Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Palaces/Imperial Villas 2010/6/18 12:12
I will be heading Kyoto in end Nov/Dec.
It will be my 2nd time to kyoto, 1st time for my travel companion. Planning to visit the kyoto imperial palaces/villas this time.

Understand that there's Imperial Palace, Sento Palace, Shukakuin imperial Villa and Katsura Imperial Villa..

which would be best to visit during the autumn colours period / worth the vist ?

Reservaions for the free tours are made possible (advanced/same day visit) at the Kyoto Imperial Park main office only?

Thanks!
by jp tourist (guest)  

Imperial Household Agency 2010/6/18 13:18
" Reservations for the free tours are made possible (advanced/same day visit) at the Kyoto Imperial Park main office only?"

Hi JP,

Whichever one you plan to visit,if I were you ,I would make reservation prior . So you won't be disappointed.
And do not be surprised if they are fully booked months in advance.

http://sankan.kunaicho.go.jp/order/index_EN.html
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/18 13:50
Understand that there's Imperial Palace, Sento Palace, Shukakuin imperial Villa and Katsura Imperial Villa..

which would be best to visit during the autumn colours period / worth the vist ?

Shukakuin imperial Villa is the best of them for autumn colors. Spectacular!

Reservaions for the free tours are made possible (advanced/same day visit) at the Kyoto Imperial Park main office only?

No, you can also reserve online through the link provided by liem. Note that even if the online spots are booked out, it is usually possible to make reservations in person at the office in Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Open days 2010/6/18 14:25
Sometime there are open days at the Kyoto Imperial Palace. So far, I have been lucky twice. For the Sento Palace, it is possible to get invitations on the same day (but try to get to the office early)
In autumn, colours are just spectacular!
by iwander rate this post as useful

imperial household agency 2010/6/18 14:36
The Imperial Household Agency seems to hold back a few spots on each tour for people reserving in person, so it may be worth stopping by the agency's office even if the tours show as fully booked online. I have been able to get reservations that way before.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/18 16:41
I think Shugakuin would be pretty in the autumn. It's up in northeastern Kyoto along the same train line that goes to Kurama (which is an excellent place for viewing the foliage!)

Autumn is a very popular time to visit Kyoto and a very popular time to make reservations to tour the imperial villas. Reservations start 3 months in advance on the first of the month, and you NEED to send in your reservation on the first if you want to secure a spot at Shugakuin or Katsura Imperial Villa. (sometimes reservations are open longer for certain days/times, but it can be shocking at how fast these fill up!

If you don't get a reservation, then as others say, you could take the gamble and go to the Kyoto Imperial Office the morning you hope to tour and see if you can get in. (being flexible will likely help, so be open to different options. I'd say Kyoto Imperial Palace would be last choice out of all of them, though)

If you only have a limited time in Kyoto, though, and you are unable to make the reservation in advance, you may be better off planning a day of sightseeing elsewhere. Even if you do go to the office, having a back-up plan ready is a good idea so you won't waste time not knowing what you want to do.

The outer areas of Kurama, Takao, and Ohara are all good for leaves. Daigoji Temple and Tofukuji Temple are also very popular, so you have many options, regardless of which palace you visit.
by Rabbityama rate this post as useful

Great! Another Gion Question.. 2010/6/18 17:09
Thanks for all the inputs & advice !

i have about 5 days of sightsee time in kyoto. Definitely reserving a spot from the website for Shukakuin Imperial villa!

by jp tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread