Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Activate JR Pass at Haneda Airport 2010/9/24 11:01
Hi,

I will be arriving at Haneda Airport @ 20.30 May 3, 2011 and plan to purchase a 7day JR Pass to use while I am in Tokyo.

1. I have checked the JR site and Haneda Airport is not listed as a JR Pass activation center.

I hope it's just that the site has not been updated yet and it's possible to do so at Haneda Airport. Can anyone confirm whether i can activate the JRPass at Haneda upon arrival there? If not, where is the nearest centre that i can activate it?

2. would it be possible for me to immediately get an overnite train to Kyoto upon arrival?

3. Can i apply get a membership for Toyoko hotels from overseas ie via online? If i am a member what is the earliest date for me to book a room?

4. Since i am arriving during the Golden Week, is it better for me to see Tokyo first and only travel to Kyoto on 5 May or 6 May?

Thank you for any assistance.

by Petunia (guest)  

Japan Rail Pass 2010/9/24 11:28
Petunia,

1. I have checked the JR site and Haneda Airport is not listed as a JR Pass activation center.

Haneda Airport is not listed because it is not served by JR. You can activate your railpass at Shinagawa or Tokyo stations in Tokyo, or at any of the other locations listed on the official site.

2. would it be possible for me to immediately get an overnite train to Kyoto upon arrival?

No, there are no overnight trains to Kyoto. It takes just over two and a half hours by shinkansen.

4. Since i am arriving during the Golden Week, is it better for me to see Tokyo first and only travel to Kyoto on 5 May or 6 May?

Yes, I would strongly recommend avoiding long-distance travel in Japan during Golden Week, so it would make more sense to stay in Tokyo first and travel to Kyoto later.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

questions 2010/9/24 11:29

I hope it's just that the site has not been updated yet and it's possible to do so at Haneda Airport. Can anyone confirm whether i can activate the JRPass at Haneda upon arrival there?

Yes you will be able to exchange for your pass there. A new exchange office is scheduled to open at Haneda on October 21, 2010

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/press/20100702/index.html

3. Can i apply get a membership for Toyoko hotels from overseas ie via online?

No, application must be made in person

If i am a member what is the earliest date for me to book a room?

6 months in advance
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

night train 2010/9/24 11:37

If you wish to immediately head to Kyoto then consider taking a night bus. Be aware however, that it is likely to be booked out pretty early so make your reservations asap. In the case you take the bus you should consider NOT getting the JR pass as it will likely not pay off for your itinerary.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

thank you for your replies 2010/9/24 11:55
All your kind responses have been noted.

I have checked the Willer Express bus site and there is an overnite bus from Tokyo (shinagawa st) to Kyoto at about 23.30.

Since i arrive at 20.30 at Haneda airport - would i be able to catch this coach? I would save time and overnite accommodation if i can do this.

However, i am v hesitant as it is on 3May (golden week) - would those who leave Tokyo have left already by then?

How far in advance can i book the Willer Express coach online?

I an still in the initial planning stage of my trip to Japan - first trip.

If 3May travel out of Tokyo would be disastrous, would 5May be ok already?

thanks

by petunia (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/9/24 11:56
Regarding Toyoko Inn membership, at the first Toyoko Inn you check into, sign up for the membership and they will take your photo and issue you with a card. You will then start collecting points for your free night and get any discounts due. The only thing you will not get automatically is the early check-in. If future hotels you have booked still have rooms, you could cancel and re-book using the card to get early check-in. Note also that when you are asked to enter your name on the web site, make sure it is all in UPPER CASE as it appears on the card or you will get an error message.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

.......... 2010/9/24 16:35
Petunia,
U have not mentioned how long is yr trip, whereas u are going besides Kyoto, are u going home via Haneda?
With these info, then it is easier for others to advise u accordingly.
1) If u are going home via Haneda and prefer to travel by train, then a 7day JR railpass will pay-off for Tokyo-Kyoto-Tokyo. And u can use the pass for other JR train rides for yr trip duration. Note: the new JR Pass centre at Haneda closes at 18:00hrs. So u may not be able to exchange and activate yr pass upon arrival.
2) It is yr first trip to Japan and arrived at 20:30hrs. Wonder how u will manage to find yr way around Tokyo at night, looking for the bus terminus. I have been to Tokyo 3 times, and yet not at all familiar with Shinagawa area.
3) Suggest u make a rough travel plan, to figure out yr best transport option.

by CYC (guest) rate this post as useful

Agree I need more planning 2010/9/24 17:25
Hi CYC,

I agree that i need to plan a bit more - at this stage i am just so excited that all my thoughts are jumbled.

I will be in Japan for 7 days and arrive & depart from Haneda.

Thanks for everyone's advice and I will research n plan a bit more before I ask for further assistance (which i am sure i will need).

Same inquiry 2010/9/26 15:16
Petunia..

I'm having the same doubts as you are.. I'll be arriving in Japan at Haneda on March 3rd 2011.. possibly at 1030pm.

I'm thinking of going straight to Kyoto upon arriving.. but reading from earlier post, it's hard for a first timer to find the bus point for Willer's bus.. Can anyone provide me with a better suggestion. I'm also thinking of taking a low cost flight to Kyoto, i mean the earliest price.

I hope somebody will help me with this! thanks!
by Sha (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/26 17:36
Your options are outlined here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/26 22:11
thanks Uji.. i've checked out the page you've suggested..

i wonder if Seishun 18 is good choice for low budget trip? my other concern about this pass, will i be able to purchase the pass when i arrived? Is it a limited pass? there's no way i could buy it earlier than the day i arrive.. can anyone please clarify this for me?

thanks in advance.
by Sha (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/27 07:19
i wonder if Seishun 18 is good choice for low budget trip?

Only if you like long trips by local train. Overnight buses are usually the better alternative.

my other concern about this pass, will i be able to purchase the pass when i arrived?

If you arrive during its sales period, yes. There are no limits.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks so much.. 2010/9/27 10:06
Uji.. thanks so much.. you've helped a lot.. i'll be asking more question if i have more doubts..

from what i've found, those trains have beautiful scenery along the railways.. and i would love to experience that.. i'm relieved to hear, that the pass is unlimited.

IS there any overnight buses service available from Haneda or near Haneda?
by sha (guest) rate this post as useful

where to go for few hours b4 shinkansen 2010/9/27 10:17
Hi everyone,

following Sha's queries, I wonder about this.

Arrival at Haneda airport is already very late and the earliest shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto is 6.20am the following morning.

Is there any place whether in Haneda or Shinagawa station or Tokyo station (sorry i cant remember off hand which station to take the shinkansen to Kyoto) or very nearby that he can while away those few hours between arrival at Haneda and boarding the shinkansen to Kyoto.

thanks to all who have been so helpful in this question forum.

Shinkansen to Kyoto 2010/9/27 17:30
You have to take Shinkansen to Kyoto at TOKYO station.
by KTM (guest) rate this post as useful

SHINAGAWA is closer than TOKYO 2010/9/27 17:39
Sorry,SHINAGAWA STATION is closer than TOKYO STATION (from Haneda).

You may consider this website to plan your trip
http://www.hyperdia.com/
by KTM (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread