Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Things to do on a rainy day 2010/5/4 20:37
Hi guys, does anyone have any suggestions on what to do for a rainy day? last time i went to japan i thought i made a great itinerary, but i forgot to remember that it can rain and most those things to do on my list aren't fun on a rainy day. so i didn't have a back up plan and was left shopping pretty much. any suggestions besides the obvious shopping would be great, anything indoor etc. anyhwere in japan too coz i'll have my JR pass and don't mind the long train rides. cheers!
by chods17 (guest)  

... 2010/5/6 10:52
It rained several of the days on our trip to Japan. We just went ahead with our plans and visited the sites. You can pick up an umbrella cheap at many of the convenience stores such as Lawsons, 7-11, etc.

We went to Nokogiriyama, Ghibli, and Narita while it was raining part of or all day. Photography looks a lot different but takes on a different demeanor. Don't just sit in your hotel room or go "shopping". Get out and do what you were going to do in the first place. But keep your schedule flexible, if at all possible.
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

rainy days 2010/5/6 13:27
Theme parks can be fun in the rain if you don't mind the moisture because the crowds are low.

If you like games, head to an entertainment centre. They often have places where you can do just about anything from archery, bowling to bull riding (mechanical).

Karaoke can be fun if you like to sing. (not my thing though). Obviously a lot more fun with a few people though.

Visiting castles and shrines on rainy days aren't so bad because most of the stuff is inside.

by Jonobugs rate this post as useful

onsen 2010/5/6 13:40
I like to sit in an outdoor onsen soaking warm under a half extended roof while rain or snow.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/6 15:03
Rain certainly doesn't have to deter you from having a great time.

In fact, some sites look and feel quite different on a rainy day.
Ginkakuji and Kiyomizu Temple are great on rainy days.
I personally enjoy open cafes on rainy days. Areas like Shibuya and Omotesando are great for cafes.
The only thing that not that great on a rainy day is a BBQ or the beach.
Other than that, I say enjoy yourself regardless of the weather.
by kyototrans rate this post as useful

museums/galleries/train trip 2010/5/6 16:58
If you HAVE to be indoors then there are some amazing museums..Tokyo Edo Museum is fabulous; Tokyo National Museum in Ueno Park is also excellent, but you might get wet getting there.
Try art galleries: look up guide books and see what may interest you: there are museums and galleries on all sort of things.
If you have a JR Pass then take a train trip: use Hyperdia to work out where you can go time-wise, and maybe go somewhere else where it may NOT be raining......
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread