fun

A bit more info on Hida Takayama if you like:
http://hidatakayama.blogspot.com
by barcafana2 rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/11 07:50
I don't quite agree with barcafana on that the itinerary is too fast paced. It is true that you will spend some long hour on trains, but I think it is not overly packed and can still be relaxing.

I personally don't think that Fukuoka is a very interesting city compared with some other cities of Japan. But it does seem to have a good reputation for shopping. There are not many historical sights, though. The 1.5 to 2 days you have currently allocated seems long enough to me unless you really like a slow pace. And try to look up travel times (and time for orientation, hotel access, luggage handling and meals) so that you get an idea of how much time you actually end up having for sightseeing.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Instead ... 2010/3/11 11:24
Hi there Kelli!

Instead of going to Kyushu (as Uji said Fukuoka - what is there, the "Dome"??) why not go to Shikoku??? It is at least a couple of kilometers closer, you could visit Dogo Onsen, the oldest spa in Japan, Matsuyama Castle (one of the oldest in Japan), besides a couple of other things (just visit Matsuyama's website for more information, it is also in English). Also, just one day for Mt Fuji, I assume you don't want to hike all the way up there?!?!
by kulachan (guest) rate this post as useful

Revising our Itinerary.. 2010/3/11 12:18
Thanks for your replies so far..

hmm.. I didn't think our schedule was that tight as I thought 1-2 days in one city would be enough (not including Tokyo and Osaka). But we will remove Fukuoka from the itinerary as I trust your opinions! =)

So back to the drawing board..

We've already booked the hotel for the first 5 nights (in Tokyo and Osaka), but the rest is open for changes. How would you schedule these cities in our 2wks schedule? Hiroshima, Nara, Yokohama, Nagoya.. any others you would suggest or prefer over the other?

thanks again,
k
by kelli (guest) rate this post as useful

day trips 2010/3/11 16:29
"Hiroshima, Nara, Yokohama, Nagoya."

Nara is a great day trip, by local train, from Osaka and Nagoya., about 1 hr from Osaka by Shinkansen, is another nice day trip.
This allows you to stay in the same hotel longer rather than moving all the time. You can even go to Hiroshima and Miyajima island as a (long but not overly so) day trip from Osaka.

Yokohama is an easy day trip from Tokyo. Only 22-30 minutes from Shinagawa station on the JR Yamanote loop line.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread