Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 days in Tokyo, 3 days in Kyoto 2010/8/3 22:07
hey guy, just wondering if you guy could help me with some suggestions/itinery to make the best of my limited time in both Toyko and Kyoto.

The first of the 3 days in both Tokyo and Kyoto includes a brief morning tour with tokyo mornng tour including a visit to meiji shrine, the imperial palace plaza and the senso-ji temple so we would have from midday that day.

same for kyoto really, morning tour to nijo castle and kink-ju temple so those sites would have been visted,

any suggestions would be very much appreicated

CHEERS
by Beaumont  

Not enough time 2010/8/4 14:05
Sorry, but I think you will miss alot in eighter city. Why not just stay in Tokyo or only Kyoto? For my experiance 6 days are not enough to leave Tokyo. Just my 2 cts
by Christian76 rate this post as useful

3 days Kyoto and 3 days Tokyo 2010/8/4 18:25
I agree that 3 days in Tokyo doesn't really cut it, though 3 in Kyoto is more than enough. How about a 4-2 split?

If you're mostly into shrines and temples, then what you have planned sounds good. In Tokyo, I wouldn't miss Akihabara, Odaiba, Shibuya/Harajuku, and the Tsukiji fish market.

Josh
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

reply 2010/8/4 20:42
yea i completely understand 3 days in tokyo is really not enough but the 3 days in each city is the time i have.

i was thinking after the morning tour which ends in asakusa i could hop on tube to akihabara then onto the tokyo national museum in ueno, then spend evening in shinjuka or shibuya. does that sound feasable?

then second day visit Tsukiji fish market in the morning and thats as far as i have come up with.

again i understand the time frame isnt ideal but any constructive help would be much appreciated
by Beaumont rate this post as useful

sorry 2010/8/4 20:43
sorry i completely forgot to say thankyou for replying i really appreciate it, and thanks for the suggestions

More suggestions 2010/8/5 02:45
I think your plan for the first day is hectic, but definitely feasible.

To suggest things to do on your other days, it would really help knowing a bit about your interests. Are you interested in shopping, architecture, gardens, museums, amusement parks/game arcades, nightlife etc etc?

One thing I would definitely recommend is to go to some observation deck and get a view of the city, especially at dusk/evening. I really like the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office in Shinjuku (which is free) and the Tokyo City View in Roppongi Hills.
If you go to Odaiba you could instead visit the Fuji TV Building for nice views.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

cheer 2010/8/7 17:54
i guess a little of everything, i know 3 days in tokyo and 3 days in kyoto is far too little time to see everything, but put yourself in my shoes with hindsight. If you had 3 days in tokyo and 3 days in kyoto what would you do, what would you consider a taste of tokyo. if you had 2 days to spend in tokyo what would you guys consider a must see.

thankyou for replying its very much appreciated

Tokyo 2010/8/7 18:05
What are u interested in ? Shopping? Temples, Food, Landscape?
by Christian (guest) rate this post as useful

above 2010/8/7 18:08
not so interested in shopping in ginza or anywhere like that, but again what do you consider a must-see in tokyo or kyoto?

cheers

Kyoto 2010/8/8 04:03
In Kyoto I consider the Kiyomizudera Temple to be a must see.Get on bus 100 from the Kyoto Station and its something like the 3rd stop, just 10 min or so...the walk up to the temple is really fun; the street is lined with shops and some nice places to eat. I just found that experience to stand out because of the temple's location up above the city, its quite unique and well worth it!!

by deutsche elf rate this post as useful

Tokyo 2010/8/8 05:08
Your plan for Asakusa+Akihabara+National Museum+Shibuya is feasible yes, though prepared to be exhausted! Maybe leave Shibuya and/or Shinjuku for the second day and go to sleep early on the first in order to wake up for the fish market.

Josh
http://smartjapantravel.wordpress.com
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

NO!!!! 2010/8/8 08:02
though 3 in Kyoto is more than enough

I disagree: there is so much in Kyoto a year is not enough!

Suggestions:
Tokyo: Tsukiji then walk through Hama Rikyu garden to the river boat up to Asakusa.
Ueno market and park: choice of museums; lots to see

Kyoto: Fushimi Inari shrine, then Kiyomizudera to Maruyama Park, on into Gion/Pontoncho in the evening
Philosophers walk from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji, then Heian Shrine and downtown Kyoto.
Arashiyama for scenery..the list is endless
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/8/9 05:22
thank you so much for the suggestions, i'll be sure to visit Kiyomizudera Temple as you all have recommended it and i'll do some research into the other suggestions but sounds good.

i agree tbh josh and think i may leave Shibuya and/or Shinjuku for the 2nd day. its finding the balance between seeing plenty but being able to enjoy it.

... 2010/8/9 06:17
I think fmj has it just about perfect, for Kyoto. I've spent only about a week and a half in Tokyo altogether, and I think of the inner city (that I saw) I liked Ueno the best. I didnt really enjoy Shinjuku that much at all, though the park was nice with the Sakura out. Shiba Park (Zozoji and the cemetary next to it) is a nice quiet part of town as well.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

!!! 2010/8/9 06:53
Thanks Pious!!! I LOVE Kyoto.....

me too 2010/8/9 07:04
...and my wife and kids cant get enough of it either. we are back at christmas for the 4th time - cant wait for that ramen on philosopher's path, then the restaurant with the pottery shop at kiyomizudera, italian place at end of shinmonzen dori at Gion [stomach growling...must stop thinking about kyoto food...]

travel 2010/8/9 19:42
with me only having 3 days in tokyo and intending to only travel within tokyo what rail pass etc would be the best? ive heard off a 3 day pass for both Toei and Tokyo Metro lines is that correct? or is it cheaper to travel using single tickets

thank you

which ramen shop? 2010/8/10 07:43
Hi Pious can you tell us exactly where the ramen place is on Philosophers Path?? That will fit in very well with our time this November!! Thanks

oishiii! 2010/8/10 08:03
OK, as you are walking along the "canal" from Silver Temple toward Nanzenji, you usually have the canal on your left, and little shops and things on your right. Anyway, probably after a couple of hundred metres or so, maybe more on the left (across the canal) is a little restaurant. It is probably the first (maybe only) restaurant you see on that side. It has knick knacks and clothes as well (quality pretty good, actually) and each time I've been it has been staffed by one lovely lady, who I'd guess owns it, who I dont think speaks english at all, or at least she doesnt let on. Anyway, the menu is pretty limited with maybe 10 savory things, and japanese sweets ("burning egg toast" is on it, but despite being intrigued I havent tried that one), but the pork ramen is really good, especially on a cold day. Give it a go!

Got it!! 2010/8/10 08:56
Bookmarked, printed and in the plan: think I've found it in my photos..Many thanks!!!!!!
We plan on starting at Shisendo this time, then Ginkakuji, Honenin,and onto Eikando, Nanzenki and Tenjuan, all for "koyo": can't wait....so now lunch is organised!!

reply to this thread