Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Between Kanazawa and Hakone 2010/9/23 09:08
I have a Japan Rail Pass and intend to make a 4 hour journey from Tokyo to Kanazawa. I would stay in Kanazawa for 1 night and would like to make a mid-stop stop between Kanazawa and Hakone before arriving at Hakone. Do you have any recommendation? We have been to Kyoto, Osaka and Tokyo and prefer to visit old towns and villages and beautiful scenery. Concern is on the train and bus journey which hopefully should not exceed 4 hours. Have considered both Nagoya and Izu Peninisula but the travelling time is too long.

Thanks in advance for your help.
by ABC (guest)  

Shirakawa-go and Takayama 2010/9/23 11:41
It is about 75 min by bus from Kanazawa to Shirakawa-go. Ideally spend a night in one of the unique gassho-zukuri farmhouses there. Even without staying the night, scenic Shirakawa-go is worth visiting for a couple of hrs before continuing by bus to Takayama. Bus journey from Shirakawa-go to Takayama is only 50 min. Takayama is worth at least one night's stay for its Hida Beef dinner and one of the 2 interesting morning markets. The old town district should give you a traditional rural Japanese feel. From Takayama you can continue your onward journey to Hakone by JR.
by William5 rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/23 14:16
Do I understand you correctly that you will do a one night trip from Tokyo to Kanazawa and then to Hakone? In that case, I strongly recommend to use your entire limited time to enjoy Kanazawa. The city has enough sights to keep you busy for 2-3 days.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread