Schools
-
Member Area

Home - Question Forum
Short foreskin, public onsen bath

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

Short foreskin, public onsen bath 2010/3/16 03:44
Hi,
I will be living in Japan aug-jan and I'm therefore trying to prepare myself mentally by trying to find answers to some of the questions I'm having!

Background regarding this question- My foreskin is naturally short (not circumcised) and is pulled back all the time.

One of the many (stupid) things I've been wondering about is if people will react to the sight of my penis while bathing in a public bath or similar and question whether I'm circumcised or not or ask me about it.

Now, as I've never been to Japan I can't tell whether or not this is true, but- I've read that Japanese people's penises (grammar?) should be similar to mine according to some websites.

This is an example of things I've read;

"Short foreskin worn retracted in Asia

One of the things that I found quite interesting is that in the traditionally non-circumcising SE Asian societies, like Japan and China, and possibly in the other neighboring countries, men are expected to keep the foreskin retracted after they reach puberty.

It is also well known that people from the Mongoloid race (i.e., Japanese, Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.) have a very short foreskin which hardly covers half of the glans of a flaccid penis. In fact, Chinese, Japanese, etc men have a fully exposed, and hence dry, clean and healthy glans, without being circumcised."

I'm hoping the question isn't seen as too inappropriate or something like that.

Anyway, if someone could comment on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus Landin

by MarcusL (guest)  

?? 2010/3/16 11:40
Most men will not be looking at your penis in the onsen, let alone commenting about your foreskin!!!!
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/3/16 11:56
Same as above, NO ONE will look at it, moreso comment about it.

by onsen (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/16 12:17
MarcusL,

A similar discussion once came up in a question thread on circumcision, and long story short, Japanese penis comes in all different shapes and sizes. Don't worry about it.

by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

onsen 2010/3/16 14:09
Confirming the above, this is not something you need to worry about. As you might expect, most men go out of their way not to look in that direction while in an onsen/public bath, and most guys hold a small towel in front of themselves when outside of the bath for modesty.

Even if someone did notice it, they are most certainly not going to comment on it, much less socially ostracise you for it! Don't give it another thought.

by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Worries 2010/3/16 14:49
Haven't you ever used a public shower in a gym, swimming pool etc. in your own country? I have done it many many times in Europe and North America. While no one can say for sure that not a single guy ever look at another guy, the last thing anyone would do is to make a comment.

What you really should worry about is the water temperature. I have tried many times to use the tub at my Japanese hosts house. They say that it is not hot by their standard but I can only dip a toe for a split second..

by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

May be! 2010/3/16 17:11
Well still, I don't know how open or relaxed Japanese are when it comes to talking to things like this- But in Sweden at least It's not too uncommon for close friends or similar to talk about stuff like this.

Still I'm guessing you are right..

But could anyone comment on the quote I wrote in my opening-post? Or the text found here http://www.circlist.com/rites/japan.html ?

Might be interesting to some at least.

Thanks for the replies so far though!

/Marcus Landin

by Marcus L (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/16 18:27
i'm asian

do i keep my foreskin retracted/have short foreskin? NO

do i care if people have short foreskin/circumsized? NO

c'mon man, you're a man, so be a man

p.s. interesting how quite a few girls know how guys behave in an onsen...

by . (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/16 23:02
Didn't notice that some women replied-

Men have and will probably always compare there penises, body shade, muscles with other men. It's only natural- and I don't see how you could deny that.

I'm guessing women too compare there breasts and body shape with other women.

I never meant to imply that I believe people go around staring at other peoples crotches. But it's pretty hard not to see if a man has a big/small dick for example or a women have big/small breast even when not staring directly.

So far I've received some informative replies though, thanks Monkey see for the tip ;).

''c'mon man, you're a man, so be a man''

I won't even bother answering that..

No one else who can comment on the information I've found on the internet? The last reply-
''I'm asian

do i keep my foreskin retracted/have short foreskin? NO''

-didn't really tell me anything.

/Marcus Landin

. 2010/3/17 02:13
Marcus L,

I hadn't thought this was your original question, but if you are curious about discussions, yes, all boys in puberty worry about their penis and try to discuss about it when they can, nowadays mostly on the internet (where we all can view, except that the posters are anonymous). So yes, people do discuss it. But I've always thought and still think that women get a better chance to see more penises in detail then men do.

Similarly, every girl in puberty worry about their figure and try to discuss about it when they can, but don't really get a good chance to see others' and neither do we want to. It's the men who get better chances to see various figures of women. Except that, unlike Sira, I've never peaked men hiding themselves with tiny towels! (just kidding, Sira.)

Well, you're probably young. We don't worry about those things once we get older. And again, all these teenage boys in Japan use public baths and quite a great number of them are reported to be preputial.

http://q.hatena.ne.jp/1155988124

by Uco (guest) rate this post as useful

Rephrasing my questions 2010/3/17 02:42
Let me rephrase my questions after receiving all there replies;

Do Japanese men, and women feel secure enough to talk about/discuss their body with their friends or close ones? In Sweden as I've said before, it's not uncommon to talk about those kind of stuff. You may find this weird but for someone to say openly "S!@#$ your penis is huge" or "What's wrong with your penis" to somebody else s face isn't rare between men at least (close friends, I've never seen this happen between two people who don't know each other).

The information I've found on the internet, regarding several things- one being that it's now "modern" to pull back your foreskin in Japan.- Is any of the this true?

Why you take for granted that I'm young is beyond me. I thought I could ask about stuff like this without people ignoring the question and saying "It's ok we understand you are shy" "Don't worry, it's all good."- Those answers doesn't answer my question at all. The only thing those answers tell me is that the person probably have felt or feels insecure in some way.

In case you are wondering, there's only one person named Marcus Landin that lives in Sweden. So I don't consider myself being anonymous ;) (even though you might not have meant me in particular)

After having rephrased my questions the Thread-title is a bit off, maybe some mod can change it?

/Marcus Landin

answers 2010/3/17 12:38
Marcus Landin,

Unfortunately there is no cultural consensus to your questions so they are difficult for anyone to answer definitively.

Do Japanese men, and women feel secure enough to talk about/discuss their body with their friends or close ones?

There is nothing cultural that implies that Japanese are more comfortable with these topics than other countries, but of course that is also relative to what country you are comparing to.

However, regarding the situations you describe, its my opinion that commenting on each other's private parts is rare at best, and completely unheard of amongst strangers.

The information I've found on the internet, regarding several things- one being that it's now "modern" to pull back your foreskin in Japan.- Is any of the this true?

Are you asking because you wonder if you will "fit in" with the locals (as pretty much everyone else has interpreted your question)? Or are you asking if this is a cultural practice that you should follow? Either way, it should be noted that proper bathing etiquette is to cover yourself with a modesty towel and not stare at other's privates, so in both cases it shouldn't be an issue.

But based purely on my non representative, non authoritative opinion, and having gone to dozens of onsen, I would guess that the info you found on the internet is not true.

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Similar topic, a few years back 2010/3/17 15:57
I just remembered that there was a similar question on this forum a few years back- someone had found a website with very detailed information on this topic and had taken it to be the truth regarding Japanese and other Asian men. I think the consensus then as well was that that site was full of... misinformation.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2010/3/17 16:57

Are you asking because you wonder if you will "fit in" with the locals (as pretty much everyone else has interpreted your question)? Or are you asking if this is a cultural practice that you should follow?

I'm asking to see if I would fit in. If a cultural practice such as this did existed and my foreskin would have been long I would do as they do, if choosing not to would offend them.

Thanks yllwsmrf and Sira for your replies.

Judging from what I've read here and on another website it seems like the information is more or less false. Most people I've seen commenting on the subject on the internet say similar things to; "You sure you've been to Japan?" "I've never seen this." etc. One person though did say that he noticed a lot of young people pulling back their foreskin and some being circumcised- But I now believe he was just trolling as most people say they've never seen anything like this.

Thanks again! Hoping this thread did shed some light on the subject ;)

/Marcus Landin

Naked off the Baltic sea 2010/3/17 18:38
It is nice that you don't want to offend another culture but there are things that can't be helped.
I went to Finland in my early 20s to study bridge building. Not in a school but with an actual bridge building company.
The very first day, right after lunch, the Finnish student who was sharing a room with me and was my guide-translator took me to the sauna by the sea used by all the staff of the construction company.
First you shower, then go to the sauna until sweat runs like heavy rain out of your body, then you jump in the cold sea (it was 20 metres deep right by the pier.) and repeat the process several times.
You are stark naked all the while.

Being from Southern Europe I have dark body hair, not a lot by my birthplace standards but way more than 99% of the guys there. I had no intention of shaving my whole body (how does one shave one's back anyway?) and no one asked me to or said anything.
Some may have made comments about me but everyone was very friendly, especially because I was able to stay as long as them in the very high heat.

Several of the students were kind enough to each invite me for a long weekend to their parents place. Each family had a sauna by the sea or a lake so I experienced lots of saunas with strangers--including, in some families, not just the men but also the mother, aunt, grandma etc.-- no one looked shocked by my hairiness..
It was as normal to them as my eyes colour ..something that is neither bad nor good.

Being naked twice a day (we also took saunas in the evening) with so many different people, it became obvious that there was a wide variety of shapes and sizes of every single part of the body... no big deal.

body hair 2010/3/17 19:40
Always fun to hear how people experience new cultures and their traditions :D
Reading about body hair your post made me think of another question I've been meaning to ask.
Once again(!) I've read on the internet that Japanese usually don't shave their private parts, or that it's not as common compared to what I'm used too. I've read some threads on this forum concerning women who travel to Japan and are worried how they will be met if they've chosen to shave or wax "down there".
I always shave and have no intention of not shaveing while in Japan- Still could be interesting to know what people generally think about men shaveing their private parts.

Any comment on this?

/Marcus Landin

Razor cut 2010/3/18 17:54
I guess what women think about that subject matters more than a guy's views... however.. speaking from experience..there are a few guys in each of the 3 gyms I work out each week that walk back and forth in the nude around the locker room so it is hard not to notice that they have totally shaved their body. .

Quite frankly it looks as if they haven't reached puberty yet...but have an old guy face.
It wouldn't be so bad if they were in their 20s with a slim boyish body but a 50-60ish husky guy??? .
One guy is very hairy all over, head to toes, back and front..EXCEPT in the pubic area. He might as well wear a huge sign on his head saying "look at me! Oh please look at me!".

Quite frankly, dying one's privates' hair in a tricolours scheme or weaving it in dreadlocks highlighted with a few beads would be MUCH more appealing than shaving it.

interesting.. 2010/3/18 18:06
Well I won't jump to any conclusions but it seems it's not very common then :D

Always fun to hear your stories ;) can't even imagine seeing that without laughing

/Marcus Landin

shaving 2010/3/18 18:25
Once again(!) I've read on the internet that Japanese usually don't shave their private parts, or that it's not as common compared to what I'm used too. I've read some threads on this forum concerning women who travel to Japan and are worried how they will be met if they've chosen to shave or wax "down there". I always shave and have no intention of not shaveing while in Japan- Still could be interesting to know what people generally think about men shaveing their private parts.

This time what you've read on the internet probably has more merit. If you mean grooming and shaping, then I can't really see how you would be able to tell without more than a casual glance, so again I don't think that it would be a concern. If you mean completely bald, however, then that could be harder to hide. Again though, I think if you practice polite bathing etiquette it would require more than a casual glance to notice.

by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

''polite bathing etiquette'' = ? 2010/3/18 18:37
Ok, but should I have a reason for hiding it? I mean while you are talking a bath or a shower do most people cover up using a towel? I usually just walk around as usual, but if that would offend anyone (as I shave) I'd cover myself too.
So is the ''polite bathing etiquette'' synonymous to cover yourself up using a towel?

As Monkey see said as I'm young there shouldn't be seen as weird shaving? Surely it can't be too uncommon for Japanese men to shave? Or is hair considered manly and natural?

Lots and lots of questions ^^

/Marcus Landin

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 42

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages
Message Boards
  Question Forum
  Travel Reports

Classified Ads
  Friends
  Language Schools
  Language Tutors
  Language Exchange
  Accommodation
  Travel Guide
  Other Services
  Moving Sales
  Events

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - Lɂ‚ - advertising