Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Minimum Japan ATM withdrawal? 2010/9/21 00:07
I'm speaking about debit cards issued outside Japan.
by Ray (guest)  

min. 2010/9/21 10:46
1000 yen
by Bean (guest) rate this post as useful

...... 2010/9/21 11:03
But many overseas banks charge a flat transaction fee which can be worth checking in advance. We found it better to draw larger amounts less often than we might at home.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/21 12:43
For seven-eleven ATMs 10,000 yen minimum for foreign cards.

All other ATMs, eg Post Office, Citibank, Shinsei Bank, 1000yen.

Remember not all ATMs take, foreign cards, only certain ATMs. eg Post Office and Citibank. Somtimes 7-11 and Shinseibank depending on your card.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

he asked about the minimum not max 2010/9/21 21:27
minimum is 1000 yen. ATM's don't dispense coins (500,100,50,10,5,1)
by poopoohead rate this post as useful

also 2010/9/21 21:29
also depends on your bank. you should call them before you leave for japan and tell them that you will be using your card abroad otherwise they'll freeze your card like they did with me my first time here

forum needs an edit button 2010/9/21 21:34
the above post was intended for maximum withdrawl

ATM maximum 2010/9/22 03:47
I suspected as much!
maximum withdrawal, more often than not, depends on your own bank. You have to talk to them before going on your trip anyway, as otherwise they might block all and any transaction, so ask them about the max limit. don't forget that it is based on the time and date in your country, not in Japan.

Also the ATM may be down for servicing in the middle of the night in your country, so to access it in Japan make sure that it is from 6 am on..in your country.

Be sure to look at the info your bank teller enter on the computer...once a teller thought that I wanted to BLOCK the use of an ATM!!!!
She had never travelled outside our country and couldn't understand why I wanted to use an ATM in a foreign country...

I pay hotel and big ticket items with a credit card, using cash only for inexpensive to medium price meals and snacks, entrance to some sightseeing places etc. so I find that I don't need that much cash...
All the same it makes sense to withdraw the equivalent of 300-400$ at once
by Red frog (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/22 08:34
Maximum is usually 1 million yen. But as mentioned above, your card's maximum is likely to be much lower.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread