Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travel from Nagano to Takayama by train? 2010/7/7 07:11
Hi, I am trying to find out if I can travel from Nagano or Matsumoto to Takayama by train. If so would it be a JR line or local line.

I have looked at a Honshu / Nagano Ken map and it looks not possible. Maybe I have to Toyama then south to Takayama on Takayama line ? Maybe this is only way ?

I see the highway 158 gpes to Takayama from Shin-Shimashima Station.... Is it possible to travel from Nagano to Matsumot to Shin-Shimashima by rail then use highway 158 and take a bus?

Is this the best way?

I then want to travel from Takayama to Tokyo and then go to Kamakura, I think I can not travel to Kamamura ftom Takayama without traveling to Tokyo first.....

Sorry for many questions, if my travel plan is not possible maybe it would be easier to hire a car from Nagano and make jpurnry from Nagano to Matsumoto to Takayama then return to Nagano then train to Tokoto then to Kamakura

I have about 3 weeks to make the round journey.

I can buy JR pass is required or I can drive in Japan because I have driven in Japan before and am familiar with the roads and have correct licence....

Any help even if small and little will be appreciated.....

Reagards
by kodamadesune  

... 2010/7/7 12:55
The best way is to take the non-JR bus between Matsumoto and Takayama (or drive along the same route). By train, it requires a big detour either around the north via Joetsu and Toyama or around the south via the Nagoya (or Tajimi and Mino-Ota).

More details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5908.html?aFROM=5900_6050

You can look up train routes and timetables on the following website:
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/7/7 16:13
Train from Nagano to Matsumoto is not a problem. From there you'll have to the the bus to Takayama.
I took this excact trip last year and the scenery from the bus was fantastic.
by Olve rate this post as useful

Oh... 2010/7/7 16:15
Train is JR by the way.
Bus isn't.
by Olve rate this post as useful

reply to this thread