-
Member Area

Japan Airlines  SAKITOKU

Home - Question Forum
Mixed Onsen

ask a new question  -  post a reaction

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question,
please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

Mixed Onsen 2004/7/27 09:10
I was just wondering, if there are any mixed (common for both men and women) onsen? Just curious to know. Nothing more than that.
by novice  

yes 2004/7/27 10:59
Yes, there are.
by Uji rate this post as useful

amazing 2004/7/27 11:12
That is simply amazing!! In mixed onsen nobody wears anything? Dont the bath takers not feel a bit of embrassed of being naked in front of persons of opposite sex? Where in Japan do we find mixed onsen? Are these onsens from the old times or just a new phenomenon in japan?
by novice rate this post as useful

... 2004/7/27 11:42
Dont the bath takers not feel a bit of embrassed of being naked in front of persons of opposite sex?

Yes, many people, especially women and younger people feel embrassed and will avoid mixed baths.

I have been to many mixed baths, but I have barely ever encountered a woman in a mixed bath.

Where in Japan do we find mixed onsen?

In any region of Japan.

Are these onsens from the old times or just a new phenomenon in japan?

They are no new phenomenon. To the opposite, I believe thet Japanese have steadily become more uptight since the beginning of the Meiji Period (19th century) with regard to nudity.

You usually find mixed baths in the more remote hot springs. Also, if a hot spring has one particularly beautiful pool, they may decide to make it mixed, so that both instead of just one gender can use it.

by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2004/7/27 13:03
Uji san, Aregatogozaimasu for the detailed information!

Family bath 2004/7/27 15:49
At some onsen you have something called a 'kazokuburo', a family bath that you can reserve so it is in fact a private bath. Many couples and families use it to bath together without the embarrassment of being nude in front of strangers.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

outdoor baths 2004/7/27 15:57
I have been to one hotel in the kinugawa area that has a mixed bath. It was a really beautiful outdoor bath and they allow women to wear swim suits. Other mixed onsens provide women with like a tube towel to wrap themselves up.

In rural areas however, mixed onsens are more common and no swim suits are allowed. And the little onsen towels at the hotel don't cover up much.

by Lynn rate this post as useful

question 2004/7/27 16:00
what's the difference of cost between a normal bath and a soap house?

thanks! ^_^

by Lotec rate this post as useful

Own family 2004/7/27 16:09
Kappa san, is it ok for Japanese people to be nude in front of their own family? Is it common to be nude in one's own house infront of say mother/father/brother/sister on any normal day?

Re: Own family 2004/7/27 16:15
It is perfectly normal in Japan to bath together.

A long time ago, when the Ghibli movie Totoro was first released, there was a small commotion on the Internet about the scene where the father takes a bath with his two daughters. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

by Kappa rate this post as useful

To Lotec 2004/7/27 16:16
Normal bath (onsen) is very different from Soap house. Soap house is a kind of sex service, where some girl will give you a bath (and some service). And soap houses might be expensive while onsen might cost you 500 yens (or more). The two are not associated in any way. In onsen you have to take bath yourself. Onsens have got respect in Japanese traditions. Am i correct?

bathe with daughters! 2004/7/27 16:23
Kappa san, Do you mean father can take bath with grown up daughetrs (who not the kids). That is very strange to me. I cannot believe it.

Was something about mixed onsen... 2004/7/27 16:31
To Lotec:

When you say "soap house", do you mean "soaplands", which are sex establishments?
A bath house (sento) will cost a few hundred yen, while a soapland will probably set you back 10,000 yen or more. From what I hear, not many soaplands allow foreigners anyway. At bath houses, you have to wash yourself, although if you ask nicely, you might be able to get some old guy to scrub your back for you. ;-)

To novice:

I'm not exactly sure what you are getting at, but in my limited experience, it is not usual (I won't say "normal") for adults to wander around their homes naked in front of other family members. I don't think modern attitudes to nudity in Japan are much different from in Europe or America, say, and I don't think this is specific to Japanese culture. Can I ask where you are from, as you seemed very surprised by the concept of mixed bathing?

by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Bathing with children 2004/7/27 16:35
To novice,

From what I hear, it is pretty common for fathers to bathe with their children (male or female) up until around puberty. I think bathing together like this was also traditionally a way of saving water.

^_^ 2004/7/27 16:36
Thanks for the kind answers to Dave in Saitama and to Novice.

Once arrived in Tokyo (i'll go there the next Spring) I'll try every soap house since I'll find the right one for foreigners! ^_^'

by Lotec rate this post as useful

To Dave 2004/7/27 16:50
Dave, I am from India. And in Indian culture generally adult people wont get naked before others (except for may be husband-wife relationship), not even in front of persons of the same sex (like in onsen). It is kind of Taboo. Only the small kids have the liberty to go naked!!

bathe 2004/7/27 16:59
And never do father/mother get naked in front of their kid, even if the kid is just one year old. Though when one is a child (say till the puberty), sometimes he/she would take bath with his/her father/mother, who is not naked. Actually i saw the adults naked only here in Japan!

Mixed bathing 2004/7/27 17:02
Novice,

Thanks for replying. In that case, mixed bathing could come as quite a shock, although as you have probably now discovered, mixed onsen are not that common nowadays.

Onsen wearing swimming costumes 2004/7/27 17:11
One more thing for Novice...
If you are interested in going to an onsen but feel uncomfortable about being naked in front of strangers, there are some places where you can wear swimming costumes (men and women together). I think there is a new place in Odaiba, in Tokyo. The Yunessan resort in Hakone is a place I have been to a couple of times and can recommend. Also, some onsen hotels have private onsen that can be reserved for private use (e.g. couples or families).

Thanks 2004/7/27 17:38
Dave, thanks for the information. Anyway, now i am adapted to take bath with other naked men. So no problem regarding that! And I am not much interested in taking bath with women, as i wont be able to enjoy taking bath (i will be too conscious). I was just curious !! Thanks anyway.

Page 1 of 2: Posts 1 - 20 of 29

1 2
next

reply to this thread

Advertisement

Online Reservations
Hotel

Car

Flight

Bus

(check-in)

Related Pages
Message Boards
  Question Forum
  Travel Reports

Classified Ads
  Friends
  Language Schools
  Language Tutors
  Language Exchange
  Accommodation
  Travel Guide
  Other Services
  Moving Sales
  Events

Travel
Living
Japan A-Z
Community
Sightseeing
Accommodation
Transportation
Shopping
Essentials
Regions
Prefectures
Cities
Working
Studying
Living Cost
Apartments
Arts and Crafts
Entertainment
History
Religion
Etiquette
Food
Language
Tradition
Question Forum
Classifieds
Trip Reports
Member Area
Sightseeing Guide
Hokkaido
Sapporo
Otaru
Hakodate
Noboribetsu
Niseko
Furano
Daisetsuzan
Shiretoko
more...
Tohoku
Sendai
Matsushima
Hiraizumi
Hachimantai
Hirosaki
Lake Towada
Dewa Sanzan
Aizu
more...
Kanto
Tokyo
Yokohama
Kamakura
Hakone
Nikko
Kawagoe
Kusatsu
Narita
more...
Chubu
Nagoya
Mount Fuji
Izu Peninsula
Matsumoto
Kiso Valley
Takayama
Shirakawa-go
Kanazawa
more...
Kansai
Kyoto
Osaka
Nara
Kobe
Himeji
Mount Koya
Kumano
Ise Shima
more...
Chugoku
Hiroshima
Miyajima
Okayama
Kurashiki
Tottori
Matsue
Iwakuni
Hagi
more...
Shikoku
Takamatsu
Kotohira
Naoshima
Matsuyama
Kochi
Tokushima
Naruto
Iya Valley
more...
Kyushu
Fukuoka
Nagasaki
Kumamoto
Mount Aso
Beppu
Kagoshima
Kirishima
Yakushima
more...
Okinawa
Honto
Kume
Miyako
Yaeyama
Copyright © 1996-2014 japan-guide.com All rights reserved
home - site map - privacy policy - terms of use - contact - employment - Lɂ‚ - advertising