Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Best Koyo spots early November? 2010/5/7 14:39
Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Japan from 2-17 November. I have roughly worked out where I want to go, with the last 3 days in Kyoto.

oirase stream
matsushima
nikko
nishizawa valley
shosenkyo
shizuoka
fuji five lakes
kanazawa
miyajima
kyoto

Would I still be able to see autumn colors in Oirase on the 2-3 November? I heard it peaks at about 25 October on average. Are they any other places I should consider early November? I'll be travelling with a 14 day JR pass.

Is there anyway to forecast the koyo based on the sakura blooming periods this year? The sakura bloomed earlier than average near southern parts of Japan but later than average near northern parts of Japan.

Thanks.
by Aaron (guest)  

... 2010/5/7 19:14
Would I still be able to see autumn colors in Oirase on the 2-3 November?

It can still be nice. Or it could be too late. It depends on the year.

Is there anyway to forecast the koyo based on the sakura blooming periods this year?

They are not as common as sakura forecasts, but they do exist. In English I think there exists nothing besides the Koyo reports of japan-guide.com, which I recommend to follow to get the idea about the general trend of the season. Of course it is way too early to predict the season now. But around mid September, the season will start in Hokkaido and can give you some clues, although, you probably know that - like with the cherry blossom season - the season's pace can change while it is going ongoing.

But generally speaking, thanks to the fact that the koyo colors are a little bit longer lived than the cherry blossoms, it is a little bit easier to plan and predict.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread