Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Nikko - World Heritage Pass Questions 2010/7/13 03:56
Hi All,

I am once again looking for your wisdom and knowledge about all things Japan. This time I'm on to Nikko. So, please could you help with the following...

We will be purchasing the World Heritage Passes. However, our itinerary means that we will be unable to purchase the tickets from Asakusa Tobu before the day we wish to travel and the Tobu ticket office does not open until 08:00 am(?). As we were hoping to catch the 07:10 Rapid, my quiestion is if there are any other places that we can collect tickets, ideally near to Shinjuku.

I am aware, you can purchase the passes online so long as it is above 4 days in advance. Therefore can I ask if the online purchase is a pass that is printed out, or do you still have to collect this from Asakusa Tobu ticket office?

I think I know this one, but for clarification...with the world heritage pass can you only catch rapid trains without paying a surcharge? I presume that Kegon and Kinu trains cost more on top of the pass.

Finally with the World Heritage Pass you gain entry in to Toshogu Shrine, Futarasan Shrine and Rinnoji Temple. As we would also like to visit Taiyuinbyo, Shoyoen Gardens, Shinkyo Bridge etc is it worth purchasing the combination ticket on top of the heritage free pass or buy individual tickets for the additional attractions.

Many Thanks in advance to all who read / reply.

G

by gxj710  

... 2010/7/14 08:49
The situation with getting a pass has always confused me. It seems that certain ticket windows inside the station can also issue you a pass outside the opening hours of the office for foreigners, but I am not entirely clear about the location and opening hours.

If possible, I recommend to get the actual pass at a ticket office on a day prior to your trip to Nikko, e.g. at Asakusa Station or the tourist information desk at the Nihonbashi Exit of Tokyo Station:
http://www.tobu.co.jp/foreign/news/20090826-1.html

I think I know this one, but for clarification...with the world heritage pass can you only catch rapid trains without paying a surcharge? I presume that Kegon and Kinu trains cost more on top of the pass.

Your understanding is correct.

Finally with the World Heritage Pass you gain entry in to Toshogu Shrine, Futarasan Shrine and Rinnoji Temple. As we would also like to visit Taiyuinbyo, Shoyoen Gardens, Shinkyo Bridge etc is it worth purchasing the combination ticket on top of the heritage free pass or buy individual tickets for the additional attractions.

No. It is not worth buying the combination ticket. The World Heritage Pass in combination with individual tickets will be cheaper.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread