Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Villa Fontaine Ueno hotel 2010/5/14 05:17
Hi everyone!
I need some advice on the Villa Faontaine Ueno hotel. I am planning to stay there for 7 nights with my husband while in Tokyo - has anyone been there, any opinions? Is it close to a JR station? And most importantly - does anyone know why they don't have an e-mail contact??
It makes me worry - is it a reliable hotel chain?

Thanks!
by Martha (guest)  

... 2010/5/15 11:15
Is it close to a JR station?

About 10 minutes on foot from Okachimachi Station:
http://www.hvf.jp/eng/ueno.php

And most importantly - does anyone know why they don't have an e-mail contact??

It is rather unusual for hotels in Japan to show e-mail addresses, especially not on English websites.
by Uji rate this post as useful

One more thing... 2010/5/15 18:14
Thank you Uji! :)
One more thing - is this a good area? I've heard that the Villa Fontaine hotels do not offer a very good breakfast, so I was wondering if there are any places you can get a cup of coffee and pastries around the Hotel?
As for the e-mail, how can I check that everything is in order with my booking before I go? I do have a booking number, but I would feel more secure if I could contact someone from the Hotel directly...
by Marta (guest) rate this post as useful

Hotel Villa Fontaine UENO 2010/5/15 19:24
Martha,
Why don't you phone the hotel?

Hotel Villa Fontaine UENO
2-4-4 Kojima Taito-ku
Tokyo, 111-0056
Tel: 03-5833-5550
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

it is a good hotel chain 2010/5/15 21:31
I have stayed at Villa Fontaine Jimbocho for 3 nights. Lovely place. Not sure about Ueno but I am going to be staying there at the end of the month based on my experience with V.Fontaine Jimbocho. As for the breakfast - it did not receive good reviews because it is very simple. Tea or coffee, bread/pastry with jams/butter and salad. However it is more than sufficient. Please do not expect anything big. It is a business/small hotel chain after all.
If I am not mistaken there is convenient stores nearby. And based from previous experience - wherever there is train station - there will always be cafe/convenient stores around.
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks everyone 2010/5/16 01:51
Thanks everyone - you've really helped!
I didn't phone them because I live in Europe and with the time difference that wasn't so convenient for me. But I've managed to contact them through the e-mail in the confirmation form (which you shouldn't reply to :)= ) and they've were very helpful.
As for the breakfast - I will be more than happy with toast, jam and coffee.. Since you've stayed at the Villa Fontaine, how big are te double rooms?
by Martha (guest) rate this post as useful

Ueno 2010/5/16 04:59
Ueno is a major neighbourhood. It has a park full of museums that are a MUST visit for school students from all over Japan and also has a couple of old temples. Lots of hotels in the area, a couple of department stores, a shopping pedestrian area under the elevated train tracks.. it is linked by subway to Asakusa and Ginza, amongst other places, and of course is on the Yamanote loop line.
Didn't you Google Ueno before actually booking an hotel there?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ueno,_Tokyo
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3019.html
http://www.infomapjapan.com/images/map/Ueno_map_web.pdf
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

VF Shiodome 2010/5/16 05:26
We stayed at Villa Fontaine Shiodome. Very nice hotel, big rooms, trendy interior and nice view to the river. Breakfast was not fancy.
Very good value for money. Sorry, cannot comment about Ueno.

by snowmobile rate this post as useful

Two Tiers of Villa Fontaines 2010/5/16 09:35
The hotel chain's own web site states that double rooms at Ueno are 16 square meters. The bed is 140 cm wide. This doesn't leave much floor space (I believe the room dimensions include the bathroom area). You should be prepared for a rather small room.

Villa Fontaine has two levels of properties, which it designates as "high grade" and "standard." The Shiodome property is in the high grade group and has bigger rooms, better food, and generally nicer appointments, along with higher prices. The Ueno property is a "standard" hotel. I haven't stayed there but I've stayed at a couple of different "standard" Villa Fontaines and at Shiodome. There is definitely a difference between the two levels.

You don't need to worry about your booking being honored as long as you received a confirmation from the hotel. Don't expect a four-star hotel, but it is a reliable chain and both the standard and the high-grade properties can be excellent value, if you get a discounted rate. I stayed at the Kayabacho Villa Fontaine one year ago and although the room was small and very basic, it was clean, quiet, conveniently located, and very cheap. The Shiodome Villa Fontaine is a lot nicer, but you pay for that.
by Uma (guest) rate this post as useful

Hotel reviews 2010/5/16 17:20
You can read some reviews of the hotel here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g1066461-d1028947-Reviews-Hote...

It seems to get quite good reviews, i think you'll be fine! :)
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi! 2010/5/16 18:28
Thank you everyone! :-)
It seems that the Hotel will be really O.K. - I've read all the reviews and explored the area before I've made the booking, but I couldn't see if there were any coffee shops or restaurants nearby (I'm on a special health-related diet, so it was important for me) on Google or other maps..
Thanks everyone for the advice! :D
by Martha (guest) rate this post as useful

Stayed in Ueno 2010/6/9 11:29
Hi there!! Just got back from my stay in Tokyo a week ago. There are a lot of restaurants within 15 min walking distances. A few coffee shops and even a local fast food chain that has veggie burger. A few sushi restaurant, udon, soba, yakiniku are nearby as well. For more choices - head to ameyoko/ueno station which is about 25min walking distance from the hotel. You could also choose to use the train which is quite near to the hotel. (JR and Metro slightly further)

At the reception area, the hotel has a local area map detailing the nearby restaurants and the closing day/hours. That was very helpful for us to plan for our dinner.

Nearby the hotel - about 5 min walk - there is a small supermarket so you could buy groceries from there.

As for the size - it is sufficient enough. The bathroom is large in comparison to other business class hotel that i have been to in Tokyo. They have one computer at the lobby/vending machine area for guest to use. It is free. However you might need to wait for it to become available.

Enjoy your Japan visit!!
by mk (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread