Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

advice needed on Kyoto itinerary 2010/5/7 13:34
Hi, here is my planned itinerary for Kyoto. Please let me know if it is reasonable and/or what needs to be cut/kept.

Day 1 Leave Tokyo early(how early is enought time to see the planned sights in Kyoto?) and upon arrival in Kyoto just go straight from Kyoto station to Fushimi Inari, Tofujuji and end at Sanjusagendo..is the order reasonable if my hotel is located close to the Imperial Palace??

Day 2- start at Kinkakuji Temple- Ryoanji Temple-Ninnaji Temple..quick lunch break..head to Arashiyama(to see bamboo grove-Tenruiji Temple and maybe either just stroll around or see the Togetsukyo Bridge )

Day 3- tour Imperial Palace then head to Kiyomizudera Temple and do the path to Chion-in Temple. From there pass by Yasaka Shrine(time permitted) and end for dinner in Gion.

Day 4- Philosopher's path and head back to Tokyo.

I want to see Nijo castle but don't know which day to put it under..please help :o)
by liza (guest)  

great itinary 2010/5/7 15:09
perfect....you have an excellent plan. You will be doing a lot of walking, so do wear sensible shoes ^^

by nicky in tokyo rate this post as useful

a lot for a first time 2010/5/8 00:47
I would recommend to do a bit less to have time to enjoy. Temples are usually closing quite early and kyoto is a big city (for example from kyoto station to kinkakuji it is at least 30 minutes bus)
You can go for a bicycle option, it is quite convenient and would allow you to be faster than by foot.
When are you in Japan ? In summer it is very hot in Kyoto (30 to 35 Celsius) and in June it is the rainy season. Need also to adjust depending of the season.
Overall the program looks great.
by smackkiss rate this post as useful

Day 4 2010/5/8 03:04
If I have to choose between the Philosophers path or Nijo castle, I would go to Nijo Castle. Philosophers path is beautifull during the cherry-blossoms or red-leave season, during the rest of the year it's just a path along a canal with a few temples and some old buildings and houses with a lot of history. If you like sightseeing, Nijo castle is much more interesting and one of the few palaces were you can go inside...
by Bert (guest) rate this post as useful

Kyoto tours from Fodor Guide book 2010/5/8 04:12
A. Kyoto Stn-Tenruji Temple-Ryonji Temple-Daitouji Temple-Daisen-in temple-Myoshinji-Taizon Temple-Kyoto Stn. (9.30 am , 5hrs incl lunch)
B. Kyoto St.-Hakusasonso-Konchi-in Temple-Nanzenji Temple---Shore-in Temple-Daigo Sambo-in Temple-Kalyuji Temple (10 am ,6hrs incl lunch)
C. Kyoto Stn-Tenryuji Temple-Ryonji Temple-Zuihoin Temple-Kyoto St. (2pm, 3.5 hrs)
by Sandra (guest) rate this post as useful

re 2010/5/8 05:08
Thanks for the advice, my hotel is right next to Imperial Palace so I will do most of my travelling from there rather than Kyoto station. That's why I thought it would be easier to arrange my itinerary as listed..is Imperial palace reasonably close to Nijo castle?
by liza (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread