Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

what places should i avoid in tokyo ? 2010/7/3 06:58
I'll be in Japan soon - i know the places iwould like to see - but i would also like to know the places to avoid ?
by ŠOl (guest)  

avoid? 2010/7/3 10:56
Can you clarify what you mean by that? Do you mean dangerous places, boring places, overrated places?

There aren't really any dangerous places in Tokyo, as long as you use your common sense.

I personally recommend avoiding rush hour on the Yamanote line, or at Shibuya station or Shinjuku station, especially with luggage- it's not fun.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

One more 2010/7/3 10:57
Also, I recommend avoiding Disneyland on the weekend or public holidays, unless you enjoy waiting in queues for several hours.

. 2010/7/3 11:46
Avoid all touts who tries to lure you to a restaurants/bars, especially in Roppongi.
by Tokyonet (guest) rate this post as useful

@sira 2010/7/3 12:53
Actually both. - I wanna avoid tourist traps - things that are a waste of money, unsavoury places which are not suitable for couples etc
by shof rate this post as useful

hmmmmmm 2010/7/3 13:17
Asakura - Everything here is neither authentic nor historic.
Tokyo Dysney - This is not Japanese!
Roppongi - This is not Japanese either!
Tokyo Tower - This is the copy of Effel Tower in Paris.

In spite of the reality, these attractions do attract millions of tourists every year. So I recommend you to have fun with your travel as an innocent tourist. :)
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

More tourist traps 2010/7/3 17:53
The Imperial East Garden is overrated imo! There are much more beautiful gardens elsewhere, yet for some reason it seems to be on the "must do" list for tourists.

Tokyo tower.
Ghibli museum.
Tsukiji fish market.

Actually i kind of like Asakusa even though it's touristy, however the Senso-ji temple is being under repair so don't bother if you're going just to see that.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

- 2010/7/3 23:29
Traveling as a couple? Probably best to avoid Kabuki-cho at night.
by koniero rate this post as useful

what to see or not 2010/7/4 06:45
"Asakura - Everything here is neither authentic nor historic." I think that the poster meant Asakusa...
Considering that Tokyo was nearly totally destroyed by the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923 (it killed 100 000 people) then again during WWII, most of Tokyo is not"authentic" but then neither are many historical towns and buildings around the world that either had to be totally rebuilt after one war or another, or have to be restored from time to time.
the OP should read a good guidebook first to find what they are likely to like.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

Depends 2010/7/4 07:50
It really depends on you. What are you looking for from the city? Traditions? Modern life? Historical?

A lot of people said that you should avoid Tokyo Tower, but I plan to visit there because it currently offers the highest view of Tokyo (going to be surpassed in 2012 by Tokyo Sky Tree).

I also plan to visit Asakusa, but it's a shame the Sensoji temple will be undergoing renovation. :(

I WAS told to avoid Roppongi, though, only because I was under the impression that it had higher crime rates (due to high tourist concentration) that the rest of the city. And I agree that you should avoid any of the major train stations during rush hour. X.X
by RaikouNeko rate this post as useful

I like Asakusa 2010/7/4 08:13
I agree with red frog and Sarah- while Asakusa (which I assume is what is meant by Asakura) is not the original building, that is par for the course in a city that was destroyed twice just in the 20th century and not a reason not to go.

The Golden Pavilion (Kinkakuji) in Kyoto is also a fairly recent building after having been burned down about 50 years ago but that doesn't mean it's not worth visiting.

I like the atmosphere in Asakusa- it is touristy, but that includes plenty of Japanese tourists, and I don't think i've seen anything like the giant red lantern in Kaminari-mon gate elsewhere in Japan- it makes great pictures.

Even though the temple is covered in scaffolding right now, there is still Nakamise-dori, which can be quite interesting in itself, plus the surrounding area- even though it was all rebuilt after the war it is still one of Tokyo's most historic districts and has quite a different vibe to completely modern Shinjuku for example.

Then there is also the great view of Asahi's interestingly-shaped buildings across the river, and it is the only place in Tokyo you can take a rickshaw ride. You might also see a traditional wedding- my sister-in-law got married at the shrine next to the temple.

As for other areas, I second staying clear of Kabuki-cho, the red-light area of Shinjuku. It's not really dangerous, just seedy.

Roppongi 2010/7/4 08:15
By day, Roppongi is a great place. Roppongi Hills, Tokyo Midtown, and three wonderful art museums. By night, not so great...
by Walkingfool (guest) rate this post as useful

How 2010/7/4 19:53
How could anyone in their right mind say to avoid Asakusa? It's one of the best places in Tokyo, especially if you explore the side-streets. The Asakusa Market is overpriced for the most part, but you can find all the stuff sold in the shops there in cheaper shops down side alleys. The Temples are also great, and if you're lucky enough to be there during one of the festivals it's an unmissable experience.

Tsukiji should also be visited, though I wouldn't bother doing the 5am thing. Just go in the morning, have a quick look around and eat some breakfast. For 1000 yen you'll get the best sashimi in Tokyo.

Roppongi, like any nightlife oriented place, has its good points and bad points. If you go to the right bars or clubs it can be good, and it's more tailored to foreigners. I do agree however, that you need to be very careful. If you go, don't take your credit cards if you have any. Just cash will do.
by Hmm (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/4 21:24
I agree with Red frog, Sarah, Sira, and Hmm about Asakusa - I am a Tokyo resident but I don't know how many times I've been to Asakusa and enjoyed the visit (in addition to the New Year's Days). It's a charming area to visit, you don't have to buy anything if you find the stuff at the shops corny or expensive, but it's got a good old-fashioned, downtown atmosphere.

Definition of "tourist traps" is so subjective! :)
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread