Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Marriage on tourist visa 2010/9/17 14:41
This isn't simply a question of if you can get married on a student visa..I know you can do that. I just got back from spending almost ninety days in Japan using the visa waiver program for the first time this year. I'd like to go back ASAP and marry my fiance. Is it better to try to apply for an actual tourist visa versus trying to use the VWP again so soon? I was ''denied entry'' to Japan 1 year ago for trying to go for a third VWP, although this was not entirely intentional. I only went to Japan once this year, so I may be able to go normally again but I don't want them to be suspicious. And if not, I'm not sure if getting a proper tourist visa and saying I'm getting married will be enough. Any ideas? Is there anything my fiance in Japan can do to help this process? Please let me know! Thanks.
by M (guest)  

At least... 2010/9/17 16:19
M:
At least he can send you an invitation letter mentioning that he is willing to support you financially during your stay in Japan. After getting the true copy, you submit it with your tourist visa application package so that you dont need bank solvency proof of yourself.
I also like to mention that you might need copies of his alien registration card (assuming he is a foreigner in Japan), employment/student certificate, income/scholarship certificate, and passport (all pages).
Once you get a local sponsor (financial guarantor), it's easier to get approval for a tourist visa.
by Sohel (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/17 23:23
Thanks for your reply. A few more details: I'm an American and my fiance is Japanese. Is it legally acceptable to put intended marriage as the reason for going to go to Japan on a tourist visa or when using the visa waiver program? I can get an invitation letter, letter of guarantee and any other possible things proving my true intentions, etc. but those may also be used when entering using the VWP, correct? Will trying to apply for a tourist visa just be a waste of time? Thanks!
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

visa 2010/9/18 03:01
Correct me if I am wrong but don't US citizens, like citizens of quite a few other countries, get a tourist visa at the Japanese airport they land in? or as the procedure changed lately??

by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/18 14:55
I'm not a lawyer, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that US citizens can even apply for tourist visa - you are automatically under the visa waiver program, so that you don't apply in advance but you simply get your passport stamped "Temporary Visitor Status" valid for 90 days UPON entering Japan.

I believe that the reason you were denied entry last year must have been because you went over the 180 days/year limit. Then they have every right to suspect that you are not just visiting for sightseeing, and/or that you might be working in Japan on that status, etc.

I think the best thing is not to come back into Japan too soon (like in less than a month), but next time you come in, get married in Japan, apply for a Spouse of Japanese national, etc status, while the temporary visitor status is valid, so that you can stay in Japan. Saying that you plan to get married when coming on a temporary visitor status sounds like you are intending to stay for a long-term (not YET with the proper visa), so I recommend against it, actually.
by AK rate this post as useful

I wouldnt 2010/9/18 15:15
I also recommend against writing it - it could become a reason to deny you entry.

The US embassy website should have good info.
by anon (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/20 12:31
Thanks for the replies. There is a lot of information getting married inside Japan, but not much information on speaking to immigration about it prior to entry. I briefly spoke to the Japanese embassy here, and they can't seem to help me either. It is possible to apply for a tourist visa, but it may not even change the outcome. I am going to try to contact immigration in Japan and see what they say, if anything. If the only way is to just go and enter normally, would I just say I'm visiting my girlfriend again?
by M (guest) rate this post as useful

Visa 2010/9/20 15:52
"Temporary Visitor Status"
Thanks AK... I meant to say that but just couldn't remember the exact name so late in the evening.....
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread