Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

What is the one thing that... 2010/9/7 19:46
Think about it for a minute and choose the one thing (only one!) that intimidates you the MOST when thinking about traveling to Japan.

Post your answer below right now!
by AllYouCanJapan (guest)  

... 2010/9/8 13:32
Competing with the "tripot ojisans" for good photo spots during festivals and fireworks.
by Uji rate this post as useful

room service breakfast 2010/9/8 14:57
yeah, it is. My japanese is bad at the best of times, mornings it is worse, and while I prefer staying at places with limited english it is nearly impossible ordering breakfast. Sometimes we get hung up on, other times we just hope for the best and take what we can get.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Offending someone 2010/9/8 16:29
The customs are very different to a Western country and perhaps less well understood internationally than some other Asian cultures. I worry about unintentionally doing something offensive or saying something totally ridiculous with my very basic Japanese vocab.
by Toni (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/8 18:47
getting completely lost would screw with my plans lol but it could be fun
by sephorz rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/8 18:53
The fact that I have to come home......
by fmj rate this post as useful

kanji 2010/9/8 19:14
When I'm in a certain place like Japanese restaurant and I can't read the kanjis so I have to rely with pictures in the menu.
by lorrine rate this post as useful

The thing that comes to my mind 2010/9/8 22:57
The stairs! I have to go to many smaller train stations when I visit Japan and there are stairs everywhere. Over the tracks and under the tracks. If you are carrying large luggage (even a few small ones), it gets very tiring.
by Tess C rate this post as useful

Keep em coming 2010/9/9 05:43
Really interesting to hear what you guys have to say. Keep those answers coming!

If you have already been to Japan, think of the time before you first traveled there - what was most worrying/frightening for you?

Josh
by AllYouCanJapan (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2010/9/9 10:29
I would say...
Getting lost in Japan's complicated rail system!!
by jp_tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

money 2010/9/9 12:51
When I was MUCH younger and backpacking: running out of money....
by fmj rate this post as useful

time & $$$$$ 2010/9/9 13:25
unlimited stuff that u want to buy... so little time & $$$$ !
by lovejapan (guest) rate this post as useful

Talking on the phone 2010/9/9 15:06
Nothing intimidates me like the prospect of having to do some business over the phone in Japanese!
by jonsha rate this post as useful

Japan?? 2010/9/9 15:57
I had Japanese friends in Canada, where I live, years before I went to Japan for the first time so I had seen Japanese movies, my friends' home videos etc. and found out that many things they were doing where quite similar to what we were doing in Western Europe.

Right from the start I felt very much at home in Japan. Not like the huge cultural shock I felt during my first year in North America. ...
The Japanese trains and subways,the stations with lots of stairs etc. were just like the ones I was used to.
Same with the narrow residential streets, the homes right by the sidewalk, lots of bikes used by all sort of people, including very old ones, the instant hot water systems in the homes..
the list go on...heck, in my younger days we Europeans even used to bow to older adults or VIP!

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/9 16:54
The flight...I hate flying.
by AusEz rate this post as useful

Technologically.. 2010/9/9 17:17
Well Japan is technologically advanced just like the Western world so I can see why that could help tourists adapt to the place, but the culture and the way of doing things is still very different.

I can totally relate to "too much to do in Japan and so little time" - I haven't thought of that and it's really true!

Josh

Trash 2010/9/9 17:49
The trashbins...

It was so good to see that in Japan they collect the trash selectively. Akikan-bin-shinbun. But when I wanted to throw away a simple bag or a dirty clothes, it was really hard. I always had to go to a bigger city complex and find a moeru/moenai trashbin. I'm still confused with this.

As the japanese say: Gomo wa mochi-kaerimashou!
by Zoi rate this post as useful

Number 1 is... 2010/9/10 01:10
Most certainly that NORTH is not always up on the maps / guides.. ThatLs irratating and I canLt be arsed to always check it :P
by Kukko (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/9/18 02:05
Thanks everyone, feel free to keep posting answers!

reply to this thread