Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling to Japan with a 2.5yr old girl 2010/5/5 18:03
Hi All,

Been reading a number of posts here on what to do or what to buy with a baby in Japan, but i was wondering if anyone can enlighten me on eating out with a baby in tow.

Basically, do we need to eat only at restaurants? Do the small family run eateries usually have baby chairs or at least have enough space for a pram/stroller to fit in? Is it at all advisable to bring the stroller? or should we just use the carrier the entire time?

Do let me know, thanks!
by JapanNewbie (guest)  

I took both to Japan 2010/5/6 10:12
Hi I have taken my toddler twice to japan now. I really think that strollers and carriers are both a good idea. Just remember that Japan is 'smaller then most places that foreigners are use to so big bulky prams/strollers are painful overthere. I recommend a lightweight stroller as not all train/subway stations dont have lifts. I rotated between the stroller and the baby carrier. I just found that we do so much walking that carrying your little one (especially if they are as chubby as mine) can be quite tiring.

Most eateries are 'small' but the staff are generally really nice and helpful and will try to their best to accomadate you and your family. Family restuarants usually have high-chairs etc to meet the needs of a family.
The Japanese people are very tolerant of little kids. Watchout for some well meaning grandma or grandpa that will come out of the blue and offer your little one some yummy lollie as present (they are being generous and welcoming but you might not like your little one eating sweets yet).

Enjoy your trip. My kids love Japan so much that they are constantly bugging me to book another trip there (which I caved to - another 2 week vacation in October). I hope your family enjoys Japan as much as my family does.
by Deaks rate this post as useful

reply to this thread