Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

osaka trip 2010/4/28 00:21
I be will in osaka for 8 good days with my wife and 2 kids ( 5yrs & 3 yrs).We would like to spend 2 days respectively in kyoto,nara and osaka.kindly advise me which are the MUST GO places.I would like to stay in a ryokan,any recommendation too.Many thanks.
by mivec (guest)  

Hmm... 2010/4/28 15:44
Have you looked at the sites listed here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html

For kids, I think the Kaiyukan Aquarium is worthwhile. At night, the family may enjoy looking at the city from the Umeda Sky Building.

The Science Museum is also good for kids, but it's really no different from one in the U.S.

I personally like Sumiyoshi Shrine, but I'm not sure if your kids will enjoy a lot of the cultural sites or not. Also, you'll probably see a lot of those in Nara and Kyoto.

Personally, for someone travelling with little kids in Kansai, I would consider taking them to the ninja museum in Iga Ueno:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4350.html

The shows they put on are entertaining and afterwards, for a small fee, children (or adults) can practice throwing some shuriken (throwing stars) at a bulls-eye. If they hit the center, they win a prize.

The rest of the museum shows you how the ninja's hidden compartments, trap doors, and moving walls worked. There is also a museum with some weapons and tools used by ninja. The Ninja museum is right below the castle, too, so you can visit the castle before leaving. It would make a nice day trip, if you wanted to slip it into your itinerary.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

What about Toei Eiga Mura? 2010/4/28 20:58
I like all the suggestions from Rabbityama, but I'd suggest to spend more time in Kyoto. Osaka is a very modern and westernized city, there isn't much to last you 6 days. If I have 8 days in Osaka, I will do the following

1 day in Himeji and Kobe, but seeing that you have kids, Himeji may not be a good idea, it may also be under constructions as some have suggested, you will have to check this

3 days in Kyoto, and also to visit the Toei Eiga Mura, this is almost like a must see for kids.

1 day in Nara

3 days in Osaka, this should be enough to cover the major attractions: Kaiyukan, Umeda and Hep Five area, dotombori....

by Glee (guest) rate this post as useful

Osaka 2010/4/29 06:04
Osaka does have older areas ,especially..if you includes the nearby suburbs..Like Kishiwada castle (you can see it on your way downtown to the airport) and the 5th century burial mound of Emperor Nintoku.. and lots more if one is inquisitive enough.. Osaka is much more than Kita, Minami..and Universal studios. ..

Unfortunately the OP kids are far too young for any meaningful visits..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread