Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Can passes be used between regions ? 2010/9/20 22:03
I am planning to travel Japan for more than a month abd considering different regional passes.
Can I know how do I travel between the regions ? Must I pay for a seperated full fare ticket ?
by Stanley (guest)  

Passes 2010/9/22 04:12
Have you looked at the maps of areas covered by the various regional passes? I am pretty sure that one ends where another one starts but then you would have to be sure to start pass #2 the day you travel on a trip overlapping the regions covered by pas#1 and pass #2 then later on pass#2 and pass #3 etc.

Are you aware that you can buy several JR passes (covering the whole country) for example one for 3 weeks plus one for 7 days? or even 1 for 14 days and one for 7 days if you stay 1 week in Tokyo, where a JR 7 days pass is not worth the price.

First thing to do is to check the area covered by each regional pass (for example the JR Sanyo West pass does NOT cover the Kansai east of Osaka so Kyoto is off limits) and add the cost of all these passes versus 2 JR (country wide) passes.

Note also that each regional pass is for a specific number of days. they aren't all for 1 week or ..etc.
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/22 08:38
Theoretically, it seems that the JR East Pass and Hokkaido Rail Pass can be used together. But unless you use the temporarily avail;able 3-day pass, it is unlikely to make any sense, and can be difficult to achieve because of the places where the passes can be exchanged/purchased.

The Sanyo Pass and Kyushu Rail Pass could be theoretically used together to cover the Sanyo Region and Kyushu, but the Japan Rail Pass is likely to be the better offer.

No other combination is possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Can be confusing 2010/9/27 19:12
It might cause a lot of stress trying to figure out what pass works where, and how to travel from one are to another with different passes so I'd recommend the Japan Rail Pass http://www.jrpass.com overall. Then you can travel the whole of the country and you can mix and match with the types you need - 7, 14 or 21 days.
by kitty_chan (guest) rate this post as useful

Seishun 18 pass 2010/9/28 22:27
What about Seishun 18 pass? can it be used between regions?
by sha (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/29 06:58
The Seishun 18 Kippu is a nationwide pass! Please read the basics here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2362.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread