Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Winter rotenburo 2010/8/19 16:35
Would appreciate if anyone could advise on rotenburo. I'm making a trip there in late december and I'd like to enjoy an outdoor bath in the snow. Anyone know the best time and place to experience rotenburo in the snow ? I will be staying in Tokyo.
by Clarissa (guest)  

... 2010/8/19 18:23
I imagine Nyuto Onsen, especially Tsurunoyu, to be very nice in the snow:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3650.html

I enjoyed the outdoor bath of the Prince Hotel in Manza Onsen a lot. It is much closer to Tokyo than Nyuto Onsen:
http://www.princehotels.co.jp/manza/onsen/
by Uji rate this post as useful

Winter rotenburo 2010/8/19 19:00
I visited here late April in 2008. The hot spring was spouting vigorously from a hole at the bottom of the rotenburo. It wasn't so hot, 37-38 degrees Celsius, about 100 degrees Fahrenheit, perfect for long-time soaking. I spent more than an hour in early evening and the following morning each time.

You can enjoy view of blue-green Tadami River(只見川), cherry blossoms, and a local train passing far away while soaking. Surprisingly, the hot spring water tastes a little bit sweet (I know it's not for drinking!)

A family run inn, Tatsumi-so(たつみ荘) owns this rotenburo. They allow day visitors' soaking for free so far. First you have to ask permission. No wonder staying (paying) guests have priority for soaking. It's a mixed bath, swim suites bathing is prohibited, and there is no changing room. I recommend you to stay overnight at the Tatsumi-so and soak early in the morning or in the night. Hundreds of people visit here on weekends and national holidays.
by ereperez rate this post as useful

thank you 2010/8/24 17:33
Dear Uji
Thank you for the helpful links. The baths listed there are beautiful. I hope to see snow in December although I heard snow in Tokyo is quite rare?

Dear ereperez
Thank you for your suggestion, sounds like you had a great trip, I have never tried drinking the bath water :D I'll try it when i'm there to see if it's sweet then hehe.
by Clarissa (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread