Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Traveling Questions (Customs, Jetlag) 2010/7/4 03:09
Hey,

I will be traveling to Japan this Thursday.
I will fly out of Cincinnati at 6:41 am to New York, where I will fly at 11:00am and arrive in Tokyo at 1:55pm on Friday.

Will I have to deal with any customs in the US, or only when I arrive in Japan?

Does anyone have any tips for getting through the airports? Do I need anything besides my departure/return ticket, ID, and passport? I've heard something about a customs sheet that the airline is supposed to give me to fill out. When do I get that? Or should I have it already?

Also,
Since I will need to leave for the airport around 4~ in the morning, then leave New York at 11am, how can I avoid jetlag? I thought about staying up all night and then as soon as I get onto the plane in NY to Tokyo, go to sleep, then hopefully wake up around morning time Japan-time.

Any thoughts/suggestions/experienced tips?

Thanks

Also quick side question. I want to bring some liquids as gifts, but I'm planning on going to carry-on route. So I was thinking of bringing some crappy checked bag to carry the liquids. But I will be in Japan for over a week before I get to the house I want to bring gifts to. Should I just mail them to my friend's house once I land in Tokyo? (Wine, food, etc)
by Ludz (guest)  

... 2010/7/4 11:22
Do I need anything besides my departure/return ticket, ID, and passport?

The passport is your ID. You need just the ticket and passport.

I've heard something about a customs sheet that the airline is supposed to give me to fill out. When do I get that? Or should I have it already?

You will get it in the plane. If for some reason you don't get it, there are plenty of them at the airport, where you can fill them out while waiting for your luggage.

Since I will need to leave for the airport around 4~ in the morning, then leave New York at 11am, how can I avoid jetlag? I thought about staying up all night and then as soon as I get onto the plane in NY to Tokyo, go to sleep, then hopefully wake up around morning time Japan-time.

The internet is full with tips on how to avoid jetlag, and the preferred ways vary between people. My personal beliefs are:

1) start the travel day well rested (if I had a 4am start, I would perfectly prepare everything the night before and go to bed early)

2) enjoy only a limited amount of alcohol during the travel day (or none)

3) try to sleep in the plane

4) force yourself to adjust to the new time zone from arrival day (e.g. stay awake until normal bed time on arrival day)
by Uji rate this post as useful

gifts 2010/7/4 16:56
Liquids are a problem. Too many chances that they break during the trip. When it come to wine or alcohol..some people don' like them and many people that do are very fussy about the type, the region, vintage etc.
Not every type of food are allowed on the plane either.
Fancy chocolates, biscuits etc. are easier to carry and most people are OK with receiving them. . Make sure that they are in strong boxes (tin boxes) to avoid them being crushed. You can carry them all the way to your host place. .No point sending them by mail..
by Monkey see (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread