Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mt Koya questions 2010/4/10 17:36
I'd be most grateful for any help with this please?
1.Where could I find timetables/frequency for the cable car to AND from Mt Koya: specifically how it connects with the Nankai train.
2.Are the buses in Mt Koya frequent, and easy to work out?
3. The walk through the cemetery to Okunoin looks just beautiful: does this start at the main town centre? How much would we miss by taking the bus to the nearest stop to Okunoin?
Thank you.
by fmj  

Try these links 2010/4/12 10:36
We found cable car was waiting when train arrived at Mt Koya. I expect this would always be the case - but check out both links below for more info.

http://www.koyasan.or.jp/english/index.html

http://www.nankai.co.jp/global/english/index.html

Buses are easy to work out and seemed to be quite frequent. Times are listed on bus stop posts. Generally walking is best to see everything, but if you're pressed for time, use the buses. And definitely use bus to and from cable car stop and town.

The cemetery starts more towards the edge of town rather than town centre.It's quite a long walk through the cemetery - but I personally think that it's worth it - then just take the bus back to town. Unless of course you have trouble walking distances.
by traceyk rate this post as useful

Thanks tracey 2010/4/12 12:40
Thanks Tracey: I'd found these links, but good to see I was on the right track.
However, as we are unfortunately limited to a day trip, I was hoping to find the first and last bus/cable car/ train links: just so we don't miss the ast cable car down to the train!!!
Shall have to ask on arrival
Thanks again
by fmj rate this post as useful

OOPS 2010/4/12 12:45
Don't mind me: just realised Koyasan station IS the cable car timetable..sorry
Great: thanks heaps

Koyasan 2010/4/12 17:48
The place is not so big and you should be able to do everything on foot within one day. The bus takes you from the cable car to the entrance of the town.
An alternative is to catch the bus to the last stop (cemetary) and then walk all the way back
by iwander rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/4/12 18:21
Thanks Iwander: glad to know we can achieve the major places in a day, and absorb some of the atmosphere and history.

... 2010/4/12 18:27
Where could I find timetables/frequency for the cable car to AND from Mt Koya

As you seemed to figured out in the meantime, all the schedules for the Nankai train and the cablecar can be looked up here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

The cablecar operates between Gokurakubashi Station (lower station) and Koyasan Station (upper station). The Nankai trains terminate at Gokurakubashi Station.

The walk through the cemetery to Okunoin looks just beautiful: does this start at the main town centre?

No, not quite. I strongly recommend the traditional approach by starting at the Ichinohashi Bridge. The bridge can be reached either by getting of at the Ichinohashiguchi bus stop or by walking there from the town center in about 5-10 minutes.

From Ichinohashi Bridge, you can walk all the way to the Okunoin main buildings and then walk to the Okunoin-mae bus stop to get back to the town center or cable car station.

Last but not least, although you have probably thought about it already in detail and have a sound reason for it, but I just feel that I have to strongly suggest to stay overnight at a temple lodging. It adds a lot to the experience. Some of them are simple while others are quite comfortable like a mid level ryokan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

thanks Uji 2010/5/2 14:21
Thanks for the detailed reply Uji: sorry, I haven't checked this link for a while!
We ARE hoping to stay overnight, but are unsure at the moment, so are planning a day if necessary.
If we can have time to stay overnight then we will have no issues..but we need to prioritise family time in Osaka.
Thanks again for all your help: your input is all over our holidays!!

reply to this thread