Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

best place to visit during winter 2010/9/14 00:39
hi,

my family (incl 2 young children) are planning a trip to japan in dec. we just visited hokkaido in june and have no idea where in japan to go during winter.

also, what are some of the must see/do/activities during winter in japan? ny resorts to recommend?

we planning for about a week.
by connie (guest)  

... 2010/9/14 05:18
If you like winter sports, visiting one of the leading ski resorts will be great:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2262_resort.html

Snow surrounded onsen baths are great too:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2292_where.html

And city sightseeing is generally pleasant in winter:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

by Uji rate this post as useful

hi there! 2010/9/14 06:08
Hi Connie. First, can I ask you, how was Hokkaido in June weather wise? After our trip in winter this year (I'll get to that in a tick) I'm thinking Hokkaido next year, and June/July would be good.

Anyway, for me as a non skiier looking at my first real winter trip at Christmas this year (I've been in March, and it was cooooold!) I'm going to Kyoto for 4 days (again, this will be the 4th time), Takayama and surrounds for about 5 days (which should be nice and snowy) and then Kanazawa for 4 days to New Year, which also should have some snow. We take a pretty leisurely pace though, most people could "do" those places in a day or 2 each.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

Places in Nagano! 2010/9/14 14:19
Nagano is a fantastic place to visit in winter! Nagano hosted the Winter Olympics one year (i forgot exactly when in the 90s.) and they have pretty good transport infrastructure and entertainment. Do a visit to Jigokudani to see the monkeys relaxing in the hotspring, they're really cute! Relax and enjoy the cool fresh air while making your way there. But please remember to wear snow boots for the little hike! They have frequent buses from JR Nagano station to Jigokudani. But i think Jigokudani park closes in deep winter when the snow is too harsh, so please check if the park is closed on specific periods.

Nagano also has skiing resorts. There's one in Karuizawa, also in Shiga Kogen and also in Hakuba. Hakuba is famous for ski places and also the snow monsters. (trees coated with snow that resemble cone spikes)

You can also view Mt Asama from JR Karuizawa (shinkansen before arriving at JR Nagano). Mt Asama is also known as the ugly sister of Mt Fuji. JR Karuizawa also has a huge shopping outlet area with off-season brand bargains.
by maraschino cherries rate this post as useful

hokkaido in spring 2010/9/14 19:43
hi pious,

hokkaido is beautiful in spring.....weather is perfect, just throw a light scarf when the wind is strong!

however, we missed the full bloom of the flowers which would be a little later in july/aug...
by connie (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread