Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

itinary choice 2010/6/16 15:18
Hello

I have 4 days in my trip ( 21 days)

and I do nt know what is the best

1 - matsumoto kamikochi takayama shirakawago kanazawa

2 hiroshima tsuwano hagi izumo matsue kurashiki

who Can help me to decide between the two choice thanks
by bernie123 (guest)  

... 2010/6/16 15:26
Four days are not enough for either choice 1 or 2. You need at least 5 days.

Apart from that, it depends on the season. Kamikochi, in particular, is not accessible during winter.

Apart from that, both areas are very nice. I think it comes down to personal preference. I personally think that choice 1 is somewhat more interesting.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/16 16:01
You COULD do number 2 in 4 days, if you do Izumo and Matsue in one day, which would mean seeing Izumo Shrine and then go to Matsue to see whatever you can for the rest of the day (probably the castle and some of the museums around it).

Also, you will have to begin each day as early as possible, because the distances are all rather far. Hiroshima to Hagi will take the most time. It would be a fast-paced trip, but it's doable.

It would probably be best to do it:
Kurashiki - Hiroshima - Hagi - Tsuwano - Izumo/Matsue

If you have other interests in the area though, it might not be a bad idea to reconfigure this a little if you want a slower pace.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Oops 2010/6/16 16:03
Sorry, no you can't do number 2 in 4 days. I miss-counted. You'd have to cut something. My itinerary is five-days long above!

reponse at rabbityama 2010/6/16 17:23
yes when I say four days
exactly four days is for
hagi tsuwano matsue and izumo

because in my trip I stop at hiroshima and kurashiki ( four days for miyajima onomichi and kurashiki)
hagi .....izumo is four days more

and four days is for kamikochi takayama
shirakawago and kanazawa
( i stop at matsumoto)

I when know what is the more beautiful
( i know takayama good , i know kanazawa a little)
if i cannot return in Japan what is the best
betwwen the two choices

thanks for your answer
by CUI.123 (guest) rate this post as useful

Oh... 2010/6/17 06:28
I see. So Hiroshima, Kurashiki, and Matsumoto are already part of your itinerary? They are NOT included in the 4 extra days, right?

Well then, these could be doable!

It will depend on your interests. This site lists some of the best atttractions in these cities (except Tsuwano), so find what interests you.

If you spend more time around Matsumoto, the sites you list offer:
Kamikochi: Mostly nature
Takayama: Folk village, old architecture
Shirakawa-go: Folk village, old architecture
Kanazawa: Garden, some temples, reconstructed castle

If you spend more time around Hiroshima, the cities offer:
Hagi: Castle ruins, temples
Tsuwano: Hokusai museum, castle ruins, martyr memorial
Izumo: Izumo Shrine
Matsue: Original castle, museums

If you do the second option, unless you want to see more in Izumo, I think you could easily combine Matsue and Izumo to give yourself an extra day elsewhere.

I have been to Izumo and Matsue, and I personally really like this area, but each of these choices offers very different types of attractions.

If you enjoy castles and shrines (and want to see more), then Matsue/Izumo will be better. Matsue Castle is an original castle, and one of the best, in my opinion. Izumo Shrine is one of the holiest Shinto shrines in the country. (If you really like castles, you may consider going to Takahashi to see Bitchu Matsuyama Castle, another original castle in the area.)

If you are more interested in the folk villages or want to see a great Japanese garden, then your first choice will be better. Kenrokuen in Kanazawa is said to be one of Japan's top 3 gardens, and the villages of Shirakawa-go and Takayama are some of the largest and best preserved historical villages in Japan.

Which appeals more to you? That will be the best choice!

Can I ask Rabbityama something? 2010/6/17 07:35
Sorry to hijack, but Rabbityama might be able to answer something that I am trying to sort, relevant to the thread. I'm looking at 2 weeks over christmas from 18/12, mainly Kanazawa/Takayama, with the new year in Kyoto. We've been over 3 times and spent maybe 3 weeks in Kyoto previously, just pottering around. I'm inlined to spend at least 4 days in Kanazawa this time, 3 days in Takayama, and am thinking of as few days somewhere handy to there, maybe on the same train route (Thunderbird?), but hopefully with some snow. Any suggestions? Thinking about Fukui at the moment.
by Pious rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/17 17:04
If you want snow in order to ski in Fukui, the ski resorts all seem to open around the time you will be in Japan.
Here is the Fukui Prefecture website, to give you some ideas on places to visit:
http://www.fuku-e.com/lang/english/places/ski.html

This website suggests Eiheiji Temple in Fukui:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6601.html

Posting a new question may attract users with more ideas and knowledge of Fukui.

by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

thanks! 2010/6/17 17:23
thanks! Looks good, I'll keep digging.
by Pious rate this post as useful

reply to this thread