Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinkansen to mt fuji 5 lakes? 2010/9/3 19:38
I know this has probably been posted before but I'm a real dud at this japan thing. Would appreciate anyone's help!

I'd like to take the bullet train up to mt fuji 5 lakes, or even kawaguchiko if possible? Where should I stop? I'll be staying in shinjuku and travelling with hubby and my 4 yr old. I don't want to take day tours and would like to come back either by coach or train.

Anyone can help? Thanks!!
by Monleo  

... 2010/9/4 08:15
Since you don't mention where you are traveling from, I assume that you start from Tokyo.

I'd like to take the bullet train up to mt fuji 5 lakes, or even kawaguchiko if possible?

The closest shinkansen stations to the Fuji Five Lakes are Mishima and Shin-Fuji. From there there are buses to Kawaguchiko. There are more buses from Mishima (2 hours, 2130 yen one way, about one bus per hour) than Shin-Fuji (2 hours, 2360 yen one way, one bus about every 2 hours).

The shinkansen connections can be looked up here:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

However, access by shinkansen is a big time-consuming and expensive detour and only recommended if you really want to ride the shinkansen once, but have no other opportunity.

The more efficient access methods for Kawaguchiko are explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji 2010/9/4 12:16
I did mention where I was staying or travelling from- Shinjuku ;) Tokyo

would you know roughly what is the cost of a one-way ride on the Shinkansen then? I will only want to take it once, either up or down. Is it possible to take a bus or coach back to shinjuku then?
by Monleo rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/4 12:23
would you know roughly what is the cost of a one-way ride on the Shinkansen then?

Around 4000-5500 yen depending on station and seat type. You can look up exact fares on the following website:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

I will only want to take it once, either up or down. Is it possible to take a bus or coach back to shinjuku then?

Yes. Please take a look at the following page for details:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6905.html

How about this 2010/9/4 12:28
The hyperdia website was in japanese... Couldn't change it to English...

Uji, thanks for that link you gave me on access to 5 lakes. Is this an option- take a limited express train on chuo line to kawaguchiko and then coming back, could I take a bus from five lakes to the odawara station is it??To take the Shinkansen back to shinjuku?

... 2010/9/4 12:35
Basically, yes, you could also travel in the opposite direction. But see some comments on details below:

The hyperdia website was in japanese... Couldn't change it to English...

That is strange. The following link should work then:
http://www.hyperdia.com/en/

Is this an option- take a limited express train on chuo line to kawaguchiko

You have to change from the Chuo Line to the Fujikyuko Line at Otsuki in order to reach Kawaguchiko. The Chuo Line does not go to Kawaguchiko.

could I take a bus from five lakes to the odawara station is it??

Theoretically, but it would require two transfers of buses along the way. I recommend to travel by bus to Mishima Station, instead, as explained above (just opposite direction).

To take the Shinkansen back to shinjuku?

A transfer from the shinkansen to the Yamanote Line is required at Shinagawa Station in order to reach Shinjuku.

Wow 2010/9/4 14:59
Sounds like taking the Shinkansen myself would be one hell of a confusing trip and costly. Hmmmm... I guessbi should really consider a day tour huh? Saves me money and less time consuming. I won't need to plan everything myself, especially with a 4 yr old in tow.

Thanks uji for all the info, will look into my best options..

Skip the train 2010/9/4 17:27
I think the easiest (and probably fastest) way to Kawaguchiko is by direct bus. It's very convenient for you too, since it leaves from Shinjuku station, and takes less than 2 hrs from there. No transfers or anything, and not expensive either.

But day tours can be convenient, too. Japanican has one day tour option where you take the Shinkansen one way, if you would like to experience it: http://www.japanican.com/tours/tourdetail.aspx?destcd=4&deptcd=TYO&cdt...
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

Hi Sarah! 2010/9/4 18:20
Will remember about the bus, though I really wanted to enjoy the experience of sitting on a train.. Do u know if I take a direct bus up, can I take a Shinkansen back to shinjuku? From where and any transfers needed?

I saw that one day tour before from japanican too but after calculating for 3 of us it's gonna come up to be $400+, too ex...

Hehe btw have booked the Citadines, will let you know how it turns out when I return! Can't wait!

Hi! 2010/9/5 07:57
Hm... Shinkansen from Kawaguchiko will take a long time I'm afraid, because the Shinkansen doesn't go near Fuji five lakes. As Uji wrote, you would have to go all the way to Mishima and catch the train from there.

If you are going to Kawaguchiko to see Mt Fuji, you could do a trip to Hakone instead. That way, you could see Mt Fuji (on a clear day) and ride the shinkansen too. If you go there you can stop at Odawara, from which it is only a short train ride (15 min) from Hakone-Yumoto stn.

I am glad you got a room at Citadines! :)

No shinkansen to/from Shinjuku 2010/9/5 08:08
Just to make sure you know- there is no shinkansen station in Shinjuku- you will need to go to Tokyo station, or Shinagawa.

As others have hinted, the shinkansen is far from the best way to get to Fuji Five Lakes area (since it doesn't actually go there), and using it involves enormous detours and a lot more time than other ways of travelling there.

If you really want to take the shinkansen and see Mt. Fuji, why not take it from Tokyo to Odawara and then go on to Hakone on the ordinary train instead? That involves fewer detours and taking the shinkansen is actually one of the quicker ways to get there.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

tours 2010/9/5 08:10
I meant to mention- if you take an organised tour from Shinjuku to Fuji Five Lakes, you won't be using the shinkansen, as there are better ways to get there- bus is the usual way in that case.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks Sira 2010/9/5 14:07
That's a great tip, I may do just that Sira! Thanks for everyone's help!

One last question 2010/9/5 14:38
In your opinion, which place would be more interesting, have more things to do and more importantly, a closer view of mt fuji? Hakone or 5 lakes (which is also kawaguchiko and I could make my way up to 5th station)

If kawaguchiko is more interesting, I may just skip the Shinkansen then. 5 lakes look really beautiful from pictures..

Any thoughts?

Better views from 5 lakes 2010/9/5 17:55
I would say that Fuji five lakes have the better views while there is more to do in Hakone.

If the weather is not clear you might not see Fuji from either place, though, so if you decide to go to 5 lakes, try to leave your schedule open so you can go on a clear day, since viewing Mt Fuji is the main activity there.

alternative 2010/9/5 23:24
As another option which covers everything, how about a fuji tour? Basically it's a coach ride to mt fuji 5th station, a boat ride around lake ashi, a ropeway trip and then return to tokyo via the shinkansen.

It covers everything you want...at a price.

http://www.jtb-sunrisetours.jp/JTB.SunriseTours/frontend/tour.aspx?Tar...
by Pete (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread