Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

9 Days Hokkaido 2010/6/9 16:20
Hi I need advise regarding my trip to Hokkaido from July 11-July19.

Day1 Haneda - Hakodate
Places to go: Red Bricks, Mt Hakodate

Day 2 Hakodate - Noboribetsu
Places to go: Asachi mket, full day at Daichi Takimotokan

Day 3 Noboribetsu - Sapporo
Places to go: PIXE, Hell Valley, Susukino -Ramen Yokocho

Day 4 Sapporo - Furano -Biel-Furano
Places to go: Farm Tomita, ...

Day 5 Furano
Take Twinle bus : JUN AND YUI'S RECYLED HOUSE;GORO STONE HOUSE;ANPAN MAN SHOP/FURANO JAM FACTORY;FURANO CHEESE FACTORY;SHUN-FURANO PRINCE HOTELbs]

Day 6 Furano- Asahikawa
Places to go: Asahikawa zoo, Otokoyama muesuem sake brewing,

Day 7 Asakikawa - Sapporo
Places to go: Ishiya chocolate fty; Sapporo Beer Museum

Day 8 Sapporo -Otaru-Saporo
Places to go : Nijo Mkt; Otaru Canal Kitachi glass fty; Music Box Hall

Day 9 Sapporo - Haneda
Plane leaves Chitose Airport at 1330

We are a group of 6 person ( 3 couples ) who cannot speak or read Japanese.

Question:
1) We cannot decide between driving or taking JR trains +public transport.

There are only 2 people who can drive in the group and we are not sure if we have GPS system in Eng in the rented car. Another problem will be about returning the car at different places, car parking, etc

Is it difficult to travel using the JR with luggages? Based on itinery, which will cost more? Rented car + petrol + carpark + other possible surcharges vs taking the JR? If I take train, I will use 3 days JR Hokkaido rail pass for Hakodate-Noboribetsu-Sapporo(15000yen), Furano-Biei round trip ( 5400Yen + 1000 Yen Twinkle bus) and Otaru welcome pass (1500Yen).

On the day 4 at Furano, what other activities can we do besides Farm Tomita? And what to do at Biei? Currently, I have problem getting accomodation for day4 and 5 at Furano. Everywhere seems to be fully booked. Can anyone here help?

Also please advise what to do at Asakikawa. Is the zoo worth going?

Thank you so much for helping.
by jeanninefoo78  

... 2010/6/10 07:18
How about leaving Hokkaido through Asahikawa Airport? It cuts travel time:

Hakodate Airport - Hakodate - Noboribetsu - Sapporo/Otaru - Furano - Biei - Asahikawa - Asahikawa Airport

1) We cannot decide between driving or taking JR trains +public transport.

The only area where a car would be an advantage is Furano/Biei. All the other places are easily explorable without a car.

On the day 4 at Furano, what other activities can we do besides Farm Tomita? And what to do at Biei?

Biei is all about the landscape surrounding the town. It is pleasant just to drive or cycle around the area and visit some flower farms:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6828.html

Furano also has quite a few flower fields and a lot of minor attractions and shops:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6825.html

Currently, I have problem getting accomodation for day4 and 5 at Furano. Everywhere seems to be fully booked. Can anyone here help?

Pensions are an attractive type of accommodation in Furano:
http://www.furano-kankou.com/english/hyperlinks/accommodation-pensions...

Also please advise what to do at Asakikawa. Is the zoo worth going?

Yes, it is a very unique zoo. Try to avoid the weekends, as it can be very crowded.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Change in Itinery 2010/6/15 00:47
Hi Uji

Thanks for your reply.

There is major changes to my itinery because I will be arriving Hakodate instead of Sapporo. After which we will also have another 4-5 days in Tokyo and Kyoto and/or Osaka. I have not gone into detail the itinery for Tokyo/Kyoto and Osaka. If you have any suggestions or model courses, it will be good.

Day1 11/7Hakodate
Day2 12/7Hakodate-Noboribetsu
Day3 13/7Noboribetsu-Sapporo
Day4 14/7Sapporo-Otaru-Sapporo
Day5 15/7Sapporo-Furano/Biel-Furano
Day6 16/7Furano
Day7 18/7Furano-Asahikawa,
Day8 19/7Asahikawa-Sapporo
Day9 20/7Sapporo-Kyoto or Osaka

Accomodation and transport forI have mananged to get accomodation in Furano on 15th and 16th departing 17th.

I was thinking of taking the Furano/Biel round trip ticket (5400Yen)

Day 1(15th)
So we take the Ltd Exp Furano Lavender Express into Furano.

Check in

Take the Norroko-go train to Biei
Tour Biei

Return to Furano

Day 2(16th)
Tour Furano itself.

Since you say its advantages to drive in Furano and Biel, do you think after we take the Norroko-go train to Biei, we should get a rented car in Biei and drive back to Furano so we can use the car to tour Furano the first half of 16th and return the car in Furano itself?

Or do you think the Furano/Biei round trip at 5400yen + Hokkaido 3 days JR is not worth it and we should just travel using JR 14 days for the whole trip?

Planning the trip can be so complex since we need to take into consideration cost and feasibility of transport, accomodation, etc.
You have been so helpful. Thank you!!!
by jeanninefoo78 rate this post as useful

Leaving from Asahikawa 2010/6/15 00:54
Hi Uji

I will like to leave Asahikawa for Kyoto/Tokyo/Osaka ( have not decided 2nd part of the trip yet) but as I mentioned earlier, no accomodation in Asahikawa. Do you have any recommendation?

Thanks a million.
by jeanninefoo78 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread