Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

seishun 18 kippu questions 2010/5/7 10:12
1. how do I book midnight nagara from tokyo to ogaki? I understand that there is a reservation fees of Y500 for moonlight nagara.

2. how do I buy this pass since Ifm not local and the ticket purchased season is much earlier than travel date

3. does this pass being sold individually? If we have 2 person planning to use 6 passes, can we buy 1 set of 5 passes and add 1 more pass?

4. Do I need to reserve the seat? If not, is it easy to get seats? 6. Has anyone done this before? Is it difficult for non-japanese speaking people during the train transfer and arrival? Of course, I will print out all the schedule and be on time for the transfer.
by wanderingbabe  

my advice 2010/5/7 12:44
1. The Nagara train is booked out so fast during the peak season and you have no way to book it from abroad. You(or your friend in Japan) have to go to the JR green counter in person.

2. Again you have to go to the ticket counter.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html

3. No.

4. Whether you need to reserve a seat depends on the train you take. You can ride most of local and Rapid trains and subway without seat reservation. On the other hand, reservation is mandatory on specific train including Nagara.
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/5/8 01:19
tks for ur feedback.

apart from the night train, is it easy to get seats?
plan to go from :
- tokyo to himeiji
- himeiji to hiroshim
- hiroshima to kyoto
- matsumoto to tokyo

tks!
by wanderingbabe rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/8 08:36
As mentioned by V, you do not need (in fact, cannot make) seat reservations for almost all local and rapid trains, including the ones along all the routes you have listed.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2010/5/9 04:57
tks for all your feedback.
if using 18 kippu, is moonlight nagara is the only option to travel at night? from tokyo towards kyoto/hiroshima?

another option is morning train, arriving in hiroshima on the same day, am i correct?
do i need to reserve seat for this one?

if i have extra 18 kippu tickets, can i sell it back to discount shop? where in tokyo and how much are they buying it?

... 2010/5/9 07:52
if using 18 kippu, is moonlight nagara is the only option to travel at night? from tokyo towards kyoto/hiroshima?

Yes, it is. The Seishun 18 Kippu is for several reason not the most practical ticket to travel around. Unless you really like riding local trains, I would recommend to consider overnight buses or the Japan Rail Pass instead.

another option is morning train, arriving in hiroshima on the same day, am i correct?

Yes, but that takes the entire day.

do i need to reserve seat for this one?

No. Seat reservations are not possible on almost all local and rapid trains, including all the local and rapid trains between Tokyo and Hiroshima expect the Moonlight Nagara.

if i have extra 18 kippu tickets, can i sell it back to discount shop?

I have heard it is possible, but I have no idea how much you would get. I am sure it would be considerably lower than the actual value. Discount ticket shops can be found around most major train stations, e.g. Tokyo Station and Shinjuku Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2010/5/11 06:01
tks so much uji

reply to this thread