Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Another Kyoto Itinerary (4 Days) 2010/8/19 06:03
Hi All,

I am planning the Kyoto stage of my trip now which will consist of 4 days and once again I seek your advice and guidance. Below is my planned itinerary which I would appreciate any comments on:

Day 1
Tofukuji
Kyoto Station
Sento Imperial Villa / Gardens (if we get tour places)
Shimogamo
Downtown Kyoto

Day 2
Ginkakuji
Philosophers Path
Honenin
Philosophers Path
Eikando Temple
Nanzenji Temple
Maruyama Park
Yasaka Shrine
Gion

Day 3
Daitokuji
Kinkakuji
Ryoanji
Ninnaji

Day 4
Kodaji
Kiyomizudera
Sanjusangendo
Nijo Castle

We tried to split the days up in to North, East, West and some South. I appreciate that day 2 looks very busy, do you think this is doable in one day?

Please let me know if there is anything that you think I have completely missed off too!! I've not got round to planning the evening's yet so any suggestions would be great, although I imagine we will be tired from all the sightseeing.

Thanks again, and I look forward to reading your responses.

G
by gxj710  

... 2010/8/19 11:00
It looks good to me. Day 2 is not too busy. Actually I think that day 1 is busier, if you have to go and try to make tour reservations on the day itself. Also, may I ask why Sento Palace? I think it is the least interesting of the four Imperial properties in Kyoto, although it is also interesting.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Sento Imperial Palace 2010/8/20 03:36
Thanks Uji,

We initially chose Sento over the others as the tour appears to be more based around gardens than buildings and I had read that the gardens were worth seeing.

However, having read your post I have done a bit more searching and considering how many temples and gardens we will actually see during our 4 days in tokyo, I may give the Sento Imperial Palace a miss to view some other sights in Kyoto.

If we do visit the Sento Palace or the Kyoto Imperial Palace we were going to apply for tour tickets online 3 months before our visit as stated on the website.

Do you recommend any alternatives to the palace visit that are not on the current 4 day plan?

Many Thanks again Uji

G
by gxj710 rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/20 10:42
Do you recommend any alternatives to the palace visit that are not on the current 4 day plan?

I would not miss Fushimi Inari Shrine. It is my personal favorite:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3915.html

Excellent 2010/8/20 17:08
Thanks Uji,

We were actually looking at going here as it is close to Tofukuji and would tie in nicely for the first morning. I think we'll take this option as we should be able to spend some good time walking through the torri gates.

Your help is much appreciated as ever,

G
by gxj710 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/20 18:48
Day 1 is already quite a busy day. Adding Fushimi Inari would make it even busier. Especially if you prefer a slower pace of travel, you might want to consider replacing it with something else rather than just adding it.

... 2010/8/20 20:10
Sorry, not sure I made myself too clear in my last post. I plan to remove the imperial visit therefore day 1 would look something like this...

AM / Early Afternoon
Fushimi Inari Shrine
Tofukuji

PM
Shimogamo (+Kamigamo if we have time)
Downtown Kyoto (inc Kyoto Station)

Thanks
by gxj710 (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/21 11:57
Sorry, I was inattentive. Your plan for day 1 looks good.

reply to this thread