Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where is off the beaten track in Japan? 2010/7/1 02:32
Hi,
I've visited Japan a few times in my life and have always enjoyed it. The usual tourist attractions don't do it for me anymore. Could anybody recommend something different? Could be a fantastic ramen shop in Inaka, a pottery in the middle of nowhere, a tea farm in the hills. Any ideas? I've got a railticket and no set plans... Thanks in advance
by Milesf  

some suggestions 2010/7/1 12:08
Well, how about Miho no Matsubara in Shimizu, or the Kiso post towns, how about a horsemeat restaurant in Matsumoto, or the Ukiyo-e museum there. Then there's the Kompirasan festival in Kotohira, a stay in a temple at Koyasan, Cherry blossom season in Yoshino and the kofun at Asuka. I'm sure I'm only scratching the surface.
by koniero rate this post as useful

Tripping 2010/7/1 14:41
Look at Japan o nGoogle earth and find a spot in the middle of nowhere where even trains don't go..and there are no roads. This is the true meaning of "off the beaten track" ..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/7/1 15:48
It would help if you mentioned where you have been and what the "usual attractions" means to you.

Have a look at some of these:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Off_the_beaten_track_in_Japan

The San-in Coast is an excellent region that most tourists don't visit. Have you been there? (Tsuwano, Oda/Iwami Ginzan, Izumo, Matsue, Yonago, Daisen, Kurayoshi, Tottori)

Have you been to Shikoku? The entire island is off the beaten path for most foreign tourists.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

Doumo 2010/7/2 01:22
Thank you for those suggestions. I've been to most major cities in Japan, onsen towns and stayed at a temple - many decades ago. However, there are some great suggestions here - The San-in coast and Shikoku are places I've not ventured. Keep the suggestions coming.
by Milesf rate this post as useful

everywhere 2010/7/2 08:05
Are you looking for sceneries, food, culture?
If you go just behind the main tourist beaten paths, you will find many. For example, I was staying at Ichigaya, Tokyo and I joined a neighborhood mochi making event for NY celebration, free to eat delicious freshly pounded mochi & zoni soup for anybody in a December.
In Hokkaido I went all the way to Kamuiwakka river onsen in Shiretoko, totally untouched by man & free to bathe.
In Kyushu, driving through Mt. Aso to Amagase onsen north, we stopped at an un-manned vege. stand, a honor system and nobody stealing visible cash. Out of a thick bamboo forest, came upon an old straw thatched roof farm house, which tuned out to be a restaurant and had delicious chicken BBQ dish in front of irori on tatami.
These are just a few examples.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

tonkotsu ramen 2010/7/2 08:18
ah, for ramen, you have to come to Kurume, Fukuoka, Kyushu where is the origin of tonkotsu Kyushu ramen. The best.
Chanpon in Nagasaki is great, too.
Iki island off of Fukuoka is great for sea shell sashimi/BBQ. Deer sashimi in Yufuin.
Kyoto shukubo for Shojin Ryori.
Kushiro, Hokkaido for crabs,
all you can eat shabushabu at Shabuzen, Roppongi, Tokyo, etc., etc.
by amazinga (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread