Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Anything special in Ikebukuro? 2010/9/10 08:30
Has anyone found anything especially worth doing or seeing in the Ikebukuro area of Tokyo?
by jonsha  

... 2010/9/10 12:34
Not me. There are many mildly interesting sights, but nothing outstanding for Tokyo standards.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Cats cats cats! 2010/9/10 17:36
Nekobukuro, of course!

Also Ikebukuro Tokkyu Hands is one of the better ones.
by Confused in Japan (guest) rate this post as useful

Only in Ikebukuro 2010/9/10 18:17
I think these are specialties of Ikebukuro:

1) Sunshine 60 storey building: Namja town, Aquarium, etc.
2) Movie: Shin-bungeiza (East side), this discounted movie theatre shows foreign movies. They also have all night movies!!
3) Bakery: Takase (East side), only found in this area with different taste. Another branch is in Itabashi. There is no other brance.
4) Parlors: Massage and Ear cleaning parlors (East side) on the back streets are unique. (watch out for No Foreigner mark at the entrance of some of those!!)
5) Sweets: Sweet Paradise (East side) for sweet, pasta buffet.
6) Buffalo tangue: Datenogyutan (East side) for set meals made from buffalo tongue also only in Ikebukuro.
7) Police box: Oh! Dont forget to look at the owl shape police box across from the JR east exit.
by Sohel (guest) rate this post as useful

and toyota showroom 2010/9/10 18:55
and there is also the toyota show room next to the sunshine city.
The reason I usually go to Ikebukuro is shopping. There is everything like in Shinjuku but less crowded.
by JJBurns (guest) rate this post as useful

Sunshine City Aquarium 2010/9/10 19:23
Note that aquarium in Sunshine City is currently closed for extensive renovation.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/10 21:31
Fukuro Matsuri/Annual Festival of Mitake Jinja Shrine (Toshima-ku) 2010.9.25(Sat)`2010.9.26(Sun)
Location: around JR Ikebukuro Sta. (West Exit), Toshima-ku, Tokyo
Transportation: JR Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro Sta. (West Exit)

http://www1.jnto.go.jp/eventcalendar/search_result_en.php?num=720

This festival in late September has many Taiko drum groups performing. This is worth going to see.
by geogeek1 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2010/9/11 11:16
Thanks for the suggestions. I've found that even in the most boring overlooked areas of Japan there's always SOMETHING to be seen!
by jonsha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread