Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hikonejo or Matsumotojo? 2010/4/27 11:42
I'm currently planning our 16 night trip to Japan for Nov this year, our itinerary is:
Tokyo (4 nights) - Takayama (2 nights) - Kanazawa (2 nights) - Kyoto (4 nights) - Hiroshima (1 night) - Miyajima (1 night) - Tokyo (2 nights).

As Himeji Castle is under renovation this year, I decided we'd stop at Hikone Castle between Kanazawa and Kyoto, and up to now I was happy with that being the only 'original' castle we'd see, but today I discovered Matsumoto Castle is doable if I get the train from Shinjuku to Matsumoto (2 hrs) then the highway bus from Matsumoto to Takayama (2.5hrs).

I was planning on taking the train from Tokyo to Takayama (5 hrs via Nagoya) and had heard that the scenery on that route (from Nagoya) is spectacular, and was hoping to get a glimpse of Mt Fuji on the way past as well. I'm guessing the bus ride thru the mountains has some pretty good scenery too, but will I be missing anything not taking the Tokyo-Nagoya-Takayama train ride? I guess I can try and see Mt Fuji on our train ride from Hiroshima to Tokyo later on.

Of the two castles Matsumotojo looks way more impressive and I'm just wondering if it really is worth the extra effort (i.e. timing of trains/buses, 2.5 hr bus ride, later arrival in Takayama etc) to see it? Or will seeing Hikonejo satisfy my boyfriends desire to see a historic 'original' castle? (He hates buses too which means Matsumotojo would really have to wow him!)

Thoughts?
by bfire  

... 2010/4/28 10:40
The scenery via Matsumoto is more spectacular than the scenery via Nagoya, but there no good views of Mount Fuji on the route via Matsumoto.

Of the two castles Matsumotojo looks way more impressive and I'm just wondering if it really is worth the extra effort (i.e. timing of trains/buses, 2.5 hr bus ride, later arrival in Takayama etc) to see it?

If you like castles, I think it is worth it. The castle buildings of Matsumoto are, indeed, much more impressive than the castle buildings of Hikone. On the other hand, I find the surroundings of Hikonejo more interesting than Matsumotojo's, i.e. the location on top of the hill with an interesting approach along moats and walls and a nice garden at the base.

But overall, Matsumoto is probably the better destination (user rating 90/100) than Hikone (user rating 83/100).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Castles 2010/4/28 12:56
Matsumoto tenshu is impressive itself, but there is not so much surrounding it except for the moat, the walls surrounding the main compound and a gate. It is a flatland castle, and the moats were previously more extensive.

Hikone has a much smaller tenshu, but the moats, walls, yagura and gates are much more impressive, given that it's a hilltop castle. It's also more of a complete package than Matsumoto.

Both of these are National Treasure castles, along with Himeji & Inuyama (which is just near Nagoya). There are 8 other original castles.

I've seen all four of these, plus another two originals, and about 8-10 reconstructions.
by Sandy (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/4/28 15:35
I have never been to Matsumoto Castle, but both are very famous!

Hikone Castle has a really nice museum accompanying it, but the castle itself is smaller than Matsumoto Castle. Hikone city is small, but there are some nice temples and shrines in the area. They aren't very touristy either.

I don't really think you can go wrong by visiting either of them. Just choose the one you want to visit more (or that works better in your itinerary) and don't think about the other one. If you worry about all of the sites you are NOT going to see, you won't be able to appreciate the sites that you ARE visiting!
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread