Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Itinerary Help 2010/8/28 04:10
hey there guys and girl, really hoping i can pool some of your experience in planning my 3 days in Kyoto. I will be arriving in Kyoto around 12 on the first day,

on the second day i have a morning tour taking in Kinka-ju Temple and Nijo Castle so would have from 12ish again free that day,

and a final completely free third day so any help would be much appreciated whether it be must see places or actual help with itenerary any help would be a god send

as a side note ive been told Kiyomizudera Temple to be a must see and that the "walk up to the temple is really fun; the street is lined with shops and some nice places to eat"

Hopefully we could incorporate the Philosophers Path/Walk from Ginkakuji to Nanzenji into the trip to Kiyomizudera Temple

thank you so much

Kev
by Beaumont  

... 2010/8/28 09:49
I recommend to read about the various attractions introduced on this website, and based on your personal interest and the user ratings make a selection of places that you are most interested in:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2158.html

Then take a look at the map and visit the sights in a way that is geographically most sensible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

my recommend Kyoto 2010/8/28 13:13
I like go to Kyoto, therefore I have some recommend to you.
1st day on night, you can have wonderful view from Kyoto tower.
2st day, Do you have free time after tour Nijo-jo?
so I don't know what you are intersted in..
If you like Japanese historical movie, I recommend "UZUMASA-MURA". (toey kyoto stuio park)
or you like Japanese comics (manga), I recommend "Kyoto International Manga museum".
of If you want to go to "Kyoto gosyo" (imperial palace), you need book beforehand.
3st day, how long do you have time?
this is my favorite Kyoto's course.
fist time, you need get Kyoto bus 1 day free card. (500) and bus map.
then go to "To-ji" on bus. here is a lot of budda and silent time.
then go to "Kiyomizu" on bus. get off bus, take walk on uphill way.
then go to "Yasaka" on foot from there with olid city street.
if you have time yet, go to "Heian-jingu" (big Torii and wondelful garden)
and go to "Ginkaku-ji"
when enjoy Kyoto, you can choice bus or rental bicycle.
have a good trip in Kyoto. (^^)

so.. my English is not good.
are you understand this?
by yurilikesmile rate this post as useful

3 Days in Kyoto 2010/8/28 16:39
Choose a few temples that interest you (read about them on this website perhaps), and pay them a visit. In the evening walk through the Gion area. On one of the days I suggest taking a side-trip to either: Nara, Kobe, Osaka, Arashiyama, or a nearby hot spring.

I think 1.5-2 days in Kyoto itself is more than enough, unless you want to see all the temples and shrines it has to offer.

Josh
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

OP response 2010/8/28 19:59
thank you all for getting back to me, thank you for the link Uji will be sure to take your advice.

thank you yurilikesmile, your english was great- to answer you questions about free time;

1st day: free from 12ish
2nd day: morning tour that takes in Nijo Castle and Kinka-ju Temple, so free from round 12ish again
3rd day: All day and night free
4th day: travel back to Tokyo

and Josh, cheers for the suggestions will check the site out, and the Hotel is only 15-20 min walk from Gion so will be sure to visit in the evening.
by Beaumont rate this post as useful

for 3 day 2010/8/31 11:31
you have many time (^^)
you can go to 1 day trip on 3 day.
for example.. Himeji-jo or Nara with JR.
Himeji-jo is very beautiful castle.
and Nara has a just historic event.
http://www.1300.jp/foreign/english/index.html

have a good trip(^^)
by yurilikesmile rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/31 11:37
Himeji-jo is very beautiful castle

But note that it is currently covered up in scaffolding:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3501.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Arashiyama 2010/8/31 14:23
If you are free on Day 3, maybe you can consider going Arashiyama. I did a side trip there and throughly enjoyed myself on board Sagano Romantic Train, regretted that i didnt have more time to take the boat tour down Hozu River.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html
by Rochelle (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/9/13 22:27
hey guys, thank you for the suggestions.

I'm really trying to screw down a small itenerary now and just wondering if what i have so far sounds good and any suggestions are welcomed;

1st day: free from 12ish so maybe philosophers walk? end up in gion and have meal there and wonder round in evening.

2nd day: morning tour that takes in Nijo Castle and Kinka-ju Temple, on return to hotel (on karasuma dori) head to gion and then take in Kiyomizudera Temple - evening in gion.

3rd day: ____

im not sure on how long things take so if ive tried to fit too much or too little in any suggestions are welcomed.

thank you

more suggestions for Kyoto area 2010/9/14 11:40
I was in Kyoto this past April for 2 days, 1 night, and I got to squeeze quite a few things in. Maybe because I have been to Kyoto before, so this time around I skipped a lot of temples, expect for Kiyomizu Temple.

If you aren't too big on seeing a lot of temples, and enjoy scenic places, I would also recommend Arashiyama as others have suggested. It is very beautiful there, and the bamboo grove is a must see if you do go.

Otherwise, you could consider the Fushimi Inari Shrine, surrounded by paths made up of thousands of tori gates. Quite a spectacular sight (in my opinion).

Note that Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari are in opposite directions, so most likely you won't be able to hit both places in a day (will waste too much time on traveling).

by Edith (guest) rate this post as useful

well 2010/9/14 11:49
I actually hit arashiyama and fushimi inari on the same day...and we didn't even start that early! We watched the sunset from the top of the temple. We even went to that movie star's villa overlooking the area... The walk through the bamboo forest is a must do, IMHO..

It all depends on your travel pace...I was 21 at the time, and we enjoyed a faster travel pace..consider what you enjoy most and then go from there!

Cheers,

Michael
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2010/9/14 12:09
We did Fushimi Inari and Arashiyama on the same day. We did an fairly early start but you don't need to be that early, I just wanted to experience the walk through the tori when it was quite quiet. Then we got the train back to Kyoto and out to Arashiyama and had lunch, walked around, saw the bamboo forest and Ternyu-ji and it gardens. It wasn't a fast paced day. From memory the train to Fushimi Inari took under 15 minutes and from Kyoto to Sago Arashiyama on JR lines was about the same so not so much traveling really.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

THANK YOU 2010/9/23 20:55
thank you so much for the suggestions, pretty sure we'll hit up Sago Arashiyama on the 3rd day now so itinerary is looking like this;

I'm really trying to screw down a small itenerary now and just wondering if what i have so far sounds good and any suggestions are welcomed;

1st day: free from 12ish so maybe philosophers walk? end up in gion and have meal there and wonder round in evening.

2nd day: morning tour that takes in Nijo Castle and Kinka-ju Temple, on return to hotel (on karasuma dori) head to gion and then take in Kiyomizudera Temple - evening in gion.

3rd day: visit Arashiyama in the morning and possibly visit Fushimi Inari in the evening to enjoy the sunset from its elevated view (or so im told)

again im not sure on how long things take so if ive tried to fit too much or too little in any suggestions are welcomed.

as a side note, is there anywhere online to find timetables for trains/subway?

you guys have been great, thank you so much really mate planning this trip alot easier for a first timer - i'll be sure to contribute when i get back

hey and thanks 2010/9/27 20:01
so just to confirm i think the above will be my final itinery - unless u guys have any other suggestion, or comments eg. too much one day or not enough etc

any help wud be great

thank you

train website 2010/9/27 21:04
by Tom O'Dachi (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread