Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

return rental car at different location 2010/8/17 21:18
Is it normal to pick up a car from one place and return to another location in Japan?

Is there additional fee for doing that?

How does it work to refill gas in Japan? In USA, we pay at the counter or use credit card at the pump.

Thank you.
by blackziam (guest)  

... 2010/8/18 08:15
Is it normal to pick up a car from one place and return to another location in Japan?

Yes. I do it almost all the time.

Is there additional fee for doing that?

Yes. Except sometimes if the locations are fairly close to each other, e.g. same city. It depends on the policy of each car rental company.

How does it work to refill gas in Japan? In USA, we pay at the counter or use credit card at the pump.

The majority of gas stands in Japan are not self service. So, you just pay to the person while sitting in your car by cash or credit card. You should indicate the payment method at the beginning.

In case of self service gas stands, you usually pay by credit card or cash at the pump. And if pay by cash and get change, you often have to pick it up from some separate machine in a different location that is dedicated to pay out change.
by Uji rate this post as useful

figure out 2010/8/19 00:10
Thank you very much Uji. Is it possible to find out from web site whether which one I can return at different location.

I was checking out ToCoo but I cannot figure it out. Or do I need to directly contact the rental shop/company first?
by blackziam (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/19 08:45
Is it possible to find out from web site whether which one I can return at different location.

All companies that I know and have more than one outlet allow drop offs. Whether an actual car is available for a specific drop off can only be answered by sending an actual reservation request to a specific company.

I think that if a car available, any drop off is possible. Even between the islands of Honshu, Kyushu and Shikoku. But it is probably not possible between Hokkaido and the rest of Japan. Taking a car onto a Hokkaido ferry would be too expensive anyway.

Below are some basics about drop off fees:

From Tocoo:
http://www2.tocoo.jp/?file=rentcar_inbound/drop_off/mazda

From Toyota:
http://rent.toyota.co.jp/en/rental/main06-1.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread