Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Changing Trains in Tokyo Station 2010/10/11 02:26
Hi,

I have boarded Shinkansens to Kyoto from Shinagawa station a couple of times and generally know the layout of the station. However, I have not used the Tokyo Station to board Shinkansens, and the maps of Tokyo Station that I have seen looks confusing. I am trying to figure out how I can change from the Narita Express to Shinkansen to Kyoto at the Tokyo Station. Can anyone help me with some simplified maps or directions?

Thank you.
by JP Japan Visitor (guest)  

Map... 2010/10/11 11:27
During my trip two years ago, the NEX was located on the underground portion (bottom of map), while the Tokaido Shinkansen was located at platforms 16 through 19 above ground (top of map).

However, they were doing renovations on the station back then, and I'm not sure if it still applies now.

Here's a map. Hope it's not the same one as you have.
http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/stations/e1039.html
by yvrboi (guest) rate this post as useful

Shinkansen platforms (ground level) 2010/10/11 11:37
in my trip in march this year, NEX arrives at basement 9 (i think?) of Tokyo station.
Shinkansen platforms are all at ground level.
by jp_tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

apologies in my prev posting! 2010/10/11 11:41
it should not be Basement 9!

i just realised NEX trains arrives at B4 platforms...
Just take a lift up from B4 ,then follow the signs to the Shinkansen gates.
by jp_tourist (guest) rate this post as useful

No need 2010/10/11 17:24
NEX goes to Shinagawa: advise strongly to change there as it really is MUCH easier
by fmj rate this post as useful

just follow the signs 2010/10/11 19:03
Everything is neatly indicated on the signs and you just have to follow.
In Tokyo station you just have to go up three flights of escalators and then you will be able to go through the Shinkansen gates
In Shinagawa station it is even easier but not all Shinkansen to Kyoto stop in Shinagawa.
Have a good trip
by iwander rate this post as useful

. 2010/10/11 19:14
Actually, all Tokaido Shinkansen trains now stop at Shinagawa and have done since March 2008.
by RobBeer (guest) rate this post as useful

Thank you 2010/10/12 11:02
Thank you everyone for your replies. That is the same map I have also seen, but with the helpful replies it is much easier to understand now.

I wanted to board it at Tokyo because it originates from there and hence I have better chances of getting an unreserved seat.
by JP Japan Visitor (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread