Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Using both JR Pass and JR East Pass 2010/8/7 15:46
I already purchased an exchange order for a 7 day JR Pass. I plan to buy a JR East Pass (3 days special) once I arrive in Japan.

Will I be allowed to use both in the same trip?
by Var (guest)  

will you need to? 2010/8/7 19:57
By same trip do you mean on the same day to start with the JR East pass somewhere and finish in JR Central/West?

If you have a JR Pass you only need that for wherever you go

The JR Pass is for ALL JR lines

by fmj rate this post as useful

?? 2010/8/7 20:29
What's the point of purchasing both passes, when you already have the 7 day pass?
by Toro (guest) rate this post as useful

?? 2010/8/7 20:35
What's the point of purchasing both passes, when you already have the 7 day pass?
by Toro (guest) rate this post as useful

yes, you can 2010/8/8 00:04
My guess is that the original poster meant trip as an entire trip (i.e 10 days), and asked if they could use them back to back. For example, I was on a JR pass traveling all over Japan for 21 days.

However, I wanted to travel around Tohoku after my JR pass expired. Instead of spending more money getting a nationwide pass, I bought a JR east pass instead.

So in answer to val, you can use a JR east pass after or before a JR nationwide pass without a problem (as long as you stay in the JR east area).
by mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks again, Mike 2010/8/8 02:31
Sorry for the confusion, but it's exactly as Mike has said, I plan to use the two passes for the same Japan trip over a period of 2 weeks.

by Var (guest) rate this post as useful

Purchasing JR Pass 2010/8/8 05:04
Just make sure you buy them BEFORE coming to Japan, because you stated that you intend to purchase the pass once you arrive.

Josh
http://smartjapantravel.wordpress.com
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

I think JR East is okay 2010/8/8 05:48
Unlike the JR Pass, I believe that the JR East Pass can be bought once you are in Japan.
by Var (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/8/8 07:57
Yes can be bought in Japan. Must be used within 10 days of purchase if so, or within 10 days of validation if bought outside Japan
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/8 16:34
Yes can be bought in Japan. Must be used within 10 days of purchase if so, or within 10 days of validation if bought outside Japan

Note that the above only applies to the special 3-day flexible pass. Not the other versions of the JR East Pass.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread