Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

7 Full days in Osaka/Kyoto 2010/5/25 02:01
Hi

I will be at Osaka for 7 full days and is now a bit lost on the itinerary.

I have look through the links in this site and so far concluded to spend 1 day in Kyoto visiting the shrines/temples. As for Osaka, we will probably spend another 1 day for shopping in Shinsaibashi/Namba/Umeda area

1. Can someone recommend us more places of interests? We are not so big on shrines/temples/castle, so would like to explore other places of interest even if it is further away.
2. Is there any city or suburb area in Osaka or Kyoto where we can experience local activities, preferably in terms of shopping and food?
3. Is there any theme parks around the area besides Universal Studio and Aquarium Kaiyukan as we been to both before. I will be bringing my 6 yrs old.
4. If 1 day visiting is sufficient for us in Kyoto, should we plan for one night stay, or stay put in Osaka?
5. Is there any onsen town which are near to Osaka or Kyoto? I don't think we will take a 2hr bus/train ride, but if there is one nearby, it will be nice to try out.

We will be staying in hotel near Namba station.

Thank you!
by Apple76  

... 2010/5/25 12:07
Can someone recommend us more places of interests? We are not so big on shrines/temples/castle, so would like to explore other places of interest even if it is further away.

If you have only one day each, I recommend to visit the highly rates sights introduced on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2157.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

Is there any city or suburb area in Osaka or Kyoto where we can experience local activities, preferably in terms of shopping and food?

Osaka Shopping Guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4013.html

Kyoto Shopping Guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3958.html

Is there any theme parks around the area besides Universal Studio and Aquarium Kaiyukan as we been to both before. I will be bringing my 6 yrs old.

Not quite on the same level as the USJ, but also enjoyable is the Eigamura in Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3934.html

If 1 day visiting is sufficient for us in Kyoto, should we plan for one night stay, or stay put in Osaka?

It is pure personal preference.

Is there any onsen town which are near to Osaka or Kyoto?

Arima is very near to Osaka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3558.html

Further away, but very nice is also Kinosaki:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3525.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/25 12:43
Thank you Uji!

I actually have more than 1 day each at both Osaka and Kyoto. Total can plan for 7 full days, but so far I can only come up with itinerary for 2 days. Your recommendations surely help and will appreciate if you have more to suggest.

Thank in advance!
by Apple76 rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/25 12:51
Hi Uji again

I will be going on 22 to 28 Aug, do you know if there is any major festival going on in Kyoto/Osaka during this period?

Thank you.

Fancy a culinary adventure? 2010/5/25 15:56
Seriously, hit up Okariba if you want a culinary adventure on the cheap. The proprietor is extremely welcoming and the menu...very adventurous. Just beware of all the extra sake coming your way. There's more traditional fare, but you might as well go for the gold like my wife and I did: http://www.bento.com/kansai/rev/7143.html
by vanadium (guest) rate this post as useful

Osaka 2010/5/25 16:01
"1 day for shopping in Shinsaibashi/Namba/Umeda area" One day only?? are you serious??
Umeda and Namba/ Shinsaibashi are about a 30 minutes walk from one another.
Each area has 3 huge department stores and underground malls with hundreds of stores...
Shinsaibashi (a pedestrian street with a roof over it) has lots of small stores too. Then there is the maze of streets around these areas with easily thousands of stores (some stores, cafes, restaurants are not at ground floor but on the upper floors of buildings.
Then there are huge electronic stores...Like Yodobashi cameras and Bic cameras (selling much more than cameras).

As for neighbouring towns the best known ones are Nara and Kobe bu tthere are many more (the Osaka area has 20 millions people)

In Kyoto you may well, kike many tourists , spend 1/2 day exploring the JR main railway station...a spectacular building with a huge glass roof tha tis way more than just a rail station..
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you! 2010/5/25 17:08
This time I will travel with my mom(60+YO) and son(6YO), so my itinerary NEEDS to be simple in terms of transportation as it will be a nightmare if we are lost somewhere! :p

22 Aug Arrived KIX at 7am, head to Namba station to leave our luggage in hotel(tentative choice is Swissotel Nankai for the location). Spend the entire day in the area

23 Aug Kyoto for Kiyomizudera and Fushimi Inari Shrine and then Nishiki Market. Spend rest of day around Kyoto station to shop and return after dinner

24 Aug Head to Arima onsen and stayed overnight in ryokan

25 Aug Head back to Namba, checked back in to same hotel and out to explore Osaka/ Tenjinbashi Suji for more shopping

26 Aug Going to the Aquarium Kaiyukan again since it was fun the last time and my mom didnt go before. Then go to Osaka Castle

27 and 28 Aug no plans yet!

Questions:
1. My itinerary seems to be terrible NOT packed, what else can I add in?
2. I know this is silly but we love the AEON mall in JP and always went to buy loads of instant noodles back home. Can someone tell me where is the nearest Aeon mall based on my above itinerary, or any other places I can go for such food items?
3. Base on above itinerary, is it ok to stay all 7 days in Namba or Osaka area?
4. Can you recommend hotels in either area which are very close to train stations and with coin laundry facilities?
5. Is there any huge toys stores in the area which I will be going?
6. Is it more convenient to transfer to Namba by train, or airport limousine bus? I will be hurling a huge luggage, so preferably a choice with less hassle

Thank you for all the advices!

. 2010/5/27 00:57
To bump up this post, would really appreciate if someone can advise on my points above. Thank you!

... 2010/5/27 08:51
My itinerary seems to be terrible NOT packed, what else can I add in?

I think it is pretty full already. But if you wish to visit more, I decide to add places that interest you and your family personally. Here are some suggestions:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html

I know this is silly but we love the AEON mall in JP and always went to buy loads of instant noodles back home. Can someone tell me where is the nearest Aeon mall based on my above itinerary, or any other places I can go for such food items?

Instant noodles can be purchased in every single supermarket and convenience store across Japan. There is a large Aeon in the Rinku shopping town just next to Kansai Airport:
http://rinkusennan-aeonmall.com/index.jsp

Base on above itinerary, is it ok to stay all 7 days in Namba or Osaka area?

Yes (with the obvious exception of your overnight stay in Arima).

Can you recommend hotels in either area which are very close to train stations and with coin laundry facilities?

The Swissotel is very convenient, but it is a luxury hotel that probably has no coin laundry facilities.

Is it more convenient to transfer to Namba by train, or airport limousine bus?

It depends on the exact location of your hotel. For the Swissotel, access by Nakai Railway is best.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto 2010/5/27 14:45
23 Aug EKyoto for Kiyomizudera and Fushimi Inari Shrine and then Nishiki Market. Spend rest of day around Kyoto station to shop and return after dinner

It would make more sense to go to the Market first thing, as they are more lively in the morning, then go to Kyomizudera and visit the area surrounding the temple.
Then go to JR Kyoto main station to take the train, on the Nara line, for the 15 minutes ride to Fushimi Inari.
You can stay there as long as you want. Try to walk at least as far as the fork in the trail AFTER you walk by a small pond on your right..

On the way back you will be right in the JR Kyoto station, where there are lots of restaurants on the upper floors and also in the underground shopping mall that is connected to the subway.
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/5/27 15:54
Thanks Uji! Almost forgotten about the Aeon near Kansai Airport! I shall get it there since plane will be flying late.

Thanks Monkey See. Will take your advice. I thought to market first in case we buying stuff and donft have to carry it through the day. But if it is worthwhile to go early, we shall go first.

Is there any suburb station in Osaka and Kyoto that are interesting and filled with localized shopping and food? I asked this question before but I am not looking for big/expensive malls, more like shopping streets that local will go to for their groceries, clothing, food, daily stuff etc. Not looking at touristy place. One very nice example which I went to is at Kichoji, TYO and initially planned for an hour lunch but it lasted half a day! Is there similar place in OSA/KYO?

Shopping 2010/5/27 16:50
Nishiki Market in Kyoto is cool. More info here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3931.html
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Final Itinerary 2010/6/14 02:00
Dear all

This is my finalized itinerary. Can you pls look through if it is ok, and also advise whether should I get any day pass like JR West Rail pass?

22 Aug Arrived KIX at 7am, take Airport Limousine bus to Umeda for hotel check in. Roam around Umeda for rest of day.

23 Aug(transportation for this day is cleared) Kyoto Fushimi Inari, Kiyomizudera, Nishiki Market, Arashiyama(Hozu River Boat, Tenryuji Temple and Bamboo Groves)

24 Aug Aquarium Kaiyukan, Osaka Castle and Ikeda City for Gangarabi

25 Aug Bus to Arima onsen in the morning. Once arrive, take Rokko Arima Ropeway to Mount Rokko(with round trip pass Ura Rokko Shuyu Joshaken- I hope this is the right pass we should be getting, for round trip and unlimited bus ride on Mt Rokko), tour the area including Mt Rokko Ranch and stayed till evening for the night view.

26 Aug Explore the Arima Onsen town and head back to Osaka. Check back in to same hotel. Nothing much for rest of half day except to roam Umeda again.

27 Aug Namba to cover Kuromon, Dontonbori, Shinsaibashi, Ebisu, Matsuyamachi

28 Aug More shopping around nearby area and off to the airport

Appreciate also if anyone can recommend good food near the areas we will be going, thank you!

.. 2010/6/14 08:03
Looks OK but make sure Dotonbori is at night: spectacular neon light street scape.
Can recommend Akamatsu: little restaurant behind Hotel Nikko at Shinsaibashi: chef speaks English: has foreign currency notes pinned to a notice board.
Sit at the counter and ask him to just make the seasonal best for you.
by fmj rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/15 11:56
Hi fmj

Thank you! We don't eat seafood so seasonal food probably not trying(assuming seasonal = seafood?). But thank you, for your always helpful advices.

seasonal foods 2010/6/15 14:41
Seasonal food doesn't necessarily mean seafood. Japan is really big into its seasonal fruit and vegetables as well. You're likely to find seasonal additions to the menu at pretty much every restaurant. Summer examples include cucumbers, tomatoes, young ginger, white peaches and the famous 250000 yen watermelons.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Theme Park 2010/6/15 16:20
Another Theme Park nearby is Hirakata Park.

It is smaller and cheaper than USJ, but I think it is GREAT for a 6 year old, because it's really a theme park for children.

It has rides, as well as interesting "adventures" that are well worth doing. There are also daily shows.

If you go to Hirakata Park, it is on the Keihan Train line outside Hirakata Kouen Station. There is a smaller fee (around 1300 yen, I think) that gets you into the park but does not cover the rides, so make sure to pay the 3000-3900 yen entrance fee (depends on season) for the "Freepass" to ride as much as you want.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/15 17:46
Hi Rabbityama

I canft read Japanese and not able to find out details on Hirakata from their website. My son doesnft really likes scary/fast rides, so you think it is still suitable for him? How is it like, comparing to Disneyland?

I am actually considering Kidzania, but the activities are all in Japanese, so I am a bit skeptical whether it is suitable for him, as in if he will understand the instructions to carry out the activities.

Pls advise, thank you!

love the city 2010/6/15 20:55
we spent 3 full days in Kyoto, and we did following:

day 1.Philosopher's walk with temples, shrines and gardens around it. Half day. It was our 3th visit to this area, we love it!

day 2: Maiko dance Odori in Gion, and after we spent nice day in Saga-Arachiyama, really beautiful place near Kyoto.

day 3: more temples and gardens in Kyoto (don't miss also Emperior palace and Nijo castle!).

All evenings we walked in Gion, on it's mysterious streets and we really saw real geishas and maikos!
by back from Kyoto (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/17 06:43
Hirakata Park does not really have any rides that I would consider to be scary. The park is designed for young kids, so most of them are smaller rides.

The "adventures" in the park are also quite fun.

For example, in one adventure, they give you each a crystal ball of a specific color. You then have to find your color spaces and put the crystal ball under each of them. You're supposed to try to do it as quickly as possible, but it doesn't really matter.

In another, you are in a ride with a lazer gun and you compete against each other shooting targets.

These are indoors, so it is dark. If those kind of activities scare him, then it may not be a good idea. Personally, I thought the adventures were really cute and more fun than the rides. It depends on how easily your child gets scared. I know some kids really hate that kind of ride/activity at amusement parks. I didn't do all of the adventures, so there are many more that I don't even know what you do inside. If he LIKES this sort of thing, there are enough of them around the park that you wouldn't even have to ride the rides to enjoy it!

There is also a nice rose garden inside the park.

by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 30

1 2
next

reply to this thread