Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train surcharge question (JR pass) 2010/6/22 09:54
I'm a little over halfway through a month in Japan, and I've got a two week JR pass that I'm currently using. I'm in Kyoto now, having arrived from Tottori. Prior to that, I was in Fukuoka.

When going to Tottori, I was quite unpleasantly surprised to be told while on the train that I needed to pay a surcharge of 1770 yen, as I asked when I reserved my seat and was told that the pass would cover the whole trip. I also paid another 1770 yen coming from Tottori to Kyoto.

From here I plan to spend some time in Nara, then Kanazawa and Takayama before heading back to Kyoto. I was hoping someone could tell me if there are any extra surcharges not covered by the JR pass on any of those trips, as I will have to alter my plans if there are since my budget is really hurting at the moment. Thanks in advance for any answers anyone can provide!
by Starr (guest)  

. 2010/6/22 10:58
Sections where you have to pay an additional surcharge is listed below on this page:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/eng/en004.html

If you rode on the Super Hakuto you had to pay an additional surcharge.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/6/22 11:00
You can view the affected lines here too:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2368.html
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

ticket agents 2010/6/22 11:26
When going to Tottori, I was quite unpleasantly surprised to be told while on the train that I needed to pay a surcharge of 1770 yen, as I asked when I reserved my seat and was told that the pass would cover the whole trip.

Where did you reserve your seats? If you reserved in Hakata then I wouldn't be surprised that the ticket agent made a mistake informing you of the surcharge. The JR system is so complicated that the agents have a hard time knowing all the details of their own region let alone the other JR regions.

Check the links expresstrain gave you, but I don't see any other surcharges in your upcoming itinerary that you need to worry about.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread