Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Good gift from USA for Japanese 2010/7/9 15:35
what gifts can i bring to people in japan from USA? need gift advice! yes a really nice married couple in Tokyo have been helping me to plan my trip and they will pick me up at the airport and i will stay at their hostel. does anyone know what gift from AMERICA i can get them??
by kim (guest)  

us 2010/7/9 18:06
I'd bring some sort of local specialty food or candy. Where are you from in the US?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Gifts from USA 2010/7/10 00:10
i am from philly PA!
yes i heard people in japan like american indian gifts, since this is only found in USA!! or something that says NEW YORK!!
what do you think!
by kim (guest) rate this post as useful

USA 2010/7/16 13:18
Anything that is made in the US will be good. It dosent have to be expensive. Maybe some American food or some decoration they can put in house. When I went to visit japan I took soap that was made in the us, post cards and star made out of glass that a local artist made. If you know their shirt size tshirt would be good to.( you have to be carefull with shirt size because in the states I wear S and M but in japan I had to get everyhing in L) hope that helps
by Nanae (guest) rate this post as useful

more ideas 2010/7/16 21:01
Stamps from the post office (1 cent or 2 cent stamps can be purchased in sheets for as cheap as stickers)

Flavored tea (vanilla, chai, orange, just stuff in boxes from a normal grocery store, brands like Lipton or Bigelow)

Flavored coffee (I have heard Hazelnut is especially popular)

Decaf coffee (very hard to find in Japan)

Instant Oatmeal (Quaker brand or other; this is still unusual in Japan)

Licorice (this is a shock gift. Most Japanese people really dislike it, but it can be a fun way to introduce culture differences)

Some kind of individually wrapped chocolate or candy

If you are coming at this time of year (July, August), be especially careful with things that can melt, like chocolate or some candies. You will need to get it to a refrigerator soon after the flight, or it will be a big mess in your suitcase.
by frostphoenix rate this post as useful

Jelly Beans! 2010/7/17 02:04
Jelly Belly makes nice gift sets of jelly beans with different numbers of flavors. They even have Hello Kitty boxes and a ''Patriotic'' set that has an American flag and 'Made in America' on it. I've always had good luck with jelly beans, and my penpals are 30+ years old.

Stay away from their BeanBoozled stuff (what their Bertie Bott's line turned into when the license expired or whatever happened) unless your penpal likes canned dog food or moldy cheese.
by Catfish (guest) rate this post as useful

Something besides candy 2010/7/17 03:53
Small candy gifts are not a bad idea, but just bear in mind there are less people in Japan who enjoy western sweets (or sweets at all). Some of my previous host families years ago did not eat any of the candies I'd brought for them. Luckily I'd brought a little more than just candy. So my suggestion is only, if you do bring sweets, bring something else, too, just in case.
by Hyakurin (guest) rate this post as useful

What is special to your area? 2010/7/22 01:25
I have been in Japan for an awsome 15 days.
The Japanese people would be happy with anything you give them. They are not going to say it sucks. I would say give them something you can only find in your area. I mean you are competing with 50 states and they really like Hawaii. SO what does you city or state have to offer? I mean my gifts are easy I am from Southern California, so I just go for some beach stuff. Just remember unique to your area.
Have a great trip.
by Travelman rate this post as useful

Similar question 2010/8/24 11:18
I am also going to Japan in the Fall. My plan was to bring treats that represent my background, so American, British and Jamaican. But reading this and another post has made me a little worried about just bringing that. My host family are in their late 50s and their children are in their late 20s. I feel that stickers and stamps might come across a little childish. I'm from Miami, and on that note bringing sand from South Beach seems a bit lame and I really can't think of anything else that represents Miami. If push comes to shove then I probably will fall back on postcards and keychains. Is there any other gifts that could represent the US?

I wish I could just bring fruit, but I know it is against the law.
by re-rambles (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread